Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Oct 21, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
keely21
Very Serious Dibber

Really anxious

With the exciting news of borders opening in November its dawned on me that my trip may go ahead and I'm now feeling really anxious. I keep telling myself covid is here to stay and if I dont go then will I ever go abroad again. I dont want my kids to never travel again but the worry of catching covid is really playing on my mind. Pls don't anyone get on here and be smart and make me feel like an idiot for being anxious or tell me dont go. I want to go, we want to travel again but we are still worried. Other than hand sanitising and masks is there anything else we can do to prevent catching it or at least make it less severe should we get it such as something we can take etc pls no judgements ive really struggled with my mental health through all this but am trying to get back some normality more for my kids so this fear doesn't affect them any more.

Trip is November 11th 2021 and I'm double vaccinated due my booster the week before and my 2 children have had their first vaccine.

Edited at 10:40 AM.
keely21 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Fleurlur
Getting Excited

Have you had your vaccines? That will help a lot with making sure its less severe if you were to catch it.
Wear your mask, be vigilant with hand hygiene and avoid super crowded areas if possible!
I've managed the whole pandemic without catching it so far (touch wood) and I'm in healthcare, caring for positive patients, if that helps ease your worries somewhat.
Big hugs!
Old 13 Oct 21, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

One thing you haven’t mentioned, if you want it to be less severe, is having the vaccine.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
minnie moomoo
VIP Dibber

Hi Keely.
When is your trip ?

Being anxious is normal.
Wanting to know how best to get yourself ready to go and be safe is normal.
Masks, hand sanitizer and lots fresh air is all we can do.

Doing these things will be the control you have.
Have you started getting back to 'normal' here at home yet ? Shops etc ?

I know I was anxious about sending my children back to school without safety measures in place. But things do feel more normal now.

DLP, Davy Crocketts Ranch. Sept 2013. DLP, Sequoia lodge, GF, Oct 2014. DLP, Santa Fe, May 2015. DLP, Sequoia Lodge GF. May 2016. DLP, Sequoia Lodge. Aug 2017. Les Alicourts Resort 2017 WDW, Caribbean Beach Resort. Sept 2018 Camping La croix du vieux pont 2018 DLP, Sequoia Lodge, GF. Aug 2019.
WDW, Port Orleans Resort, Grande Villas Resort, Cabana Bay Resort. Aug 2022 DLP, Davy Crocketts Ranch. Aug 2023. Les Alicourts Resort 2023
minnie moomoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by keely21 View Post
With the exciting news of borders opening in November its dawned on me that my trip may go ahead and I'm now feeling really anxious. I keep telling myself covid is here to stay and if I dont go then will I ever go abroad again. I dont want my kids to never travel again but the worry of catching covid is really playing on my mind. Pls don't anyone get on here and be smart and make me feel like an idiot for being anxious or tell me dont go. I want to go, we want to travel again but we are still worried. Other than hand sanitising and masks is there anything else we can do to prevent catching it or at least make it less severe should we get it such as something we can take etc pls no judgements ive really struggled with my mental health through all this but am trying to get back some normality more for my kids so this fear doesn't affect them any more.
Keely, I think your anxiety is completely normal. Please don't beat yourself up about it. Fear of the unknown and staying within your comfort zone has become normality for a lot of people and of course you worry for your children.

I don't think you find a 'normal' population on a Disney travel forum. Here you have many people who will travel whatever is in front of them.

All I can say is that my husband has been content in his own space and not going out much, a bit anxious, a bit hermit like and content to stay in. I moved him out of that place and we went abroad on holiday he wasn't sure if he wanted to go, he had an amazing time and it has altered his whole being.

Be kind to yourself, accept that anxiety at present is part of life and is not just you. You will have a good time, no one can say you or your family will never catch Covid. But, as long as you have done all you can to protect yourselves talking the first step will be life enhancing.

You are perfectly normal
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Hmr89
slightly serious Dibber

I promise that it does get better after doing the first trip abroad, it's like a barrier that you have to push through. I was dreading the airport and flight experience and enjoyed it so much that I've been away twice more since and have Florida booked for November.
Whilst travelling, try and remember that pretty much everyone around you will be vaccinated, recently tested or both.
Would recommend FFP2 masks for flying as they offer greater protection for the wearer (and I find them more comfy for long periods of time anyway).
The vaccine is the greatest thing for reducing severity of symptoms so by having that you've already done all you can and your immune system will be primed to do the rest. Throw yourself into planning mode and focus on the things that you are looking forward to about holiday xxx
Hmr89 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
keely21
Very Serious Dibber

Thank you all, I'm double vaccinated and due my booster at the beginning of November. My two children have also had their first jab. Just my 3 year old who hasn't. I have a ridiculous amount of hand sanitiser, wipes for tbe plane and ffp2 masks. Just trying to think of anything else I can do really.
Old 13 Oct 21, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

Maybe slightly dark but one thing is perspective. You are much more likely to get hurt travelling to the airport than perish from Covid. Risk is a funny thing. Those front of the centre in our mind, we worry about, but they are not necessarily the greatest risk and there is risk in everything, sorry to say. That's a living reality.

You have to think about what we are actually worried about with Covid. And before anybody jumps at me, I've worked in the vaccination programme as a volunteer and I know people who have lost their life to Covid. It can be serious, as can many other illnesses. But for fit and healthy people, in the vast majority of cases, it causes benign symptoms, if any at all. The problem is it causes serious illness in a small percentage of people, and where that small percentage of people become a big number of people, as it can be an uncontrolled pandemic, we have issues with our health service capacity. That's what we are trying to stop. The UK and the USA for the most part have that under control.

We can't stop viruses, again they are just a reality of life and we are all exposed to them regularly.

Do what you are comfortable with. Have the vaccine, practice space, wear a mask, keep hands clean as works for you. Be respectful of others and their wishes. But can I suggest there are bigger issues and just enjoy yourself? You get one life.

Edited at 10:44 AM.
Bal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Fleurlur
Getting Excited

Thank you all, I'm double vaccinated and due my booster at the beginning of November. My two children have also had their first jab. Just my 3 year old who hasn't. I have a ridiculous amount of hand sanitiser, wipes for tbe plane and ffp2 masks. Just trying to think of anything else I can do really.
Sounds like you're doing everything you can!
Old 13 Oct 21, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
silver_age
Excited about Disney

I take the view that if you've had both your vaccines (and possibly a booster too soon), then you've done all you can to probably avoid catching it altogether or at worst reduce the symptoms if you do. After that it comes down to getting on with life as I think it's going to be with us forever now, like flu.
silver_age is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List