Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 3 Jul 20, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneyhm
VIP Dibber

Iceland in December

Hi all,

Has anyone been to Iceland in December and can give me any advice/recommendations. My husband has always wanted to go and see the Northern Lights. I am looking at packages through TUI so need to look at cancellation policies etc as don't want to be caught out if the world is still wonky.
Disneyhm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 20, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Hmr89
slightly serious Dibber

I really reccomend DIY over package. I've been before and want to go again in December so I had a quick look at TUI- 3 nights = £1469

Same hotel booked DIY and Easyjet flights from Gatwick, same tours and airport transfers come to £572.
Plus I know that incase of Covid problems I can move my easyjet flights for free, book a refundable hotel and leave the excursions to the last minute before parting with any money. (Tours never sell out, I booked the Northern Lights tour on the day last time and they just rope in extra tour guides and drivers if things are looking busy. Grayline Iceland (promo code SEE5 for 5% off) are fab for all of the above (inc airport transfers) and brilliant at refunding or rescheduling quickly if bad weather cancels tours.
Hmr89 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 20, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Jessika
Apprentice Imagineer

Hello we went to Iceland in April 2018. I bought flights through BA and I think I also booked the hotel through BA. We hired a car at the airport which we’d also pre booked. We stayed 3 nights and drove to most places. I did book tours to see the northern lights and also a whale watching trip both through greyline and we were picked up and dropped back to our hotel for both. Our trip was absolutely amazing, Iceland is one of the most beautiful places I’ve seen And somewhere I’d definitely love to revisit.
Jessika is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 20, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
fissycist
Excited about Disney

Mobile

TUI is very overpriced. Try icelandair. They can book flight, hotel and even experiences.
I have travelled with them twice, once with DDs and also went with DH last year in December for my 50th birthday.
Northern Lights are not guaranteed but we saw a fantastic show on a special boat trip on my actual birthday.
I think we only paid £349 per person for a 3 night trip which included hotel, flights and northern lights boat trip.
We are planning to go back again another time.
fissycist is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 20, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

Please do DIY I used Easyjet for flights, stayed at The Skuggi Hotel using hotels.com and cashback and Geoice for all our trips out.

We went in march and it was very sunny but very cold and please remember you may not see the northern lights although we struck lucky on our first night there and saw them

Also please be aware in December there are only about 4 hours of daylight so it will be a dark trip.

Iceland is one of the most unusual and breathtaking places I have been to
Old 12 Jul 20, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

I am thinking of a weekend in Iceland next Feb. So far I have found some great deals on BA for flight plus hotel for 3 nights, round about £240pp which I thought was really reasonable.
Taking note of some of these hotels and tour companies in case we go DIY

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List