Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Jul 20, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenS View Post
She is off to Dundee Uni. Glasgow would have been her first choice because of where we live. She did get an interview but she didn’t get in. She is super excited about going to Dundee now though and living in halls. I just hope it all works out for them. Which uni is your son going to?
Oh we liked Dundee a lot at the open day last year!

Our son is off to St Andrews, wouldn't have been our personal first choice due, like you said about your DD it not being the closest and him having to move away into halls, but he absolutely loved it there from the first time he stepped in the place!

What a whirlwind year, I hope it works out for them all too
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 20, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Flossiemay
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Deanotheworker View Post
My Middle daughter is waiting for her ‘a’ level exam results .
She has taken 3 subjects and has had her university offer to study biomedical science .
She wanted to do medicine but the chances of getting in to study medicine is about 1 in 10
She need ABB minimum to do biomedical science
This is what She has been predicted But her school hasn’t performed well over the last few years .
We have concerns about this and am worried that her predicted grades could be down graded , we have encouraged her to do some studying just incase she doesn’t get the grades and has to take her exam .
I feel sorry for the children doing their exams as many might not get what they deserve ..
Where is your daughter hoping to go?
My Dd is doing biomedical science and we are in the same position of hoping that the grades are enough x
Flossiemay is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 20, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

I feel for you all. My dd was awaiting A Level results last year and needed AAA. It was an incredibly stressful wait. I imaging it is more so for you all with the uncertainty around the grading this year. Wishing lots and lots of luck.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 20, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Ds4ljs
Imagineer

Ds4ljs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

I really feel for all the students in this situation. DD also waiting for her a-level results.
Ds4ljs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 20, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
We are in same position but looking for AAA for an Oxbridge place.

There is a lot of news stories about this and the exam boards looking to "temper" the enthusiastic predictions of the teachers - which were 12% higher than the average of the last three years actual results.

The exam boards are saying that even after this "tempering" grades are still up 2% on the average.

The area they say they have had to make the most adjustments is

around the B/C boundary for A Level as most UNI offers are B and above so teachers have been "nice" to solid C students and suggested a B (if the exam board is to be believed)

around the 3/4 boundary in GCSE as a three means retaking ENG/Maths next year but a 4 doesn't (same reason as above)

and also around the 5/6 boundary as a 6 is a solid "B" in old money and pushes the school up the ranking (although this years figures are going to be ignored in rankings apparently)
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 20, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
loobz
Imagineer

loobz's Reviews
we have a very anxious son who is awaiting GCSE results. He was very upset at not being able to sit his exams as he felt he was robbed of the chance to prove what he was capable of. He's a bright lad and was predicted good grades but the stories of downgrading across the board is worrying him. I just hope that he starts college as scheduled in September and that he gets the chance to sit his A Levels in a couple of years time.

I remember BJ saying that no student would be disadvantaged (or words to that effect) but I'm not so sure that's going to be true
Old 29 Jul 20, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
The problem with the approach this year is they told everyone how it would work before telling teachers not to discuss it with pupils.

So all teachers seemed to have a "I'm going to predict you an X" conversation with their pupils. This now means the kids have expectations that might not be met.

They could have handled this so much better, I realise it's a weird unprecedented year but they are messing with 2m kids mental well-being - a little more planning and a little less rushing to make announcements would have been better in hindsight
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 20, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Deanotheworker
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Mobile

Originally Posted by 123 View Post
The problem with the approach this year is they told everyone how it would work before telling teachers not to discuss it with pupils.

So all teachers seemed to have a "I'm going to predict you an X" conversation with their pupils. This now means the kids have expectations that might not be met.

They could have handled this so much better, I realise it's a weird unprecedented year but they are messing with 2m kids mental well-being - a little more planning and a little less rushing to make announcements would have been better in hindsight
It’s a impossible situation , my daughter has friends who are happy not to have the stress of exams , yet some of her friends wanted to do exams .

If they had taken exams and got poor scores , they would have blamed it on not having lessons in school and the best preparation.

If they don’t get the scores they want they’ll say it’s because the teacher didn’t like them or they didn’t take the mocks seriously and work hard for the actual exams
Deanotheworker is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 20, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Deanotheworker
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Mobile

Originally Posted by Flossiemay View Post
Where is your daughter hoping to go?
My Dd is doing biomedical science and we are in the same position of hoping that the grades are enough x
She’s got UCL as firm and imperial as insurance
Deanotheworker is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 20, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Well, it's just two 'sleeps' until our boy gets his results here in Scotland. He has been keeping busy and not saying much, but I can tell he is thinking about it as it gets so much closer!
(I think his Dad and I are actually more nervous than he is though)

Good luck to others waiting on Scottish results this week - and , for others in other parts of the UK, it won't be long your your turn either!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List