Notices
Itineraries Post your Trip Itineraries here.

Old 11 Nov 19, 12:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Scoobert
First POST

Mobile 21-day itinerary

Hi
I have read numerous different posts and different sites about how to plan for Disney.
I am about to start planning an itinerary for our trip for July 2020 for our family (2 adults, 11 & 7 yo).

Before I start, any must-do or do-nots? I plan to post proposed itinerary up here for comments/suggestions anyway but thought I'd ask before I start!

We fly in late afternoon 30th June Nd staying at Coronado Springs for 14 nights (with Disney dining plan). We are then staying on International Drive for 7 nights when we plan to do Universal/Discovery Cove etc.

So we have 14 full days for Disney.

One thing I'm unsure about is 4th July. While I hear fireworks etc are amazing don't know if crowds will make it too much for the kids?

Thanks in advance
Scoobert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Scoobert View Post
Hi
I have read numerous different posts and different sites about how to plan for Disney.
I am about to start planning an itinerary for our trip for July 2020 for our family (2 adults, 11 & 7 yo).

Before I start, any must-do or do-nots? I plan to post proposed itinerary up here for comments/suggestions anyway but thought I'd ask before I start!

We fly in late afternoon 30th June Nd staying at Coronado Springs for 14 nights (with Disney dining plan). We are then staying on International Drive for 7 nights when we plan to do Universal/Discovery Cove etc.

One thing I'm unsure about is 4th July. While I hear fireworks etc are amazing don't know if crowds will make it too much for the kids?

Thanks in advance
You have, I suspect, your very first "do not" in your post there... Veterans' Day today, and FB shows the parks rammed; I've been before in Feb, and Presidents' Day was huge. And 4th July is, well, America... I'd be nowhere near a Disney Park on a US public Holiday, there's fireworks every night in MK or Epcot to be enjoyed.
IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 19, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

We are there for 4th of July next year too. We actually fly out the day after you. I had been having similar thoughts about July 4th. I think our plan will be to hot one of the parks we can walk to from YC early, do our fast passes and then get out maybe have a resort day. Will try for a restaurant where we can view fireworks in the evening. If we can't get a reservation I will give it some more thought.

*Edit* last year was our first trip and I read loads of advice on how to plan the itinerary but to be honest it's such an individual thing. Get a plan and then be flexible with it once you are there.
August 2021 - Anthem of the seas UK mini cruise Trip report *completed*
Vegas/LA Aug 22 - Trip Report In Progress

Edited at 06:46 PM.
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 19, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post

I don’t believe in must dos or do nots, plan for yourselves. Some people like being in the Disney parks on busy days like Christmas and New Year, it is not for me though and if I were there on your dates I would be spending the weekend of 4/5 July by the pool.

I don’t plan Universal as no need. For Disney, my planning is done on a spreadsheet and the first thing I do is see how many park days I have in total and then I decide how many days in each park. Well kind of, in practice we will do more than one park a day and maybe a waterpark, but what I am actually planning is which park I will book my first three fast passes for each day.

If I had say twelve days on which I could book fastpasses, I would probably split it as four lots of FP in Magic Kingdom, three each in Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios and two in Epcot. I then try to alternate the days in each park. I don’t often make use of EMH, but others do and these are available at least six months in advance so some onsite guests would allocate their days depending on what park has morning EMH.

Once I have my park days sorted, I think about dining, just the bookable ones that is. These days I have good knowledge of the options so I don’t need to research, I know what I fancy and any park based ones I would fit in around my plans.

When I plan fastpasses, I try to book the ones I know are more difficult to get, so for example I will tend to book the mountain rides in MK as other rides tend to be easier to get on the day. Similarly if I am going to AK more than once I would book FOP more than once rather than try to cover all the rides, again because I am more likely to pick up other fastpasses on the day as extras.

I enjoy planning and that is why I do it, but I would never say it is essential. I end up changing the majority of my dining reservations and I even change quite a few of my fastpasses, although if I have a particularly hard to get one booked then I am less likely to change.

Edited at 10:08 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 20, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
GBScott
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

I would watch some vlogs and you may get some idea of what looks good to you. Some of my must do’s for table service are Ohana, Cali Grill, Cinderella’s Royal Table and Be Our Guest. I would say Universal is a must do as we are Harry Potter Fans too
GBScott is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Bradz
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Scoobert View Post
Hi

Before I start, any must-do or do-nots? I plan to post proposed itinerary up here for
comments/suggestions anyway but thought I'd ask before I start!

Thanks in advance
Everyone is different but for me I always try to do 3 (4 max) days of parks followed by a rest day/ waterpark. I use the discovery cove day as a rest day!

You need to research the Disney Parks and find out the most popular rides at the parks and use your fast passes wisely (There are websites that tell you the most popular) Book a month in advance at the stroke of 1200hrs (dinner) on the app or two months if you are staying at a Disney Resort. As soon as you swipe that last FP get on the free WiFi in the Disney parks and book your next ride on the app whilst queuing.

Definitely make a planner calendar but don’t be afraid to change it whilst your there. You may like a certain park more than others?

I’ve used ‘Orlando Undercover Tourist’ crowd control but don’t know how accurate they are so don’t really pay them much attention. I’ve attached my basic plan at the minute. Still have to add the fast passes, meals I’ve booked at Disney Springs etc..
Bradz is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Funkymoover
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I had to start mine last week ready for July as we are meeting American friends there so they wanted to know when to come (they want to do Disney but not universal) so did a quick draft
First week is just Disney, three days of parks followed by a day off that will likely be a water park as hubby loves them. Second week we are doing Busch gardens and sea world and will probably go back to magic kingdom and Epcot (possibly Hollywood studios as we do like Star Wars and that bit is likely to be busy) last week will be universal/islands of adventure and volcano bay with a couple
Of nights at hard rock hotel for express passes and another visit to Busch on the way home via tampa.
I haven’t even looked at busy days guide. We have been enough that I know to avoid water parks on weekends and bank holidays and if I check before we go and it looks like
I have got it really wrong we can swap stuff over.
We’re staying in a villa and have a car so on days we don’t have parks planned we will have a pool day or do some shopping and if we’re feeling up for it will hit a park later
May 2012 villa in Windsor Hills
August 2015- Windsor Hills again July/August 2020 - we missed out but new countdown is on for July 23!
Funkymoover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
GBScott
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

How are you getting on? Do you have a rough plan yet?
GBScott is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List