Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Mar 20, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

Ben has just been informed that lectures, seminars etc will be going online from the 23rd onwards. It said the uni is open for accommodation, library etc so them saying this would mean that students can stay still but also go home if they want to. I guess I will be driving to Canterbury again next weekend!
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 20, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

If unis close or go distant learning surely some foreign students will be stuck here anyway as their countries may not accept them back
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 20, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
If unis close or go distant learning surely some foreign students will be stuck here anyway as their countries may not accept them back
Georgia has a friend who is French and she isn’t sure if she can get home when they finish on Wednesday. She has got grandparents in the UK so may have to stay with them. She could stay in the uni accommodation but this would be a bit lonely if most students go home, which they probably will
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 20, 06:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Minicooper
Imagineer

Mobile

I can't see that they can not pay the maintenance loans, as the students who are in private rentals will still have rent to pay.
Old 16 Mar 20, 06:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
I think most countries will take them back if they are citizens of that country - but it may not be so easy to actually get there (no flights). Many are also imposing a 7/14 day self quarantine period too.

We may be in this situation for DS when he finishes in June.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 20, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
I think most countries will take them back if they are citizens of that country - but it may not be so easy to actually get there (no flights). Many are also imposing a 7/14 day self quarantine period too.

We may be in this situation for DS when he finishes in June.
I did wonder about France because of your DS and Georgia’s friend (she’s French). I think getting the flights into the country is the main problem, as you mentioned. Fingers crossed we are starting to get back to a little normality by June for your DS to return Mel xx
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 20, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
CRUELLA
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by CRUELLA View Post
Feeling increasingly anxious now! Ds is due back at uni today(home right now) he has a lecture tomorrow.ntu has not announced any closures but uni of Nottingham have said from Friday everything will be done online.
My son has Gilbert’s syndrome I don’t actually know if this means a disadvantage for him against Coronavirus or not but he can get run down and tired easily especially when stressed.
Right now I’m thinking he should stay at home miss the lecture tomorrow he can watch this online.i want to see what further information or announcement we may get from the government tomorrow?
Also the uni may also announce a closure possibly as I see many others are.we could then go collect his things and he can work from home (art student)
It’s so hard to know what to do for the best! It’s such a fast changing situation I do feel because of the governments approach which is so different to the rest of the world.that Its down to us to make the decision of what’s best for my family with the information I have.
Well I kept all my boys at home today just to have a breather and asses what comes next .im really not sure if I will send the younger two to school and college tomorrow yet! I don’t want them to miss their schooling I really don’t .it’s a hard decision I wish we officially had the option.i am able to have mine at home I totally understand that many parents aren’t and there are indeed children that would be better taken care of in school.
I’m really hoping my eldests uni closes ! There seems to be a lot of unis closing now .
CRUELLA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 20, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by CRUELLA View Post
Well I kept all my boys at home today just to have a breather and asses what comes next .im really not sure if I will send the younger two to school and college tomorrow yet! I don’t want them to miss their schooling I really don’t .it’s a hard decision I wish we officially had the option.i am able to have mine at home I totally understand that many parents aren’t and there are indeed children that would be better taken care of in school.
I’m really hoping my eldests uni closes ! There seems to be a lot of unis closing now .
I agree that there should be a public announcement now as it’s all so uncertain. Georgia is now finishing tomorrow, not Wednesday, as her lecturer is self isolating due to a family member being ill.

She has heard that lectures are available online this week and that is probably how it will continue after Easter with an online exam at the end of the course. We are picking her up tomorrow but can’t bring all her things just in case they return after Easter, so we will have to make another trip at some point to get her things before June. It’s just such a sad end to their first year but the health implications of them staying there means the closures are necessary I feel
Old 16 Mar 20, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Mobile

I am hoping that there will be an announcement today and that a decision will be made for us all.

My daughter is at Lincoln and they have just been told that all learning will be online from tomorrow.

The university is not closing at this stage.
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 20, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
I did wonder about France because of your DS and Georgia’s friend (she’s French). I think getting the flights into the country is the main problem, as you mentioned. Fingers crossed we are starting to get back to a little normality by June for your DS to return Mel xx
I hope so. Though as we are looking at 6 weeks lockdown as of Wednesday here in France it it s going to be fun (not)

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List