Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Mar 19, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Stray cat

Last Saturday my husband found a cat trying to enter our garage which has a cat flap. He was a friendly cat and I gave him some biscuits which ate with gusto. He then had two packets of wet food and stole my husbands crumpet out of his hand. He was clearly very hungry. We allowed him into the house and for the first 5 days he wouldn't go out. We advertised for his owner on Facebook and asked neighbours if he belonged to them some of which said they had been feeding him. One lady said she had spoken to a couple if cat charities about him. I have put him on a missing and found pet site and left a message with the RSPCA. He is a fully intact male not microchipped (I took him to the vets). He has previously had a collar as his fur is very short around his neck. He has been outside today and yesterday and returned to us. I don't think he has a home locally but not sure how long I should wait to see if anyone comes forward. I am willing to keep him and my cats seem to get along with him. If I am to keep him I would like to get him neutered my question is how long do you think I should wait before I can do this? I don't want to be in trouble if his owner does come forward.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 19, 12:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

That’s a tough one to answer.I think you have done all you can in terms of finding the owner and as such if you are happy to look after him then continue to do so {lovely thing to do by the way ).i phoned the RSPCA once about a cat trapped in a wheelie bin behind my pharmacy.They came on and said there’s not a lot we can do ‘as he is feral “ at which my co worker said How do you know his name is feral 😳😳😳
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 19, 02:50 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Vinniecat View Post
Last Saturday my husband found a cat trying to enter our garage which has a cat flap. He was a friendly cat and I gave him some biscuits which ate with gusto. He then had two packets of wet food and stole my husbands crumpet out of his hand. He was clearly very hungry. We allowed him into the house and for the first 5 days he wouldn't go out. We advertised for his owner on Facebook and asked neighbours if he belonged to them some of which said they had been feeding him. One lady said she had spoken to a couple if cat charities about him. I have put him on a missing and found pet site and left a message with the RSPCA. He is a fully intact male not microchipped (I took him to the vets). He has previously had a collar as his fur is very short around his neck. He has been outside today and yesterday and returned to us. I don't think he has a home locally but not sure how long I should wait to see if anyone comes forward. I am willing to keep him and my cats seem to get along with him. If I am to keep him I would like to get him neutered my question is how long do you think I should wait before I can do this? I don't want to be in trouble if his owner does come forward.
I'd ask someone like Cats Protection for advice , but I'd probably wait a month or two before doing the deed personally.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 19, 03:10 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Vinniecat - if nobody claims this lad he'll have a good life with you, thank you for taking him in
Old 8 Mar 19, 07:01 AM  
Link to this Post
chris123armit
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Would the RSPCA ‘take him’ then re-home him to you?... we had a beautiful boy come to us over 20 years ago now (sadly no longer with us but lived with us for 14 happy years) in when we lived in London... we kept him (re-homes) but they provided paperwork & had him neutered (obv after trying to find the owner -like u have) for a donation from us... obv don’t know how they do things now a days!
I always believed ‘Jake’ chose us... sounds like he’s chosen you. Enjoy him!
Old 8 Mar 19, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
rasmus
Imagineer

rasmus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
How about putting a collar on him, can you still get the sort with the little barrel so you can write your contact details on?

If it then turned up at his "owners" they might then contact you to say he's theirs or even take it off?

Well done for looking after him xx
January 2019-Cabana bay/Homewood suites
rasmus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 19, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

I would totally do the above, put a collar on him with a note. You can buy write on collars or ones which you can pop a note in a capsule.

Cats are funny things, I had a cat for 18 years, two of which someone on another street thought he was their cat for 2 years as cats go wherever there is food so he got double dinners and got very fat lol. He was know for visiting certain houses and sleeping inside.

With the one you have being intact I opt either stray or an elderly persons cat They can roam for miles when left in tact.

We have one here at the moment that's been around for about a year and none of the neighbours seem to own him/her so I am thinking she is from the farm.
Old 8 Mar 19, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

1 of my cats adopted me. He wasnt chipped, no collar. Not reported missing so he stayed but was free to go in and out but he has been mine for 3 years now.
Old 8 Mar 19, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Well basically the RSPCA said that they don't do anything and to advertise him on pets located.com which I have done (really annoying website by the way). I have also advertised him on animal search.co.uk he has been on there for about 3 days now. The problem with putting a collar on him is he doesn't go very far and we have already asked all the locals. I will give it a try though. I have got him a worming tablet from the vets. They said hold off flea treatment at the moment incase he has already been treated she was concerned about overdosing him. He looks bigger than he is on the photo.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 19, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

He looks really at home with you. You are a nice person for caring.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List