Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 31 Oct 19, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
hscx3boys
VIP Dibber

Booking ADR and Tipping

In 2020 I am going on holiday with my oldest friend and our teenage children. My friend and her family have never stayed on property before, so we have booked 7 nights with free dining and then 7 nights on my DVC points.

Sorry if this sounds tight but the one thing that annoys me most in Disney is the tipping. For the life of me I will never understand why tipping is based on how much your bill is! Is it harder to carry an expensive plate of food than a plate with a cheaper meal on it? On the dining plan the buffet’s are usually most expensive, therefore the tip is higher and it’s a buffet, I go and get my own food.

Thank goodness I don’t drink alcohol and eat plant based so my meals are not expensive.

So as there will be either 6 or 7 of us this next holiday I plan to book two tables at a similar time to avoid being slapped with the 18% or 20% (whatever it is now) tip for tables of 6 or more. Has anyone done this. Also what happens with DVC discounts when we are not on dining plan, can I pay for both tables on my magic band and use my DVC discount?

The one occasion in the past we were a table of 6, the service was appalling another server (who was British) had to get cutlery for my children, we couldn’t even get the bill from our server we had to go looking for her. We don’t expect much from a server, we like to be left in peace, but not even bringing cutlery?
hscx3boys is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 12:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

It's the way the US restaurant industry has operated for many years. You can split tables but you can't get DVC discount on both as the second table will then not be part of your party.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 04:21 AM  
Link to this Post

You cannot expect to split the tables in order to avoid mandatory service charges but yet apply a discount to both tables!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 04:56 AM  
Link to this Post
jocesk
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I don’t like the tipping culture either but if you are booking to go to the US/ Disney you know and accept tipping as a charge that you will have to pay. If you don’t want to pay it then really holiday elsewhere.
I just factor it in to the cost of the holiday and also would remind people that free dining isn’t really free. Tips in Disney can cost same as a meal offsite
jocesk is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 06:07 AM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jocesk View Post
I don’t like the tipping culture either but if you are booking to go to the US/ Disney you know and accept tipping as a charge that you will have to pay. If you don’t want to pay it then really holiday elsewhere.
I just factor it in to the cost of the holiday and also would remind people that free dining isn’t really free. Tips in Disney can cost same as a meal offsite
... I dont think Disney would like your advising their customers to go elsewhere if they choose not to tip the max amount!...
macdonald is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 06:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
The tip is automatically added but it is not compulsory. If you genuinely think you have received bad service you can ask for it to be removed or reduced. However, if you haven’t received bad service, then to be honest I would say just include it in your budget. It’s the culture and it isn’t going to change just for the Brits.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

I would just try and settle with it, it is how it works out there.

I know it is a lot of money we racked up 1200 pounds of tips in 2 weeks for 7 of us ( that was 6 signature restaurants included), but to split your tables etc.. would surely be stressful, you could end up waiting ages for each other if the 2 tables are not served at exactly time. For us the nice sit down meals are part of the holiday, and what are you are actually saving ?

We were a party of 7 and we had it automatically added, but you are still expected to tip even if in a smaller group, I think even if not 18% the next tip down is 15% so really for 3% you are going to cause yourself so much worry.
Your friends will be paying half of it so it wont be that bad. I think if it really bothering you why don't you switch down to the quick service dining? then you wont have to pay a tip at 99 percent of restaurants.

Try not to let it ruin your holiday it is what it is to a certain extent, at least you have Free Dining, you will have a fabulous time x

Edited at 08:49 AM.
Jaspercat10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
jocesk
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by macdonald View Post
... I dont think Disney would like your advising their customers to go elsewhere if they choose not to tip the max amount!...
I think you have misunderstood. She is trying to get out of paying the mandatory service charge for groups of 6 or more which is 20%. There is no maximum amount for tipping.
jocesk is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

This possible solution should have occurred to me last night but I would maybe use my DVC membership card to buy Tables In Wonderland membership - you can all sit together and get free tips ( 20% discount and then 18% tip added back on).

You could use it for any extras at TS's not covered under your DDP in week one and for the full bills in week two.

Cost of TIW currently is $150 but you would still need to tip on the dining plan meals. Crunch the numbers before buying but it could help especially week two.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jocesk View Post
I think you have misunderstood. She is trying to get out of paying the mandatory service charge for groups of 6 or more which is 20%. There is no maximum amount for tipping.
... The OP never said she didn't what to leave a tip at all,she said she didnt want to pay 20% and yes they will automatically add it for a party of 6 (which could be 4 children & 2 adults)but that is her choice to pay
macdonald is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List