Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Mar 21, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
grumpybri
VIP Dibber

Live in Washington Tyne & Wear and have booked my next holiday to fly from Newcastle. Was the same price as flying from Manchester so a no brainier. If I went from Manchester would be at least £250 in hotels parking and diesel.
Old 9 Mar 21, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
stevo25
Very Serious Dibber

Usually Manchester, we live in Leeds. But I would choose any of the nearby airports and go indirect, but my partner, she just wants to get there
stevo25 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 21, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
LizzyBear
Imagineer

LizzyBear's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I prefer Manchester for convenience (we are in Merseyside) and need a pretty good saving to convince me to drive to London or fly indirect, £250 minimum. I think the demand will be high for next year though so I have a feeling Manchester will be out of our price range!
Old 9 Mar 21, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Hecky78
Excited about Disney

We live closest to Manchester but in the past have flown from both Glasgow and Heathrow if we have found a good price. Glasgow we found to be really easy and quick to navigate and would definitely fly from there again.
Hecky78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 21, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mikeandrach View Post
Whenever anyone asks where we live we always say just outside york, we’re in wilberfoss just to the east

Also used to live in market weighton, seen someone on here mention they live there

We’ll fly from anywhere, recent flights have been Edinburgh and Heathrow, also used Gatwick as well as Manchester

We’re a small island relatively speaking, there is nowhere that’s that far too drive that would put me off driving to the airport with the best flight prices/times
You're spitting distance from me. I'm in Stamford Bridge
unixgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 21, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Any excuse to post this classic but thinking you could give Yorkshire airlines a try 😂😂😂😂😂
google/url?sa=t&rc...1qZVjkgV3wxP0I
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 21, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
amarooney
VIP Dibber

amarooney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Newcastle for most flights, Orlando sometimes from Manchester although BA now seem to be flying to Orlando from Heathrow. Previously you would have to fly Newcastle- Heathrow then go to Gatwick, maybe the end of that horrible drive back from Manchester.
amarooney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 21, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Mikeandrach
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by unixgirl View Post
You're spitting distance from me. I'm in Stamford Bridge
Ah really not far then, I’ve just driven through Stamford bridge.
Mikeandrach is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 21, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Nannad
Apprentice Imagineer

We live in north wales not far from Chester, we always use Manchester, and the odd occasion John Lennon Liverpool 😀
Nannad is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 21, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
meanwoodwhite
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by asmidir View Post
We're in Leeds and have done some pretty extreme routes to try and get the cheapest prices.. not everyone's cup of tea but there were good savings to be made.
We were saving so much compared to direct flights that is was paying for the entire stays accommodation or parks tickets - so seemed worth the 1 day journey's hassle.

LHR - DTW - MCO out
MCO - ATL - LHR - back £1100 - £275 each!
- never again 4 hours plus drive back from Heathrow nearly killed me - we actually stopped in services about an hour in to the trip and fell asleep (as a family of 4) in the car - don't do it!

MAN - BRU - ORD - MCO - out
MCO - YYZ - MAN - back £1228 - £307 each
The 2 stops on the way out was tiring - total journey time was horrendous with a 3 hour delay at Chicago
The return was much better via Canada

LBA - AMS - BOS - MCO - out
MCO - MSP - AMS - LBA - back £1550 - £387.5 each - struggled to find anything better
No delays on this route, but again 2 changes makes the overall journey time quite long
We chose this as we could go locally from Leeds with no overnight required.

MAN - FRA - MCO - out
MCO - IAD - BRU - MAN - back £1277 - £319.25 each
This was the best route so far on the way out - connection were short so journey time was pretty good
Return with 2 stops was quite tiring

It was at this point I decide 1 stop is enough - so looked for an option at a similar price

Best we found for 2019 was

LBA - DUB - stay in hotel overnight
DUB - CLT - MCO - out (short connections and immigration already done in Dublin)
MCO - CLT - DUB - LBA - back - but long connection on way back so got a day room
£1276 £319 each

Finally decided that was still too much travelling, but didn't want to 2 to 3 times more for direct, so booked the amazing Thomas Cook flights for Aug 2020 direct from Manchester

MAN - MCO
MCO - MAN

£1559.90 £389.98 - amazing price for direct and even a tight Yorkshireman like myself thought it was great value
So great, of course, that they went bust...

So after going through the same pain we've all been in for 2020 I snapped up the direct Virgin flights from MAN which popped up in October

MAN - MCO
MCO - MAN

£1829 £457.25

The most we've ever paid, but I was so happy to get direct flights again - in fact if I hadn't messed around at the point of booking they would have been closer to £400 pp

Of course - not sure if we're going to enjoy these, but who knows...

Like a lot of others have said it's always a toss up between price and easiest quickest journey. I used to think that price was absolute king and I was throwing it away for direct flights, but the lure of such an easy relatively short journey is starting to outweigh the increased price.

There again I don't think I'd ever pay £700+pp for an economy direct flight.

Maybe I just need more money...
My goodness are you are crazy haha.

When months did you travel? because those prices don't even seem cheap. I've flown direct with Norwegian for £280 per adult in Nov 2019(no hold baggage)
meanwoodwhite is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List