Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Apr 21, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
We all favour different makes but I always recommend Hormann.

German made so the engineering is very good. They come in a whole range of styles, sizes and colours.

If you wish they can also be electrically operated like most of the other brands albeit that adds to the cost.

Edit. If they don't do what you like try Garador. Another good make.
I looked at several when doing our work. Went with Hormann as nothing else I saw came anywhere near in quality.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 21, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
BelleWannabe
Serious Dibber

If you are in South Lincolnshire we used Lincs Garage Door services based in Bourne. They are a husband and wife team that were extremely knowledgeable and able to discuss different options and sell different makes. They were also really helpful when our roller door motor failed and got it replaced quickly under guarantee.
05 Tokyo Disney trip 06/10 Hong Kong Disneyland Trips 08/09/11/12(x2)/13/14/15/16 DCL
13 months... 11 parks... 5 Locations... 1 DREAM
BelleWannabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 21, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by BelleWannabe View Post
If you are in South Lincolnshire we used Lincs Garage Door services based in Bourne. They are a husband and wife team that were extremely knowledgeable and able to discuss different options and sell different makes. They were also really helpful when our roller door motor failed and got it replaced quickly under guarantee.
That's great thank you we are just down the road from Bourne
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 21, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

We have 2 x single and 1 x double insulated electric roller doors. My husband can’t remember the make/brand though. Typical!

All I know is they are white and they were expensive. Once purchased though, they do the job and haven’t needed replacing, they still look new. (10 years so far for the single and 5 years for the double).
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 21, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Mortimer Mouse
Imagineer

Mortimer Mouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Not a roller, but just to give you an idea of prices - We had a new Hormann up and over white garage door replaced last year, which cost 850 incl fitting. They said you'd have to pay extra for colour.
At the same time, our neighbour replaced their door with side hinged doors, which I'd never considered before. But now actually wish that we'd gone with them too as they're much more useful if the garage is not used to park a car in.
We have a freezer and tumble drier in ours, so are in and out all day. Plus my Dh uses it as a home gym, so it would be nice to only have to open one half of the doors, to have a little privacy.
Mortimer Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 21, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
sunjue100
VIP Dibber

sunjue100's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We had an electric roller door fitted a couple of years ago and paid £1100 inc vat - we live in the north east.
Old 17 Apr 21, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Mortimer Mouse View Post
Not a roller, but just to give you an idea of prices - We had a new Hormann up and over white garage door replaced last year, which cost 850 incl fitting. They said you'd have to pay extra for colour.
At the same time, our neighbour replaced their door with side hinged doors, which I'd never considered before. But now actually wish that we'd gone with them too as they're much more useful if the garage is not used to park a car in.
We have a freezer and tumble drier in ours, so are in and out all day. Plus my Dh uses it as a home gym, so it would be nice to only have to open one half of the doors, to have a little privacy.
Very valid point. The house opposite me has opening doors as like us they cannot get the car in anyhow.

They look really good and they have the 'drop down' rubber feet that holds them open in the wind.

Well worth considering. In hindsight I should have gone for them as well.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 21, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

Side opening doors sound good as we don't use our garage for putting the car in either and like the idea of some privacy by only opening half. However, given our disabilities simply pushing a button to open when we need to would probably suit us best. We have an internal door to the garage as well as a back door in addition to the garage door.
So many helpful points have been raised I wouldn't even have thought about without the Dibb.
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 21, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I thought you would want electric

Bear in mind you don't have to go for a roller type. You can still have the traditional 'up and over' with an electric motor as well so that broadens your choice.

I would be looking to haggle on the motor warranty. Try for 5 years. Now the Company may go bust but they may not. Nothing ventured etc.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List