Notices
Offers, Discounts, Codes, Cashback and UK Shopping Money Saving tips, UK shopping topics , discount links and offers.

Old 17 Apr 21, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Johnnyp
Imagineer

Johnnyp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Originally Posted by ncmurray View Post
Personally, I prefer the self-service checkouts on the whole. Unless its in Asda, where you can't breathe without the self serve god shouting out that something is not recognised, or put it in the basket, or call for an assistant... drives me crackers!

I love the Sainsburys app, where you scan using your phone and pack as you go, then just scan the qr code... love it!
My milk has curdled waiting for them self service tills as Asda to process my items🙄
Johnnyp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 21, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LLamb View Post
Decathlon have all self service tills apart from one.
They are very easy though as no scanning required, you just put your item in a box at the till and with, obviously what can only be magic it comes up on a screen with the item you are purchasing.
Same with Uniqlo; I’ve dumped 4 items in the till box all in a jumble together and almost instantaneously the screen showed each item and total price.
They don’t put physical security tags on their clothes but the clothes must be imprinted with a security measure.
If you pay at a manned till, they have to swipe it across something on their desk to deactivate it; a few times, the cashier obviously hasn’t been forceful enough and the sensor has gone off when we’ve left the store.
However, must be something in the self service till boxes that deactivates it when you pay; never had an issue.
Love these tills; they’re like magic.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 21, 12:33 AM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

I don’t mind the idea of self scan tills in supermarkets for say 5 items or less, I can’t help but think about how many people will lose their job if stores go fully self scan.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 21, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I hate the self service tills with a passion, well actually i think they hate me as they never work😡

I don’t mind the self scan thing at Sainsbury’s, that’s handy as you can put the shopping in the bag as you walk round and have a speedy exit.
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 21, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I talk to the self scan tills.

Unidentified item - your problem not mine!

Age verification needed - do I look 12?

Cannot detect item in weighing area - do I look like I care?

Please wait for a Colleague to help you - God that's another hour out of my day!

And the list goes on.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 21, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by stecee View Post
I can’t help but think about how many people will lose their job if stores go fully self scan.
Next to none. Retailers worked out a long while ago that redeploying staff to actually help customer purchase or keep the shelves full is a much better use of resource than having someone sat doing a repetitive task that is not adding value to most customers shopping experience.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 21, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
taffs travels
VIP Dibber

I don't mind self serve at the supermarket but hated it Matalan yesterday. I got into a tizz, trying to take the security tag off, hold my purse take the hangars off scan the items then pack them. I ended up dropping my purse and all my coins rolled out. Then I couldn't see where to scan my Matalan card , I looked around for help and a lady eventually came over, took my card off me and scanned it through the top of the monitor ,sighed ,and left without a word. So not a contactless process any way.
One of my items was a small but on a large hangar so I have to take it back today... not looking forward to it at all !
taffs travels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 21, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Shifu
VIP Dibber

Shifu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
That’ll be me never going to Matalan again then.
I have to return a few items this week that I ordered inline- I’ll check out the situation in ours. Thanks for the heads up.
Shifu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 21, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
Oh yes we went to Decathlon today too & noticed the tills, I just thought this was unusual for a stand alone clothes store
I’m with you on Aldi, the times I’ve just popped in for milk & bananas and have to queue forever
The newer Aldi stores have self service tills and they have fitted them in the older stores that have been updated . Information supplied by DS who has helped out at other stores recently other than his own store
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 21, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
Originally Posted by taffs travels View Post
I don't mind self serve at the supermarket but hated it Matalan yesterday. I got into a tizz, trying to take the security tag off, hold my purse take the hangars off scan the items then pack them. I ended up dropping my purse and all my coins rolled out. Then I couldn't see where to scan my Matalan card , I looked around for help and a lady eventually came over, took my card off me and scanned it through the top of the monitor ,sighed ,and left without a word. So not a contactless process any way.
One of my items was a small but on a large hangar so I have to take it back today... not looking forward to it at all !
Sounds as if the staff have taken a customer-less attitude as well , plan rude
Hope it goes ok for your return 🤞🏻
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List