Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 19 Apr 21, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Rach86
Very Serious Dibber

Insurance

Hi. If i was to get a car with virgin flydrive and pick it up, is there somewhere else i can get insurance? I have a car booked already for £950 ( free cancellation etc) . Its £550 on the flydrive, obviously virgins insurance is expensive. Is that a possibility?
Old 19 Apr 21, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rach86 View Post
Hi. If i was to get a car with virgin flydrive and pick it up, is there somewhere else i can get insurance? I have a car booked already for £950 ( free cancellation etc) . Its £550 on the flydrive, obviously virgins insurance is expensive. Is that a possibility?
Virgin usually includes insurance?

If not yes there are various companies that sell the insurance alone. Carehireexcess is one I have used. Make sure you get one that covers USA and SLI or similar (more pricey).

Another alternative if you want airport lounge access for up to 4 (with supplementary card holder), 30,000 points and travel insurance, as well as full car hire cover is an Amex Platinum but that’s £575 a year. But if you were to spend £100 on car hire insurance, £150 on insurance, cash the points in (if you spend enough on the card first year) that covers all your card cost and you get lounge excess effectively free- albeit only useful if you would go in lounges. All sorts of other perks too such as hotel gold memberships etc.
Old 19 Apr 21, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Grandee
VIP Dibber

Guess we're talking about a booking with Virgin Holidays, Rach? Have a look on the Virgin Atlantic website - I upgraded to their Gold insurance for for a RAV 4 type vehicle for less than £100.
Grandee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 21, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Rach86
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Grandee View Post
Guess we're talking about a booking with Virgin Holidays, Rach? Have a look on the Virgin Atlantic website - I upgraded to their Gold insurance for for a RAV 4 type vehicle for less than £100.

Yes a flydrive through virgin holidays. The holiday is august 2022, can i get a flydrive through atlantic then? X
Old 19 Apr 21, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Rach86
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Grandee View Post
Me again. I just looked and my flights ( 2 adults and 3 kids ) and a 7 seater with gold ins is £ 4888. This is london to miami august 2022 for 23 nights. This is good isnt it? Or am i being really thick?
Old 19 Apr 21, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Rachel. There are a number of options open to you
Book a VH fly drive and pay their ridiculous insurance costs
Book a VH fly drive and don’t pay the insurance and don’t pick the car up at all
Book a VA flight plus car that comes fully insured and is cheaper than VH for some weird reason
Book a stand alone hire through VA or any 3rd party broker
Book a VA flight and then deal with the car independently which is a bit like the previous option I posted.

VH flydrives 99% of the time sad to say are a total rip off.

Have you looked at BA? Too early yet but they have awesome deals with flights then add on a car. Deposit only as well.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Rach86
Very Serious Dibber

I normally book BA as much cheaper, im just incredibly impatient at the moment, thinking im not gonna get a flight because its going to be sold out or something. Also it said the seats were free to book so i thought that was good. I know i should wait, just wanted something booked x
Old 22 Apr 21, 07:04 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
I’ve booked a Flydrive with VH using my flying club discount and some points. I’ve booked with the cheapest car and their basic car insurance. I’m not going to collect the car and I’m getting it somewhere else. I’m probably going to use Avios points and book through BA Executive. I was impatient to book as was concerned about availability for next year. The way I’m doing it has lowered my price quite a bit but will probably still end up the same as BA Flydrive so I probably could have waited but we prefer flying with Virgin.

Edited at 09:26 AM.
gjdjud is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List