Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Apr 21, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Banks questioning where you got cash from?

I went to pay some cash into my sons account and I didn’t have his debit card, I had his account number and sort code. They said they couldn’t do it without his debit card so I explained he uses it on the bus for work. They then said they’d do it as a one off but then questioned were I got the money from, I told the cashier to mind her own business! They asked me how old he was and I said 25, in the end I told her I saved it, she looked at me like I had two heads Actually £1,100 was my daughters that she wants him to keep for her from her 18th birthday and she said she’d spend it if it’s in her account and the rest was money he’s borrowing from me that I’ve saved. They wanted me to put it into my account to then transfer it into his which I said no to. Can you not pay cash in anymore? We have loads of pound coins but now I’ve been put off taking them in there. Is this right?
Old 15 Apr 21, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
The only person who can put cash or a cheque in, is the account holder. Its a pain! Money laundering rules.
Old 15 Apr 21, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Sandra. I agree with Money Laundering Regs as there is so much criminality out there.

However it does seem some rules are just downright weird. We wanted to re invest monies that had matured in to another Bond. One would think I was asking to put in £10 million quid!

Of course in years gone by most of us were well known in our local Branch so that was fine. Nowadays you are lucky to find a Branch let alone anybody who knows you.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 21, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

I was going to say they are obsessed by money laundering at the moment.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 21, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

No, you can’t pay cash in for someone else at a bank any longer.
Changed around 18 months ago.

Strange being asked where the money is from. I went with my son yesterday to pay money into my account and he had cash to pay into an account we had opened fire him this week. More than £1k in total but wasn’t asked where it came from 🤔
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 21, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I had this with Nationwide about 2 years ago when I tried to pay grandson’s pocket money into to his account.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 21, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I had a conversation with my bank when i tried to withdraw money for my holiday. I said they didn’t ask me where the money came from when i made the deposits, so they should mind their own business what i spend it on! I’m not likely to be honest if the money was for an illegal use!
Old 15 Apr 21, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

I sold a couple of bikes a few years back , maybe 2 years?, and deposited @1k in the bank in cash

i was asked where the cash had came from

also i travelled to germany with work and my company amex hadnt arrived in time so i took @1500 euro. in the end i didnt use much so tried to change back @1200 euro. it was the spanish inquisition in M&S trying to change it back, the clerk was furiously typing away as i explained where the cash was from... ironically M&S my wife got it for me about 2 weeks earlier

money laundering rules i assumed
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 21, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

I’ve also had this, tried to pay Christmas and bday money in, they would take it for my youngest two but the eldest had turned 18 so I had to pay it into my account then transfer it to his account online once I was at home.
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 21, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I’ve been going to the bank nearly 40 years and I mentioned one of the cashiers names, if I’d had his bank card I could of done it so I’ll go in with his bank card! I told her I saved the money she repeated me saying ‘you saved it’ I said yes in a year of lockdown I saved it! It was only £2,600 and that was split between me and dd so not that much. Oh well law is the law I suppose, nothing is easy anymore