Go Back   theDIBB > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > Trip Planning Florida
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.
Eat and Play Card
Unread 27 May 19, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
aitchieaitchie
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Burgmeister View Post
We all have ESTAs from early last year. Thing is, if I didn't read this blog I wouldn't be aware of any changes so I would find it difficult to believe that CBP would get too upset if they were presented with an ESTA without a middle name IF IT WERE ISSUED PRIOR TO THE CHANGE (I'm not shouting, just emphasising).

What they would do with those issued after the change (whenever that was) I have no idea.
This is what I believe to be true, if it is already issued without middle name before changes came into effect then it is valid.
Unread 27 May 19, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
hyte1
Excited about Disney

hyte1's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Have only just seen the news on this and now not sure what to do. I applied for mine and OHs in Dec last year and my 2 childrens" last month, none of which include our middle names. I didnt hover on the ? so didnt realise!
We fly in July so have time to reapply but then I dont want to tempt fate as we wouldnt have time to go down Visa route. We are flying via Dublin so will be doing immigration there, not that it should make any difference
After a long period without a holiday in Orlando we have booked up again. Decided to be organised and get ESTA's on Saturday which were authorised in less than an hour. And now I read this thread today :-( We all have middle names, and no I did not include them on the ESTA.

I've already decided to re-apply for the ESTA's with our middle names included but the feel the ESTA website is very unclear on this matter.

The "First (Given) Name" field implys just that in a singular fashion. It would be more helpful if it was labelled "First Names" to at least give us a chance to realise they are asking for more than our first name!

It's not surprising that people miss out the help popup as... well we all assume we know what our first name is! Oh well, I'll splash out another 50 to correct the problem

Anyhow, annoying and frustrating but as I've applied for them this weekend I feel we need to re-apply. If I'd applied for them before the change was made I'd probably feel different.
Finally, another trip booked!
Unread 27 May 19, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi SL - ultimately has to be your decision... bro is also travelling in July and decided to travel on ESTA's acquired early 2018, afore clarification of the ruling. Apparently DHS/CBP haven't begun travel doc enforcement and nobody knows if/when they will.

Recently read (can't remember where) the requirement has always been to input names per one's pp, perhaps the DHS/CBP are simply clarifying their rule.
Your terminology is somewhat inaccurate; there has been no 'ruling' as such. The term ruling implies that the matter has been considered by an authority and a decision was made. This, I believe, is not the case here. The online application form has been amended at some point; I believe this has happened as early as June 2018, though others have suggested October 2018. There has been no substantive decision on the matter, other than members of CBP advising members of the public that indeed their ESTA application should (now) include all first names and/or a middle name. What you refer to as an additional clarification has also been included on the online form as early as June 2018.
Lily8 is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 19, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
tomdan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by hyte1 View Post
After a long period without a holiday in Orlando we have booked up again. Decided to be organised and get ESTA's on Saturday which were authorised in less than an hour. And now I read this thread today :-( We all have middle names, and no I did not include them on the ESTA.

I've already decided to re-apply for the ESTA's with our middle names included but the feel the ESTA website is very unclear on this matter.

The "First (Given) Name" field implys just that in a singular fashion. It would be more helpful if it was labelled "First Names" to at least give us a chance to realise they are asking for more than our first name!

It's not surprising that people miss out the help popup as... well we all assume we know what our first name is! Oh well, I'll splash out another 50 to correct the problem

Anyhow, annoying and frustrating but as I've applied for them this weekend I feel we need to re-apply. If I'd applied for them before the change was made I'd probably feel different.
Let us know what you decide to do and if you get any problems along the way as i have read on a different thread that some people couldn't do it, it kept getting rejected
tomdan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our WDW Holiday.
Unread 27 May 19, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lily8 View Post
Your terminology is somewhat inaccurate; there has been no 'ruling' as such. The term ruling implies that the matter has been considered by an authority and a decision was made. This, I believe, is not the case here. The online application form has been amended at some point; I believe this has happened as early as June 2018, though others have suggested October 2018. There has been no substantive decision on the matter, other than members of CBP advising members of the public that indeed their ESTA application should (now) include all first names and/or a middle name. What you refer to as an additional clarification has also been included on the online form as early as June 2018.
I would suggest that the position has clearly been considered and rulings made, be that during the crafting of the Travel promotion act of 2009, passing both houses, and signed into Law by Barack Obama which established the ESTA, or the Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act of 2015 following the Paris attacks.

You're quite clear in suggesting that nobody with authority has considered the matter. That begs the question who you think decided to change it ? Only really leaving a scenario where "Dave" from IT just thought it would be better to get more info, which clearly is not the case.

I am really struggling to see the grounds on which you are being critical of ChrisS as for my money she would appear to be spot on. They are clarifying the rules, making sure everyone knows them before they start to enforce them.
Unread 27 May 19, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Ive kept off this thread for a while but now this has been put on the esta it is quite clear instead of pressing the ? You cant really miss it if Im honest .

If your middle name isnt on your passport then dont enter it , if it is then enter it .
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Yacht club, Bahama Bay , Poly :)
Unread 27 May 19, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

PPM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by Lily8 View Post
Excellent. But does all that matter? ChrisS has been trying to tell everyone to put middle names onto ESTAs to comply with the form. It is now even clearer.
So, to summarise, if you are applying for an ESTA dont forget middle name. Its really that simple.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Weeks RC Flying in Corfu
Unread 27 May 19, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
kipperphill
Trading Disney Pins

Mobile

I completed our ESTAs recently and I would say it isn't clear at all. "First (Given) Name" and saying to add as per passport says to me that you add just your first given name (spelled as per the passport).

All ESTAs authorised but I didn't add middle names. Surely they will process at immigration based on the passport numbers and everything else!
kipperphill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Ocean Florida