Go Back   theDIBB > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > Trip Planning Florida
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.
Unread 11 Jun 19, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Originally Posted by ManCity View Post
But you are not asked for 'first given name'. You are asked for 'First (Given) Name' - which is different - the brackets change the meaning. 'First (Given) Name' means 'First Name, i.e. Given Name'. 'Given' here qualifies 'First' and explains what is meant in this context.

Your name has 2 parts: Given Name and Family Name. All the family automatically has the same Family Name. The Given Name is the part you were given to distinguish you from all the other family members.

So, if your name is 'John Henry Smith', your Given Name is 'John Henry' which distinguishes you from 'John William' etc. Yes, 'John' and 'Henry' on their own are valid names, but your parents didn't want you to be 'John Smith', they wanted you to be 'John Henry'. Of course, in day to day use, names get abbreviated, e.g. to just 'John' (or maybe in some cases to 'Henry' or 'Harry'), but on an official form it should surely be expected that your full name is required, particularly when it is related to your passport, where 'Henry' is not separated from 'John'.

There has been speculation in the past couple of days as to how Michael Gove fills in his ESTA. You might think his 'first name' is 'Michael', but his Given Name is actually 'Michael Andrew'. However, he was adopted and his name at birth was different: Graeme Logan. So his 'first name' was (obviously!) 'Graeme Logan' and his 'first given name' is 'Graeme'! Words can have different meanings to the one you expect, depending on the context, so reading all the instructions carefully is essential.

This is a US form, not a UK one, so needs to be interpreted as such. The US has a different version of English to the UK. They don't put 'petrol' in a car, they put 'gas', even though it is obviously a liquid and not a gas. Always read the pop-up instructions behind every '?'.
That's an interesting theory, but having completed dozens of American forms in the last 10 years (immigration as well as tax), I have yet to come across a form where the requirement to include a middle name (or indeed initial) has been phrased in this way. If anything the ESTA online form is quite un-American :-)
Lily8 is online now Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 19, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

PPM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by Miss_Shell View Post
ESTA does not guarantee entry. I just wanted to clarify that.
Of course, I expected the corrections it happens all the time

I have edited my post to reflect that you aont get turned around at immigration if all that is wrong is an inaccuracy with your middle name.

Edited at 04:16 PM.
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Weeks RC Flying in Corfu
Unread 11 Jun 19, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

PPM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by Lily8 View Post
That's an interesting theory, but having completed dozens of American forms in the last 10 years (immigration as well as tax), I have yet to come across a form where the requirement to include a middle name (or indeed initial) has been phrased in this way. If anything the ESTA online form is quite un-American :-)
But the ESTA application form is phrased that way, so you have now.
Its the way it is we just have to live with it, or email the DHS advising them that their form is very confusing.

Edited at 04:20 PM.
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Weeks RC Flying in Corfu
Unread 11 Jun 19, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Drivinginmoray
I have Ears

Many thanks to everyone for the replies! I've redone my ESTA and got it approved within 10 minutes. 3 things ive learnt today ...1) 10s of thousands will have missed off there middle name(s), 2) it probably will never matter but 3) if you worry like me and can live with losing 11 quid more, re-do your ESTA and, voila, peace of mind. Thank you all again.

Edited at 07:25 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Drivinginmoray is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 19, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Kellea
Imagineer

I did the same yesterday. Ive never done middle names before but was flapping. It was for peace of mind and I feel much better today x

1993, 2008, 2011 OKW villas 17 nights ( thanks to Irene , 2013 3 nights Renaissance Seaworld, 3 nights HRH Club, 16 nights OKW and DxDDP, 2014 5 nights HRH Club, 16 nights OKW. 2015 15 nights Sheraton Vistana Villages. 2016 3 nights Sheraton New York Times Square, 3 nights HRH club level, 16 night AKL SV, 2 nights BLT. 2017 5 nights OKW, 5 nights BWV, 7 nights BLT, 4 nights HRH club. 2019 3 nights Renaissance (SW), 4 nights HRH CL, 7 nights BLT LV, 7 nights AKL SV

KELLEA
Kellea is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Rylands Run Riot in Disney
Unread 11 Jun 19, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Drivinginmoray
I have Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Kellea View Post
I did the same yesterday. Ive never done middle names before but was flapping. It was for peace of mind and I feel much better today x
Small price to pay imo!
Drivinginmoray is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 19, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Very Serious Dibber

Are people still fretting about middle names! - what do you think people do outside this forum whom dont have a clue about this - get sent home? Please stop all this panicking
MarkUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 19, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MarkUK View Post
Are people still fretting about middle names! - what do you think people do outside this forum whom dont have a clue about this - get sent home? Please stop all this panicking
They have a peaceful life not being panicked by this forum. And they het into the USA - shock!
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Florida Tix