Go Back   theDIBB > Other Planning > Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.
Florida Tix
Unread 9 Jul 19, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucyjane45xxx
Imagineer

Perfect, thanks all for the different view points on this. Definitely think we will get rid of the car for the 5 days in San Francisco, but will continue to decide whether to keep it for the Hollywood part.

Is it easy enough to get around without a car? I am guessing Uber isn't the best idea if traffic is crazy?
We are staying at Loews Hollywood, which looks like it is right by the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the Chinese theatre. We have booked to do the WB Studio Tour, we are planning HHN one evening and then we will mainly just want to wander around Melrose ave and go to Griffith Observatory and Hollywood sign
"The Superfan & The Skeptic" - Trip Report Index Here
Lucyjane45xxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
California Road Trip (inc. Disney)
Unread 10 Jul 19, 06:30 AM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Very Serious Dibber

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

My experience of LA is that a car is definitely better. You can get around with public transport but it takes forever and a car would be much easier to see everything you wanted to!
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Honeymoon in Bali
Unread 10 Jul 19, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

You could use Uber, but really depends on what you are wanting to do.

Anaheim, if just disney and you are in a local hotel (many 10 mintes walk to the park entrance) then I wouldn't bother. You can get a coach there from the airport.

Hollywood and North LA I would unless just planning to do Universal, Warner Bros and central Hollywood. Going further afield I would. Plus it helps to get from Anaheim to Hollywood area.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Back to the West Coast
Unread 10 Jul 19, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Very Serious Dibber

You wont be able to walk to Melrose from there. I dont know if theres a bus, you could look into it but Uber/Lyft would work. Weve taken Lyft to concerts at the Hollywood Bowl and to the Getty Museum and it was still reasonably priced despite being popular destinations with quite a bit of traffic. Looking at my Lyft account history Ive never paid more than $17 for a ride in LA. You get get the metro red line to Universal from your hotel. Will also take you downtown and to Griffith observatory if you get the free shuttle from Hollywood/Vine stop.

We did have a car too but used Lyft when parking was more expensive.

If you do chose to drive in LA I will say I found it easy. Yes some traffic at the usual commute times but very quiet after 7pm. We stuck to the surface streets rather than taking freeways and never got delayed. The streets are in a grid system, wide, traffic lights mostly so very few tricky 4 way stops. We blasted The Eagles and the mamas and the papas, accepted we were on holidays and in no rush, chilled out and really enjoyed the drives.

Edited at 12:13 PM.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
POR-Hawaii-San Diego
Unread 10 Jul 19, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi we have always had car for full trips. First of I would say get the basics of your trip planned and then decide after this. For example what are your plans for San Fran ,will you drive to Monterey,yosemite ,nappa, if not then perhaps if it's just the city you don't need it. Of course depends where you are staying, we had free of street parking with our accomodation near fishermans wharf.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Yellowstone and west coast
Holiday to Florida with Florida4less