Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Jul 19, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

we put ceiling fans in bedrooms and kitchen last year and they are worth their weight in gold.
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by catherinesian View Post
We bought one, lasted about a week before we ordered a split fitted unit. Much, much too noisy to ever sleep with.
The split unit cost us about £600 all in, best monies we have ever spent. It's quiet as a mouse, you can just hear the sound of the moving air
I also have the proper split air con units because the portable ones are a waste of time.

£600 is very cheap for a decent make split air con unit supplied and fitted, they would usually be around double that supplied and fitted, but obviously subject to there location and there size.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

We use ours to cool the room before bedtime and then keep a fan going during the night. Even if the a/c noise is bearable to fall asleep to, the thermostat turns the unit off and on all night long waking me up each time.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Thanks for the suggestions, we rent so we can't install proper aircon or a ceiling fan.

Have passed all the comments onto DH and he is still determined to look at some units and 'he will cope with the noise' this from a man who complains about the stand fan.

I agree it is stupid hot at night though, although my suffering could be intensified because I have a bun in the oven!
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We’ve had one for years but it’s very noisy so just donated it to DD and hubby. We’ve had a split system fitted and it’s great, very quiet. Expensive though
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, we rent so we can't install proper aircon or a ceiling fan.

Have passed all the comments onto DH and he is still determined to look at some units and 'he will cope with the noise' this from a man who complains about the stand fan.

I agree it is stupid hot at night though, although my suffering could be intensified because I have a bun in the oven!
We rent so can’t put in proper air con or ceiling fan either, so annoying.
We have a portable air con unit to cool down the flat. It works really well but it is LOUD. That’s in the day/evening too, in the quiet of night it would seem even louder. We put up with it in the day because it works so well but have to use a fan at night.

Let him look at/hear some if he wants, he’ll soon realise it’s a silly idea for night time

It may be the one you have but we use this tower fan at night. It’s the only one I can put up with as the quiet mode is actually quiet. The tower Dyson one isn’t silent and I find the hum of that more annoying than a normal fan! I think the smaller dyson desk fans are quieter though.
amazon/gp/aw/d/B06...b_b_asin_title

I also recommend a frozen cold compress gel pack wrapped in a small towel for under your feet. Keeps cool all night.

Edited at 06:02 PM.
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Jim
Very Serious Dibber

We also have fitted air con units but prior to that we had a Dyson tower fan which cools the air far more than a bog standard tower fan so worth the extra money in my opinion.
Big Jim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I just thought I would give a 'like' to everyone who have contributed to this thread (including me)😀
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

We have a dyson tower fan - it’s amazing!

I’d definitely recommend as it’s quiet and actually cools the air.

We’ve had standard fans and a portable ac unit before and this is so much better.

I bought it from the dyson eBay page so saved quiet a bit as it’s a refurb but you still get a warranty.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Can’t help with the ac unit but I have a dyson heater/fan. It’s brilliant as a heater (which is what I brought it for) but not as good as my £25 desk fan I got from John Lewis.
As for the noise of them, they are pretty equal in noise, and as a light sleeper it takes me about 2 night to adjust to it being one all night and now it’s just back ground noise. You do get used to it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List