Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
US Rent A Car
Unread 18 Aug 19, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

Mr Tom Morrow's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I could certainly do the little job that the late Richard did. Was still there aged 92, wow.
Now that would be nice.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

'Morrow and Morrow. For the people dot com'

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Fourth Trip Of 2019 - Back To SSR
Unread 18 Aug 19, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Retired on my nursing pension at 55yrs.
State pension in Five years. We sold up in the U.K., banked the money, bought here.

We did this because, we knew that retiring in the U.K. was going to be unsustainable for the future and having worked for 35 years plus I had no intention of living in poverty struggling to pay ridiculous prices for food and council taxes. The other motivation was my husbands business partner had planned to retire at 60 to France, worked hard etc. Died aged 48 from a brain tumour. It made us realise life is for living. We could not retire early in the U.K. thats why we are here
Unread 18 Aug 19, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

The plan is to make people keep working, paying tax and national insurance then for you to die on the job so they dont have to pay out any pension. In other words work you till you drop.
Labboy is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Aug 19, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

All of my focus is on planning for my stopping work in 6 years time (at 55). I think that there is a big difference between retirement - drawing a pension - and stopping work.
I know that I wont be able to access my pensions for a long time ( 65 for my company pensions and 67 currently for state pension). So my focus is on amassing enough money to live on in the interim. To that end I have paid off the mortgage, we are doing all of the big house improvements we need (new boiler, new bathrooms, new kitchen, new windows, new fascias etc all in last few years). The rest of my money goes into isas and investments.

We know that we have to plan for at least 10 years without income, and we have worked out how much we need per annum (inc holidays etc) and as soon as we hit the amount that will allow us to live those years - we will stop. (A kind of draw down plan). My main concern is riding out the inevitable economic crash that is coming and capitalising on it as much as possible.

Financial planning is complex, and so personal and it takes a lot of time - but its so important. Balancing between jam today and jam tomorrow is the hardest thing.
Reykjavik, Budapest, Berlin, California, Tennessee, New York, Philadelphia, Las Vegas, Boston, Oregon, Utah, Arizona, Alaska, Toronto, Vancouver, Whistler,Prague, Munich, Berlin, Cologne, Brussels, Amsterdam, Canaries, Rome, Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, Japan, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Korea, Macau,Hong Kong, Myanmar, Helsinki, Athens, Norway

Edited at 12:24 PM.
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
iceland self drive round the island
Unread 18 Aug 19, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

The thing that gets me most - cynically I guess - is that someone somewhere must have worked out that Labour is currently SO unelectable that the ruling powers can push this as "an idea" - hidden slightly by the Brexit woe-are-us-leak of course, then in a few weeks/months they will put out an alteration... "of course we can't have people working to 75, we are working on 72 as the absolute maximum..."

just like last time with 70 being muted and 67 being actual...
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Aug 19, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

The government has probably factored into their calculations that as the the state pension age increases so does the number of people who are physically not able to do their existing job or work at all. Whilst reducing the burden of state pension payments, it will inevitably add to the cost of sickness benefits.
Currently, a new claimant cannot claim disability benefits after state pension age - as people get older, physical and mental impairment rise significantly- therefore raising the state pension age will inevitably lead to a rise in disability claimants. Currently, someone claiming sickness and disability benefits could quite easily have an income greater than a state pension payment. Consequently, it would be interesting to see the global benefit projections that the government has undertaken rather than just focusing on the state pension will not be sustainable rhetoric.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Aug 19, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
The thought of standing for 9 hrs a day cutting hair when Im 70 fills me with horror. Sadly unless anything happens to my in laws before they have to use their money on care home fees, this will be my reality.

Our villa video http://findadisneyvilla.com/videotour.html

License number DWE 6308837
Monitored alarm and safe
Finding Dory bedroom
Fabulous 50's Diner themed games room with pool table, air hockey, fooseball and giant chess.
Gas BBQ
Free National and International calls
Cable TV in all bedrooms
55 inch, 4K smart TV, Free Netflix
2 cots, 2 strollers, 2 high chairs
Please read our 23 absolutely amazing Dibb reviews
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Home where I belong!
Unread 18 Aug 19, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

Will this apply to MPs pensions?
SimonB is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
OKW DDP chompathon and RPR