Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 23 Dec 08, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post

The Three Amigo's Go West. Episode 2.

Friday 25th July.

As with most of us, the first morning after a westwards Transatlantic flight found us waking early, in my case around 6am. The girls slumbered for a little while longer while I, being a bloke, got dressed in 6 milliseconds and decide to take a little walk around the neighbourhood, camcorder in hand.

Between all the other little tasks that fall in to my lap during a trip, I also take it upon myself to be fully armed with the CamCorder and still digital camera, although a bind at times, invaluble in years to come, to look back with fond memories, so throughout this trip, as with most others, I've constantly got some electronic gadget of one type or another hanging around my neck. So, as you do, I took film of the exciting first morning, such excitments as "there is the car sitting outside our room"... and "there's the street with the diner in which I ate a Buffalo last night"...Those sort of things you know.

Remember I mentioned Cheyenne Frontier Days...Well CFD is like an English Carnival weekend, except its 50 times bigger and lasts for over a week. The whole State of Wyoming pours in to it's Capital, Cheyenne, for a daily Rodeo, the largest in the world apparently and all sorts of State wide events, airshows and evening concerts from the greatest of US bands and singers. As a result of CFD, several of the shops were open at 7am so I took a little wander. When challenged with "can I help you Sir" and I said the customary, "No thank you, i'm just looking", the store fell deadly silent... Not because my reply was some sort of deadly secret code but because of my accent. Obviously Brits don't make it out that far West. It was fun though, something I haven't experianced since Sir Richard dropped me in Miami in 1985... although I was accused of being Australian several times on this trip.

Upon my return to the room I was set looking at a sheepish Lucille who confided that her GHD's had just blown up the transformer that I purchased for her on ebay. Again...as a bloke, I then HAD to ask 20 questions along the lines of "what, how, when and huh" before I concluded that the £9.99 Chinese made transformer MAY be a load of doggy poo and that I didn't really care as long as Lucille's life saving GHD's were ok...Fortunately although they wouldn't get hot on 110 volts at least they tried... which suggested that they were ok...just blew up the transformer..A VERY LUCKY ESCAPE FOR ME.

Once the girls were up and running, which needless to say took a while longer than the 6 milliseconds it took me to be ready, we went out for breakfast at a local Diner, meeting some friends who spookily, also lived in Cheyenne. For the first time, I had Steak and Eggs for breakfast and the girls had a whacking great big omelette.

Thereafter, having taken advice over breakfast, we headed "downtown" to the Main Railway Station to see some of the sites. I'm a big fan of the Old West, baring in mind Outlaws, Bandits, Sheriffs and Gun Fights were an everyday occurance little over a 100 years or so ago and the Station and surrounding areas were straight out of that era. Take away the cars and traffic lights and honestly, not much has changed down there. Here are a couple of pictures to demonstrate.

We had also heard that "Cowboys stand tall in the saddle" from which we concluded that one of them had left one of his boots behind but fortunately Tarryn found it. Unfortunately however I was too scared to track him down and give it back !

As we always do, we then took a sighseeing tour of Cheyenne, in the little green/red bus thing shown in one of the above pictures. We have always concluded that despite the cost, you'll see more and understand more during a hour or so's tour than you'll ever see on foot so its always a worthwhile execise.

For me, it was at this time that I honestly felt that the holiday had properly begun. We were on our own, 7000 miles from home, 7 hours behind the UK with no clue as to exactly what we would encounter and if all my planning had been enough or not. And that is something that excites me.

The elderly gentlemen who drove, spoke, quote: "stopped where ever he darn well liked" was fantastic and he covered just about everything in both a factural and humourous way...heck..even Tarryn enjoyed it so we know it must have been interesting for it to be "cool" enough for a 12 year old.

In the afternoon we trogged over to "Frontier Park", the area holding the Fun Fair, Wild West exhibits and tons of stalls selling all manor of drinks, foods and goods and services. Several of the people there were dressed up in 1880's clothes, the men, tipping their hats to the woman with a "howdy mam" all adding to the already fantastic atmoshere. Across the way stood the huge Frontier Park arena which held the Rodeo, a visit to which was made later.

Professional Rodeo is a fantastic day out but it mustn't be underestimated how dangerous the sport can be, Bull Riding especially is known as the most "Dangerous 8 seconds in Sport" and this is bourne out by this huge statue outside the Arena dedicated to a young man called Lane Frost who lost his life at Cheyenne during CFD 1989. Sadly as he hit the ground during a ride, the Bull came down on top of him. The bull turned and hit him in the side with his horn, breaking Frost's ribs and severing a main artery. Lane initially rose to his feet and began running toward the bucking chutes. However, as he was motioning for help, he collapsed. Lane died on the arena floor due to excessive internal bleeding before he could be transported to the hospital.

Here, for me is an erie picture. They also had a huge stationary steam train in the park, along side a picture of the same train running through the scenery of Wyoming during the Wild West years.

Traditionally, because brick was so expensive to transport to Wyoming years ago and in fairness still is, a large amount of the houses were and still are made completely from timber. The result of which is road after road of sweet timber homes, most all individually made to various specifications. Our friends home is no exception and after a quick trip to Safeways and armed with a ton of barbeque edibles we returned to their home for a huge big cook out.

Twas here, as the sun faded, that we sat and spoke about old times slowly putting the world to rights and making plans for the next day, a BIG day in Cheyenne's social calender and one which we were going to be lucky enough to see and experiance.

Edited at 06:35 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 09, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Nice to see some of the real America Sad story about the rodeo rider though
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 09, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List