Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 1 Sep 06, 02:15 AM  
Link to this Post

Where's the Mouse Day 5- Hollywood

Day 5 Wednesday 30th August. A tour of Hollywood.
Cast – Dollar Bill – AKA Bill or Billy, and Jools – AKA Julie

We both woke quite early and after getting ready we were out and driving. The orginal plan was to drive to Long Beach for a swim in the sea, however we decided to head for Hollywood instead. The TomTom was reset and we arrived on Hollywood Boulevard about 45 minutes later.

No sooner had we arrived and were walking along Hollywood Blvd, we were approached by a dude with a very strange haircut. Now how he knew we were tourists I’ll never know, but anyway he was pushing tours of Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive shopping area and a drive round the stars homes in a stretch limo. We agreed to go on the tour and shared the limo with two young Scottish girls. There was loads of room as there were only the 4 of us in the limo. The guide invited questions and the girls had loads for him. He couldn’t understand their Scottish accent, so Bill took on the role of interpreter as Scottish is his native tongue – “och aye so it is Jimmy”. The tour lasted 2hrs and we had a great drive around with our guide pointing out all the famous (and some not so famous) homes in the area. There were lots of houses, however I was quite surprised to see that they were very close together and the streets were quite narrow. There were hints of Paignton in Devon in the layout of the buildings, (also the high parking rates just like the Paignton area) although these houses were in the $2m -$5m price range. There were so many and the ones I remember most were Toby Mcguire, Keanu Reaves and Leonardo Di Caprico’s houses all being next to each other in that order.
We drove over to Beverly Hills and the change in scenery is quite distinctive. Obviously much more money here and the houses are set in their own plots of land, and one large house recently sold for $75m. We saw Ozzy’s house, Simon Cowells house and Phil Collins hedge – so high we couldn’t even see the house.
Next stop was Rodeo Drive shopping area, where we saw the shop that featured Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman (where she said “big mistake”) and the hotel where Richard Gere was staying (now at $7500/night).

We stopped for about 20 minutes on Rodeo Drive to see if we could spot anyone rich and famous. We didn’t see anyone, but the lassies saw Lindsey Lohan’s boyfriend being chased by the paparazzi. We don’t know who Lindsey is but they did. Apparently her boyfriends father owns the Hard Rock cafe in Hollywood.

There was obviously so much money here, even leaving Lamborghini’s lying about in the street.

At the end of the tour we went off in search of a drink as we were both very thirsty. We found Disney’s Fountain on Hollywood boulevard and Bill had an ice cream float and I had a lovely shake thingy. It consisted of banana, chocolate and some sort of nuts – yummy.

The tour guide had told us to go all the way down Sunset Boulevard to get to Santa Monica beach.

The other option would have been on the freeway, but he said the scenery was great going the Sunset Boulevard way. So we set off along Sunset Boulevard and he was dead right. The scenery was stunning. Unfortunately the TomTom was still on and kept telling us to take a left as it was programmed to go the quickest route. I swear the Mrs TomTom was getting most annoyed with us.
We eventually arrived at the end of Sunset Bouevard (the beach) and turned left for Santa Monica. Once there we paid $7 to park up and went on the beach.

The sea was pretty cold and had some big waves so after a slight paddle we just stayed on the sand.

We actually preferred St Pete’s beach for the warm calm sea. After an hour or so, during which time I knew I was begining to burn, we headed back to the car for the drive back to Fullerton. The drive back was very busy. The LA traffic was a bit of a nightmare and put us off going very far that night.

We had a quick dip in the hotel pool and the hot tub before getting ready to go out for dinner. We decided to drive to Anaheim (I have no idea why) and discovered it was not far at all. We didn’t stay though as we were going to be there anyway the following day. One sight that pleased me greatly on the way to Anaheim was our first sighting of Walgreens.
I couldn’t believe we had been in the US for 4 days without seeing let alone visiting Walgreens. We naturally had to go in and Bill bought some blank CD’s so he could download some stuff from the laptop onto CD ready for the long drive back to Vegas on Sunday (the radio reception in the desert was pants). We ate at Dennys – we both had a philly melt. We then went back to our hotel for the night. By this time it was after 10 and I went straight to bed. Bill stayed up and did something technical with the trippie and the blank CD’s. I didn’t hear him come to bed.
Tomorrow we find the Mouse
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 06, 02:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
Fantastic photo's another brilliant day. Sounds like your really enjoying yourselves.
Old 1 Sep 06, 07:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Bob_and_Dawn
Imagineer

Bob_and_Dawn's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
It's great having these reports to read each morning before I go to work.

LOL at Walgreens...it must be a record!

Lovely photos,

thanks

Dawn
Old 1 Sep 06, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post

Wonderful day - brought back memories fo rme and my trip back in the 80's.
Old 1 Sep 06, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
LOL at Bill being the interpreter us jocks do cause problems abroad
great photos
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 06, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by highlander447
LOL at Bill being the interpreter us jocks do cause problems abroad
great photos
LOL, Ah ken whit ye mean, timourous wee beasties,an all that.
Old 1 Sep 06, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Fancy the guy not understanding the lilting Scottish accent - unbelievable Really enjoying your reports.
Old 2 Sep 06, 03:00 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Bob_and_Dawn
It's great having these reports to read each morning before I go to work.

LOL at Walgreens...it must be a record!

Lovely photos,

thanks

Dawn
Just incase we didn't see it again:-

Bill
Old 2 Sep 06, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Bob_and_Dawn
Imagineer

Bob_and_Dawn's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Thanks for the reports

Bob
Old 2 Sep 06, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
dcmax
Imagineer

Hollywood still has that slightly seedy air to it we think? But you just have to go! We always see a film at Mann's Chinese, it's the business. Agree about the traffic, nightmare, we had no sat nav but did ok, just Have you seen our California Vids from our LA trip at xmas? Click the red link below

jackie

Danny and Jackies Christmas 04 Trip Reports

Danny and Jackies Christmas 04 Restaurant Reports

July 91 WDW...July 92 DL CA...July 93 DL CA...Feb 97 DLP...Feb 02 DLP...Xmas 03 DLP...Xmas 04 WDW...Oct 05 WDW...Xmas 05 DL CA...March 06 DLP ...Nov 06 WDW... Xmas 06 DLP... Apr 07 WDW... Nov 07 DL CA ...Dec/Jan 07/08 DLP... Mar 08 WDW.. Jun 08 DLP.. Mar 09 DL HK
dcmax is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List