Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Jul 19, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Portable air conditioning unit

My husband wants to buy a portable air conditioning unit to use in our bedroom. We've both been sleeping really badly the last few weeks and he thinks its because our bedroom is like a furnace in the summer- he's probably right.

Anyone have any advice or tips? Specifically on...

A) He thinks we can spend around £200 and get something decent that works. Is that correct? The last thing I want to do is end up both hot and poor if the thing is junk

B) We have a stand fan but he won't have it on at night because it's too loud and windy. Will an air con unit have the same problems?

C) Are they hideously expensive to run? Would we be better off just forking out for one of those fancy Dyson fans?

Oh and any specific model recommendations in the £200 bracket welcome!

Edited at 03:00 PM.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Spooky
Getting Excited

if you don't like the noise from a fan you won't be able to cope with portable AC
They are VERY noisy

You can use them to bring the room temperature down before you go to bed for a few hours, but the temp will climb again pretty rapidly once it is off.

They are expensive to run, a dyson fan won't really offer much beyond the current fan you have now (may be a bit quieter - hard to qualify).

We do have a portable AC that has the ability to have a hose to run the "cold" end into the bedroom, but it is still fairly noisy, and also very heavy to move around upstairs.
Spooky is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaNuts93
Imagineer

I agree, if a fan is too noisy I think you will struggle with an AC unit.

SEE OUR VILLA AT:www.ospreyhouseorlando.com. Luxury five bed/four bath villa with extra large (40 ft) pool overlooking conservation area. Also includes games room.

License number: DWE 4514584
FloridaNuts93 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Thanks both- that's exactly what I told him, it will be just as noisy or worse than the fan! He seemed to think I was wrong though.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Our friends bought one and it is so noisy they cant use it so check the noise levels before buying. And it will be MUCH noisier in your quiet bedroom than it seems in a shop.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

We bought one, lasted about a week before we ordered a split fitted unit. Much, much too noisy to ever sleep with.
The split unit cost us about £600 all in, best monies we have ever spent. It's quiet as a mouse, you can just hear the sound of the moving air

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

I would reccomend a good ceiling fan. Should be less noisy and more efficient than most fans.
Old 22 Jul 19, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I have a delonghi pinguino which is closer to the £700 mark than your budget. It is quieter than a lot but still makes a discernable fan noise although in central London if I couldn't sleep with a fan then I would have no chance with the people and traffic outside the flat.

Personally within your budget you are not going to get anything quiet or more effective than a fan.

As my flat goes from hot to the same temperature as the surface of the sun in summer I am well acquainted with fans and have a dyson. I actually don't rate it and have a pedestal fan for my bedroom from Costco which is much more effective when the air conditioner is not in use.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickey's Magic
Excited about Disney

Mickey's Magic's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I'm currently sat next to one in the office and can safely say the noise is deafening!

DLP: 1997 (Cheyenne), 2013 (Offsite; Dream Castle), 2017 (Newport Bay), 2019 (Sequoia Lodge)
Mickey's Magic is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
lalabelle
Excited about Disney

I would agree with DonnaD. a good ceiling fan is quiet and efficient. works well for us in our attic room
lalabelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List