Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 Jul 19, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
liz2206
Trying for More Ears

Sunflower lanyards

We have flown before but have never used the lanyards however my two children who have hidden issues, one with unilateral hearing loss and the other with anxiety, will be 14 and 17 when we go next. I am worried about going through security at both Gatwick and MCO can they use the lanyards?

I know lots of people have used them for autism and ADHD but has anyone used them for hearing loss what was your experience?

Do MCO recognise the lanyards?
liz2206 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 19, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Galela1986
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Lgw tend to be really good, never really had any problems. Mco are awful even with the lanyard they normally are rude and unhelpful, we travelled through there five times in the last two years and haven’t really had any good experiences.
Galela1986 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 19, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
liz2206
Trying for More Ears

It is MCO I am worried about as they both look older than they were so security people are not so understanding. My child who has unilateral hearing loss really struggles when it is really noisy so appears to be ignoring you.
liz2206 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 19, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Fab Florida 4
Helping Donald

We found MCO really good. We arrived just after a Virgin flight so it was bedlam, but as we were standing in line an official spotted us and took us to the much shorter US line. Also coming back, when we were having passports stamped to leave, the official took us to another shorter line where we didn't need to remove shoes, etc.
It`s probably like anything, luck of the drawer and who`s there on the day
Also just say 1 of the boys is almost 14 and the other almost 11, but both are tall and look older

Edited at 01:48 PM.
Fab Florida 4 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 19, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Galela1986
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

If you book special assistance with the airline they are good to get you through immigration on arrival, but it’s the return journey back to uk through their security that we had problems with them.
Galela1986 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
TinselAngel
Imagineer

TinselAngel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I read somewhere on here that MCO have special needs ambassadors that you can ask for to help on arrival etc. I think you need to contact MCO directly to arrange it.

POFQ Dec 2006, Mar 2008, Oct 2009, Oct 2014
Dibb Villas : Mar 2009, Aug 2009, Xmas 2009 Dec 2010, Oct 2011, July 2013, July 2014, Xmas 2014, July 2015, Aug 2017, Jan 2018, Oct 18, OKW:Summer 2012, Beach Club:Oct 2015,July 2017. AKL:Oct 2019
TinselAngel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

My DD has type 1 diabetes. We used the lanyard from LGW to MCO with no issues and it was recognised at both ends.
Old 27 Jul 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Mobile

We used this for my husband ( only returned yesterday) we used EDI- Gatwick- tampa, the opposite returning.
Edinburgh were great, unfortunately Gatwick were horrific and our experience was not great. It really put a dampened on the start and end of our holiday. It was also not recognised at tampa, but the airport was much quieter so not so much an issue there.
Old 27 Jul 19, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
weeleighluigi
Imagineer

We have good experiences and crap at MCO. My brother has a brass neck and pointed out my daughter's when she was uncomfortable and it was adhered to ( special assistance was booked) I think as someone else said.
It depends who you get. But honestly, just say if you need to. MCO was busy on our way home .
weeleighluigi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

we're due to fly next week. our party includes 2 pax with hidden disabilities (1A and 1C)

I tweeted MCO tonight, to inquire

here is what they tweeted back

Thanks for reaching out to us. May we suggest, if the passengers cannot stand for a long period of time for you to please request wheelchair assistance with the airline (contact your airline directly), so they can provide wheelchairs for their use while at the airport, in order to provide more comfort to them while they are passing through our facilities. Our Airport Ambassadors are still available at our customs and immigration hall to assist upon request. Upon your arrival please approach one of our Airport Ambassadors (they wear black slacks or skirts, white shirts and gold vests) advise them of your concerns and they will do their best to lead your family to expedite your processing in that area. Let us know if you have any further questions.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List