Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 26 May 20, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Slore
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
Can I ask for those who don’t want to drive what their concerns are?
We drive a lot as part of normal daily commutes so it’s nice to take a break from it when we go away. We’ve both never driven out of the UK either.
Slore is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I’ve looked offsite for budget trips before and end up going back to pricing up value resorts. I just think when you take into account the perks and the convenience it’s worth it.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneybear
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

The parking fees are a main drawback for us, they mount up for a 14 night stay. Plus driving is one of the few instances that lead to rows between hubby and I - so we are the same and would rather avoid!
Our next stay is currently on site at AoA for on-site transport and the magic express from mco. If we have to move our holiday to next year, we are struggling to justify the increase prices of on-site in 2021, so will
likely move off-site. In which case I think we will go with a mixture of shuttles/lynx/itrolley/lfyt - we are two adults though so not needing to herd children!
Disneybear is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 06:42 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
Can I ask for those who don’t want to drive what their concerns are?
The why doesn’t really matter, whether it’s health , a break from time behind the wheel , cost (hire Plus daily parking charges), disinclination to trudge to the outer reaches of parking lots, environmental etc , there are lots of excellent reasons .
Often Lyft/Uber works out cheaper than cost of hire plus parking depending on what your plans are and where you are staying and the “you can’t do it without a hire car “ mantra simply isn’t true for many anymore.
We don’t bother now for just Orlando and pick a hire car up on the last or penultimate day before we head off to elsewhere in Florida .

With social distancing a concern now, though, that may change things for some people .(it won’t for us)
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 06:46 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Personally without a car I would not like to stay off site. So much wasted time it’s a false economy in my view. The exception is maybe if I was prepared to be using Uber all the time, which is maybe a good option nowadays. But still waiting around etc (I am a regular Uber user).

Edited at 06:48 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I think you could make it work.

I’m looking at 3 bed condos for next year and they are coming in at £80/night. I can’t get one room at the All Stars for that.

I can find some on the 192 that are incredibly close to WDW and while we will have a car for some or all of the time the Uber costs will be very low (lower than car rental and parking costs looking at others experience.)

With two grown up daughters and one of them bringing her boyfriend I’m prepared to compromise on location (we always always stay onsite) so everyone has their own bedroom, and we can walk to a range of restaurants that are considerably cheaper than onsite, too.

So I think your plan could work, depending on your family make up
Old 29 May 20, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

This is my 12th or 13th trip to Florida and we have stayed both onsite and offsite and never drive.
2 things:
This place is so huge, its very easy to under estimate distances, so if it looks like a hop , skip and a jump down the road on a map-it usually isnt and there could be miles involved!

The amount of walking you do is phenomenal and you do tire out easily, especially in the summer months.

IF at all possible, I'd recommend staying on site.Yes it is convenient, those air conditioned buses are a godsend in what seems like an outside sauna. ALso you can leave early for the parks and be back at lunchtime to soak in the pool/rest whatever and get ready to go back out at night refreshed. You 'll find that difficult if you are a distance off-site.

The clarion inn is a bit away from hotel plaza boulevard and you'd need uber or lynx or a shuttle to get to disney springs or the parks. Personally, I think walking is a long hike in the sun, especially when you've just finished doing about 10/20 miles in the parks!

Also,they've changed the road near Disney Springs to 8 lanes! You have to go up and across a giant walkway to get over to Disney Springs.

If the value resort is too expensive, try some of the wdw partner hotels. The nearest 1 to Disney springs is the hilton orlando disney springs.Its right beside the walkway and they also do shuttles to the parks and retain some of the privileges like 60 day fastpass and extra magic hours (although with covid things can change).
We stayed at the Buena Vista Palace, now the Hilton buena vista palace and it was lovely. AT the time, we could cross the road from the hotel straight into disney springs marketplace but that was before the 8 lanes. Now its a 10min walk to the walkway to cross over or get the shuttle to the parks.

We also stayed at Doubletree near seaworld. Very pretty but we felt it was too far out. No uber or lyft at that time and the lynx bus took forever to get there!

You could consider a split stay to reduce costs but remember if you book onsite with tickets, the start date of the tickets is the day you check in to your disney resort, so you have to do disney first then offsite.

any more info just pm me

thanks

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM

Edited at 09:22 PM.
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Last April we didn’t hire a car til the end as Easter hols are extortionate! Picked one up when the price dropped. I was a bit worried as we always have a car but tbh we loved it. Lyft is so cheap and was far more cost effective to me in not paying for parking, hiring the car, petrol and just the general ‘risk’ of driving. That’s not to say I won’t hire a car as I will as we like to travel but if I was staying on I drive I would use Lyft. However I do understand why ppl like the convienence of a car
Old 16 Aug 20, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
pingufan
Helping Minnie

Hi all,

Has anyone heard about the demolition of some plaza near the Clarion next year? To make room for the new I4 sliproad.

Apparently it’s the plaza with the Goodings supermarket and other shops. The whole plaza is now closed up and RV trailers are parked up.

I was looking to book the Clarion due to its proximity to shops and eateries, especially Millers LBV, I don’t want to book if the place will be a building site. Anyone have any news on this?
pingufan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Personally without a car I would not like to stay off site. So much wasted time it’s a false economy in my view. The exception is maybe if I was prepared to be using Uber all the time, which is maybe a good option nowadays. But still waiting around etc (I am a regular Uber user).
I’ve literally never waited around for a Lyft or Uber in Orlando (except one 4am one from Four Corners to MCO which said 10 minutes on the app and was exactly that). Can’t say the same for Uber over here though.
Two minute wait for Lyft versus waiting for a tram or a long trudge to the car (except MK all are close pick ups) Lyft wins anyway.

Edited at 09:07 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List