Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 May 20, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Oh no, have I been scammed?

Just having a browse around the interwebby supposedly investigating stuff for the house But I saw some really nice trainer type shoes. I thought I had checked out the company - Impressmall - but now wondering as it is showing on paypal as a company called Jiadi it had the padlock sign on it. Contact address ends in .yip which I have no idea what it means. Suppose I used paypal and it is only £25 but a bit cheesed off - lockdown obvs getting to me
Old 5 May 20, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

hate to say it, but i think youve been scammed

scamdoc/view/223577

dont feel too bad, i've even been caught out TWICE in recent months. both via facebook adverts for cool gadgets. they seemed like no brainers and were at a very reasonable price.

upon deeper inspection, the products images and stuff were nicked from kickstarter for a product 5 times the price. the other item was available on amazon for 3 times the price. i now have two paypal claims in to try to claw back the money.

so yeah, even I got scammed, and i can usually spot these sort of things a mile off. both times via facebook adverts. i now dont trust *any* facebook ads, and always do a reverse image search if there is anything im remotely interested in...

*edit*
heres what i wrote on facebook last week:

BEWARE SCAM FACEBOOK ADVERTS!

i'm not someone who usually gets scammed, and can usually spot something iffy a mile off, but recently (the last few months) i've bought two things via fb ads that i've now had to put in a paypal refund claim for, as one didn't even turn up, and the other was a piece of garbage plastic not even worth a quid.

the first one was a cardboard midi controller. i thought it was cardboard, and mostly contained cheap arcade controller buttons that £30 seemed a reasonable price for it, so i thought why not, and ordered. after it not arriving, and not hearing back from the seller for over a month, i put a paypal claim in, and whilst doing so, i discovered this kickstarter, charging considerably more for the exact same thing

kickstarter/projects...controller-kit

the second item was a metal sink rack thing for £20 or so. again seemed ok for the price, so i ordered. and this photo is what turned up! the website i ordered from is long gone, but identical variants have popped up... wheedle.store/products/stain...-kitchen-drain is one of them.

so yeah. be wary of facebook ads, even I am susceptible. always pay with paypal or similar too so you have buyer protections and you aren't entering card details into a potential scam website, who could clear you out. especially if its a debit card!

now i just have to hope i get the refunds from paypal... fortunately, i'm only £50 out of pocket.

(im making this post public in case anyone wants to share with others)

Edited at 02:56 PM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 20, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

My husband got scammed by a company on Facebook too. PayPal were really good at refunding.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 20, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post

yeah was going to say paypal are normally good for refunding.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 20, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

I recently bought some T shirts that came up on Google ads, I didn;t realise it was a Chinese company, looking at reviews (after buying stupidly!) really bad, maybe not a "scam" but certainly not a site I would have purchased from. I will see if they turn up and what they are like, but I'm hopeful PayPal might refund if there are any issues.
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 20, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Lots of scammers out there. In fact I received the wotsapp message below earlier and at first I thought it was a scam, but when I contacted them the guy in broken English assured me it was genuine. So I've paid him £350 for various products, and once I order them off amazon and leave feedback he will refund the entire £350, so not everyone is a scammer:

Edited at 03:18 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 20, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

If they don't turn up / are not as advertised put a claim in with Paypal

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 20, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I bought shoes from an online ad that popped up on instagram -despite my best instincts warning me off. They were only £20 and were just what I was looking for.

Anyway the shoes arrived and were too small, though were marked as my size and I never have problems with shoe sizes. I looked up how to return them. They were posted from London, but lo and behold, I would have to return them at my own expense to China. The email back from company suggested I give them to a relative (which I did) or donate to a charity shop! If I had returned them, I expect the company would have said they hadn't arrived, unless I had paid extra for tracking.

Lesson leaned.

OP check the company on Trust Pilot.
Old 5 May 20, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
hate to say it, but i think youve been scammed

scamdoc/view/223577

dont feel too bad, i've even been caught out TWICE in recent months. both via facebook adverts for cool gadgets. they seemed like no brainers and were at a very reasonable price.

upon deeper inspection, the products images and stuff were nicked from kickstarter for a product 5 times the price. the other item was available on amazon for 3 times the price. i now have two paypal claims in to try to claw back the money.

so yeah, even I got scammed, and i can usually spot these sort of things a mile off. both times via facebook adverts. i now dont trust *any* facebook ads, and always do a reverse image search if there is anything im remotely interested in...

*edit*
heres what i wrote on facebook last week:

BEWARE SCAM FACEBOOK ADVERTS!

i'm not someone who usually gets scammed, and can usually spot something iffy a mile off, but recently (the last few months) i've bought two things via fb ads that i've now had to put in a paypal refund claim for, as one didn't even turn up, and the other was a piece of garbage plastic not even worth a quid.

the first one was a cardboard midi controller. i thought it was cardboard, and mostly contained cheap arcade controller buttons that £30 seemed a reasonable price for it, so i thought why not, and ordered. after it not arriving, and not hearing back from the seller for over a month, i put a paypal claim in, and whilst doing so, i discovered this kickstarter, charging considerably more for the exact same thing

kickstarter/projects...controller-kit

the second item was a metal sink rack thing for £20 or so. again seemed ok for the price, so i ordered. and this photo is what turned up! the website i ordered from is long gone, but identical variants have popped up... wheedle.store/products/stain...-kitchen-drain is one of them.

so yeah. be wary of facebook ads, even I am susceptible. always pay with paypal or similar too so you have buyer protections and you aren't entering card details into a potential scam website, who could clear you out. especially if its a debit card!

now i just have to hope i get the refunds from paypal... fortunately, i'm only £50 out of pocket.

(im making this post public in case anyone wants to share with others)

Like you I ignore these ads until today I'm pretty sure it is similar to what you said as there was another pair I liked and I did do a regular search and the same were 3 x the price so I didn't buy those ones! I will wait and see!

Originally Posted by GoldenAvalanche View Post
I recently bought some T shirts that came up on Google ads, I didn;t realise it was a Chinese company, looking at reviews (after buying stupidly!) really bad, maybe not a "scam" but certainly not a site I would have purchased from. I will see if they turn up and what they are like, but I'm hopeful PayPal might refund if there are any issues.
dd has just done this for some t-shirts too, obviously like mother like daughter!

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
Lots of scammers out there. In fact I received the wotsapp message below earlier and at first I thought it was a scam, but when I contacted them the guy in broken English assured me it was genuine. So I've paid him £350 for various products, and once I order them off amazon and leave feedback he will refund the entire £350, so not everyone is a scammer:

Wow almost too good to be true

Originally Posted by Disney_time View Post
I bought shoes from an online ad that popped up on instagram -despite my best instincts warning me off. They were only £20 and were just what I was looking for.

Anyway the shoes arrived and were too small, though were marked as my size and I never have problems with shoe sizes. I looked up how to return them. They were posted from London, but lo and behold, I would have to return them at my own expense to China. The email back from company suggested I give them to a relative (which I did) or donate to a charity shop! If I had returned them, I expect the company would have said they hadn't arrived, unless I had paid extra for tracking.

Lesson leaned.

OP check the company on Trust Pilot.
This is the type of thing I'm thinking may happen, oh well my dd might like them as she has smaller feet than me!

Thanks everyone, glad I used paypal and thank you for the advice. If nothing shows up I will open a case. Lesson learned
Old 5 May 20, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Was it fairy season by any chance?!
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List