Notices

Old 7 May 16, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Red Sox and Redcoats - Boston, April 2016 - Part 1

I thought I'd test out the Trip Reporter App by doing a brief report of my trip to Boston in April. The trip came about initially because there is an Avios "sweet spot" for flights between Dublin and Boston, 25k Avios points and £75 return. I also used 9k Avios and £35 for my flights between Heathrow and Dublin.

Sunday 10th April
I drove down to my Dad's and parked my car. My Dad lives close to a Piccadilly Line station and so I jumped on the tube to Terminal 5. I had checked in online and so dropped my bags and went through security. I had a wander around, bought a magazine and some water and just waited for my gate to be called. Boarding was painless, we were served a drink and some biscuits and landed about 55 minutes later in Dublin.
I collected my case and got the shuttle bus to the Holiday Inn Express, which I had booked in Expedia for £44 got the night. The room was nice, modern and well worth the money. I dropped my case and went down to the bar where I had a couple of beers and watched Spurs beat Manchester United. I then moved to one of the restaurant tables and enjoyed salmon pasta followed by a chocolate brownie.
Back in the room I watched some TV, read and had an early night.

Monday 11th April
Up early and down for the included breakfast. The usual cold items plus sausages, bacon, beans and scrambled eggs. Nothing exceptional but filling.
I got the shuttle bus back to the airport and checked in for my Aer Lingus flight. As I had booked with BA I wasn't able to do online check-in but it was no issue. I used the automatic check-in and bag drop kiosks so was done in no time.
Through security and another wander around the shops where I got some water, mints and another book. I got a coffee and sat reading until about an hour and a half before the flight when I went through pre-clearance. Wow, how easy. Because I have been to the States in the last 2 years and have an ESTA I used one of the kiosks. This also meant I didn't need my carefully filled out customs form. The only problem was you can't adjust the camera and have to adjust yourself instead. I took my printout to the immigration officer, identified my case on a screen, answered a couple of questions and was through. A total of 10 minutes.
The area beyond was a bit spartan but I found a seat and read. Boarding was painless again and the flight was good, or as good as economy flying ever is. The only issue was my seat decided to recline by itself and I had to keep apologising to the American lady sat behind me as I descended towards her. I kept pulling my seat back up but in the end gave up.
I had beef stroganoff as my meal and before landing a sandwich was served. Disembarking as a domestic arrival was easy and after a hike through the terminal to the luggage carousel I had my bag and was ready to go.
I wandered to the other end of the terminal and got a MBTA weekly pass from the machine for $19. It didn't accept my Caxton card but my Revolut card worked fine. I then took the Back Bay Express bus to Copley Square, where I wandered past the area where they were setting up for the Boston Marathon and went into a branch of the TD Bank. I withdrew $100 using my Caxton card as TD Bank doesn't charge ATM fees.

I carried on to my accommodation for my stay. Boston hotels were quite pricey when I booked so I chose The College Club of Boston B&B. A single room with shared bathroom, although as I was the only single room on my floor I didn't need to share. It cost £660 for my stay including breakfast, 24 hour coffee and cookies and free Wi-Fi. No TV or tax or coffee making facilities in the room though. The College Club is the oldest women's college club in n the US, so the building has bags of character and history. And it creaks a lot!

My room was nicely decorated, clean and quite cosy. The shower room down the hall was clean and well appointed. I was quite happy with my choice and the price I was paying, a good start.
I unpacked and then went out for a stroll. I didn't have any particular place to go so just wandered around. It was sunny but chilly and the streets close to the hotel were quite busy as it's the main shopping area. The hotel is also very close to the Public Gardens and a T stop so it's very well located.
I ended up at the Prudential Center so went to the Cheesecake Factory for something to eat. I had the meatloaf and a coke but had no room for any actual cheesecake. Afterwards I picked up some water for the room from a 7 Eleven and went back to the B&B where I grabbed a coffee and cookies and went back up to my room to read and for an early night as I was bushed.

Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 16, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Loftus - 7 May 16 4:14 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 16, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Red
Proud to wear my Ears

Red's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Sounds like a bargain to me 😀 I would never have thought to look for flights like that but I will now, thanks.
Red is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 16, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Red
Proud to wear my Ears

Red's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
P.s. Looking forward to part 2 😀
Red is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List