Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 3 Jul 17, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
It took a looooonnnng time to reply as I was trying to think of something profound to say. But the juices were not flowing.

Perhaps there were no juices because you hit the nail on the head and there was nothing more to add. So, I'll settle for thank you and gracefully accept the advice, albeit, I will struggle to adhere to it!

Well, I'm going to accept that compliment and run - I won't even charge you for the therapy.

Sometimes we just need to hear OTHER PEOPLE say things we already know. A little bit of confirming the brethren, I reckon.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 17, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
SEAWORLD FAN
slightly serious Dibber

Having a break, having a kit kat (seriously, I am!) so thought I'd read another day. As much as I love seeing hauls from the usual shops, I equally enjoyed seeing what you bought in Boston. I'm just a bit nosey really.

Loving all the books in particular. My favourite past-time is reading so I've been bought a kindle or two in the past as presents and they were the perfect presents to buy but there really is nothing like holding an actual book in your hands. I am, unfortunately, the only reader in our house so have to go to the bedroom for quiet time as nobody seems to think I am doing anything when I read beside them and continue to ask me things, show me things, annoy me...:angry:

To be fair to my youngest step-daughter; despite detesting reading she loves going to the library (wait for it...) as it makes her feel intelligent.
SEAWORLD FAN is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 17, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by SEAWORLD FAN View Post
Having a break, having a kit kat (seriously, I am!) so thought I'd read another day. As much as I love seeing hauls from the usual shops, I equally enjoyed seeing what you bought in Boston. I'm just a bit nosey really.

Loving all the books in particular. My favourite past-time is reading so I've been bought a kindle or two in the past as presents and they were the perfect presents to buy but there really is nothing like holding an actual book in your hands. I am, unfortunately, the only reader in our house so have to go to the bedroom for quiet time as nobody seems to think I am doing anything when I read beside them and continue to ask me things, show me things, annoy me...:angry:

To be fair to my youngest step-daughter; despite detesting reading she loves going to the library (wait for it...) as it makes her feel intelligent.

I love shopping hauls. As I mentioned in this post, they are my guilty YouTube pleasure - and I quite enjoy seeing DIFFERENT things. So much "stuff" is the same in America and Europe now (long gone my childhood - when you couldn't get peanut butter in Ireland) - so I do enjoy a lookyloo at atypical purchases. I mean I like Yankee Candles too, but come on.

It must be difficult to be the only reader in your house - books are so important to me - and I would find very hard not to be able to share that passion with my husband and child.

And maybe your step-daughter will pick up the love of reading by osmosis on your visits to the library...? No?

Mmm...KitKat...
Old 9 Aug 17, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
SEAWORLD FAN
slightly serious Dibber

Yes, it is very frustrating that nobody else reads. In the early days I would buy the girls a book as part of their birthday/Christmas present and we would read them together. I have always loved all the old Irish legends and came across the Ladybird books with child friendly versions and they really enjoyed them. We took them to visit places like the Giant's Causeway to bring the tales to life. However, as their parents are not readers either I was fighting a losing battle. Such a shame but you can only try so hard.

With regards the osmosis idea - I don't think it is completely beyond the realms of possibility. I would just say that we have been to libraries all over the country and indeed in other countries on our travels and it has yet to happen. Also, she's 19 so I kind of think that if it was going to happen we'd have seen the results by now!
SEAWORLD FAN is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 17, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by SEAWORLD FAN View Post
Yes, it is very frustrating that nobody else reads. In the early days I would buy the girls a book as part of their birthday/Christmas present and we would read them together. I have always loved all the old Irish legends and came across the Ladybird books with child friendly versions and they really enjoyed them. We took them to visit places like the Giant's Causeway to bring the tales to life. However, as their parents are not readers either I was fighting a losing battle. Such a shame but you can only try so hard.

With regards the osmosis idea - I don't think it is completely beyond the realms of possibility. I would just say that we have been to libraries all over the country and indeed in other countries on our travels and it has yet to happen. Also, she's 19 so I kind of think that if it was going to happen we'd have seen the results by now!

Nineteen! I was imagining a wee moppet...

I never understand when an Irishman/woman doesn't love to read...surely it's in our blood. We "saved civilisation" with our books!

Sorry, climbing down from soapbox...

Poot and I love visiting libraries - you just never know what you'll find - plus, they're free. We've yet to see Giant's Causeway though - I haven't been back to the North of Ireland in nearly twenty years...Poot would love to go, though - he wants to see "The Ancient Oak at Belvoir". But I have a hard time picking my holiday destinations based on trees...
Old 10 Aug 17, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Red
Proud to wear my Ears

Red's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Love the shopping haul information. We avoid buying what we perceive as 'American treats' over here - it's just not the same 😳 Also going round second hand bookshops is one of our favourite things to do. I usually end up buying lots of old cook books which I love reading but rarely cook from ☺️
Red is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 17, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Red View Post
Love the shopping haul information. We avoid buying what we perceive as 'American treats' over here - it's just not the same 😳 Also going round second hand bookshops is one of our favourite things to do. I usually end up buying lots of old cook books which I love reading but rarely cook from ☺️
Agreed! Plus, I am very cheap - and can't make myself pay £6 for Oreos - no matter what flavour they are.

Old cookbooks are the best, aren't they? Every time I buy a new cookbook I PROMISE myself I will make every recipe in it - and then I don't. But I might ONE DAY, right?

Thanks for coming shopping with us!
Old 18 Aug 17, 12:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Now, where was I?

...Oooh, shopping!

I've said it before, I'll (very probably) say it again. We're not nosy, we're interested! Still, we won't tell RC.

On the subject of RC. Ray Charles? ...Not Robin Cousins? Russell Crowe? Or Richie Cunningham? Or Robbie Coltrane?

For Whom Shopping is a Social Disease ... Luckily, I am not so afflicted, therefore, I can continue safely.

Gosh, yes! You and RC must have had vastly different experiences growing up. Often, that's interesting, but, just occasionally, you want someone who grew up in the same time and place to reminisce (and shop) with! (Preposition, damn! "With whom to" just sounds so formal.)

The baseball reminds me, I have one somewhere. Mine may have Mickey on, though! I'm trying to work out what I see in Glen Perkins' autograph. Something akin to the Rorschach ink blot test. Maybe a sleeping polar bear! Dread to think what that (supposedly) says about me! ETA: Just proo-reading this and discovered Ihad typed (with the help of predictive text?) polar ball. That probably says something different!

You don't wear flats? You only wear heels? My feet are a abit shaken by that idea!

Cheese popcorn WITH caramel popcorn? That breaks all your food rules, surely! Robin's Eggs sound good, though. I like malted chocolate. And that coconut cream egg!

I really like Poot's t-shirt, by the way. With a slightly more open crew neck, I'd wear that!

Poot's denim jacket is fabulous! (Or some appropriately current adjective. )

I do like a good food magazine. I imagine cooking many things in them... Ahem. Do you follow through? Also, so many recipes I like online are in cups! Very frustrating. The Pioneer woman makes some good 'stuff'. ETA: I like the idea of food magazines that are less serious.

And... so many books!

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 17, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
Now, where was I?

...Oooh, shopping!

I've said it before, I'll (very probably) say it again. We're not nosy, we're interested! Still, we won't tell RC.

On the subject of RC. Ray Charles? ...Not Robin Cousins? Russell Crowe? Or Richie Cunningham? Or Robbie Coltrane?

(A) Real Curmudgeon

For Whom Shopping is a Social Disease ... Luckily, I am not so afflicted, therefore, I can continue safely.

Gosh, yes! You and RC must have had vastly different experiences growing up. Often, that's interesting, but, just occasionally, you want someone who grew up in the same time and place to reminisce (and shop) with! (Preposition, damn! "With whom to" just sounds so formal.)

The baseball reminds me, I have one somewhere. Mine may have Mickey on, though! I'm trying to work out what I see in Glen Perkins' autograph. Something akin to the Rorschach ink blot test. Maybe a sleeping polar bear! Dread to think what that (supposedly) says about me! ETA: Just proo-reading this and discovered Ihad typed (with the help of predictive text?) polar ball. That probably says something different!

You KNOW I feel your pain there. Poot and I were talking about the subjunctive this morning. "But everybody else says 'If I WAS, Mother!"

Too bad, kid. You'll thank me one day.

And yes - I've written about gaps to understanding quite a bit on the Dibb. It is sad (occasionally) that I can't/don't share a common history with my husband. Poot and I were recently in Minnesota - it was just such a treat to spend time with my old girlfriends and talk.

"Polar ball(s)" calls up quite the image.

Seriously, though - I do struggle with scribbly autographs. I once read an interview with Reggie Jackson - and he was asked about the time he took with his signature. His reply?

Something like..."That was my father's name. That's my family name. Every time I sign I want to respect my father and my family name."

I really took that on board.

You don't wear flats? You only wear heels? My feet are a abit shaken by that idea!

I have the body of a penguin - a LONG torso and then tiny, stubby little legs - heels are a MUST.

Cheese popcorn WITH caramel popcorn? That breaks all your food rules, surely! Robin's Eggs sound good, though. I like malted chocolate. And that coconut cream egg!

I really like Poot's t-shirt, by the way. With a slightly more open crew neck, I'd wear that!

Poot's denim jacket is fabulous! (Or some appropriately current adjective. )

I do like a good food magazine. I imagine cooking many things in them... Ahem. Do you follow through? Also, so many recipes I like online are in cups! Very frustrating. The Pioneer woman makes some good 'stuff'. ETA: I like the idea of food magazines that are less serious.

And... so many books!

Many thanks for all the splendid comments - even on the candy. Poot was very happy you liked his jacket. He has outgrown that one and is not-so-patiently waiting for me to start sewing the patches on the next size up. But I still haven't finished his "My Patronus is a Dragon" shirt...such a lazy mother, Dibbing - when I should be sewing.

I only cook in cups - I CANNOT be bothered with weighing ingredients. The next time you're in America, get yourself a good set of stainless steel measuring cups - I think it may just revolutionise the way you cook!

...will have to try "The Pioneer Woman" - I did actually look for that magazine at JFK, but could find neither that one NOR "Garden and Gun". Quel Dommage!

Sorry to be so tardy in reply...I just can't type on my tablet - and I've only just now returned to Europe and been reunited with my laptop. Mad props (stop laughing! ) to Dibbers who do live trippies/food reports on their mobiles!

I have replied to your excellent comments in the quote - I'm giving this a try for long replies as I hope to make my responses F-L-O-W better...we'll see!
Old 2 Nov 17, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Cazzius
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
Love the name of this joint! We had Poot pose under the sign because he is OBSESSED with cheese...
Cheese is a marvellous, wonderful, delicious thing - you go Poot!

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
I don’t actually wear flats - ever...so what am I going to do with these? I occasionally take them out of their box and admire them...

I couldn’t resist them...has anybody out there ever been able to put a little “lifting” insole in this style of Vans? It doesn’t seem like there’s much room...
These are too cute. I am impressed at you not wearing flats... I never wear heels unless I can help it.
I've got one leg shorter than the other and for a while had a little wedge I would put into my shoes to try and lessen the difference. It would go fine in shoes like your Vans, but this wasn't really to add height so i'm not sure if a lifting insole would work. Sorry, that didn't help AT ALL.

I do think they are super cute though.

Thank you for sharing your haul, you bought some great stuff.

I was going to do one for our trip but we've opened/eaten/worn/used almost everything now so not sure it would be as good!

Poot's jacket with the patches is super cool.

I was going to ask how you felt about nuts in chocolate (like Reeses) after your expression of disgust at nuts in the brownie. Now I know
Peanut butter and chocolate is one of my all time favourite combinations so I am happy to see peanut butter choccy being stocked up on.

Doesn't help now but I went to a coffee shop in Washington DC that did peanut butter mocha. Mmmmmmmm

Love your selection of books from the library sale, lucky that they don't weigh hand luggage!

Shame they didn't have any decent merchandise at the figure skating, especially when you think of the clientele - cute mittens/hats/scarves with embroidery/diamante details, or hoodies/fleece in nice colours with understated embroidery, or cool back prints would have been popular I reckon.

I liked having a nosy at your haul, thank for sharing!

First Time Floribobs (The Irma Remix) - WDW trip report *Complete*
While The Cat's Away, The Caz Will Play With The Mouse - Solo DLP Trip Report
Cazzius is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List