Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Sep 19, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ds4ljs View Post
Liverpool for us on Saturday so really interesting to read this thread...
What did you think of Liverpool? We’ve got in pencilled in for October.
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Ds4ljs
Imagineer

Ds4ljs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
What did you think of Liverpool? We’ve got in pencilled in for October.
My daughter loved John Moore’s but not Hope (due to the course) Loved the city, it was so friendly. She’s wanting to do English Lit and Drama as a joint hons.
Ds4ljs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Dreaming
VIP Dibber

I know its nothing to do with the Uni visits, but how are your kids getting on, DS was upbeat until last night when he seems to be crashing, he seems really overwhelmed at the mo and is under so much pressure, he say's that he is getting no support at college, i have rang 3 times and emailed all his teachers to see if there is a plan that can be implemented so far i have heard nothing back from anyone which is worrying to me.
Disney Dreaming is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Ds4ljs
Imagineer

Ds4ljs's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Disney Dreaming View Post
I know its nothing to do with the Uni visits, but how are your kids getting on, DS was upbeat until last night when he seems to be crashing, he seems really overwhelmed at the mo and is under so much pressure, he say's that he is getting no support at college, i have rang 3 times and emailed all his teachers to see if there is a plan that can be implemented so far i have heard nothing back from anyone which is worrying to me.
I feel for them. DD has just had her last parents evening. She gets overwhelmed on open days so I’ve learned to give her more time to process what’s going on. I think the enormity of leaving home has become very real along with the closeness of her exams...
Ds4ljs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
galaxyflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi everyone
Hope you don’t mind me joining in, glad I found this thread! My DS did his A levels this summer, but on results day decided he wasn’t ready for uni this year and deferred his place at Sheffield for Sept 2020.

Orlando I-Drive April 2010, July 2017
New York and Washington October 2016
New York and Toronto July 2019
galaxyflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Debsie25
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by Disney Dreaming View Post

I completely understand this. The amount of work they get at A-Level is so overwhelming isn't it.

DD seems to have no free time any more, she just goes to school then comes home to spend the rest of the day in her room working. Add on the pressure of Uni visits and writing personal statement for UCAS application, it's all getting a bit much.

Hope you get some support from college soon.
Old 3 Oct 19, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Dreaming
VIP Dibber

They rang and plans have been put in place with him to move forward,
she said that A-levels prepare them for life (which i am not sure is strictly true)

Worrying never stops does it.
Disney Dreaming is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Ds4ljs
Imagineer

Ds4ljs's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Debsie25 View Post
I completely understand this. The amount of work they get at A-Level is so overwhelming isn't it.

DD seems to have no free time any more, she just goes to school then comes home to spend the rest of the day in her room working. Add on the pressure of Uni visits and writing personal statement for UCAS application, it's all getting a bit much.

Hope you get some support from college soon.
This is the same in our house. It is reassuring that we are not alone
Old 3 Oct 19, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
scottish mama
VIP Dibber

Hi there, DS who's in Y13 only decided in the summer hols (whilst in pool on Gulf coast) that he was thinking about uni after being sure he wanted to do degree apprenticeship.
He's doing Geography, History and Economics but doesn't know what or where to study, so we've only got 2 visits booked, Leeds and Manchester. He's going to Leeds with a friend and we're taking them to Manchester. We're in NE and he doesn't want to go the Newcastle or as far south as London .
Any advice gratefully received!
scottish mama is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 19, 07:20 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by scottish mama View Post
Hi there, DS who's in Y13 only decided in the summer hols (whilst in pool on Gulf coast) that he was thinking about uni after being sure he wanted to do degree apprenticeship.
He's doing Geography, History and Economics but doesn't know what or where to study, so we've only got 2 visits booked, Leeds and Manchester. He's going to Leeds with a friend and we're taking them to Manchester. We're in NE and he doesn't want to go the Newcastle or as far south as London .
Any advice gratefully received!
Hi, my DD has just started uni this year and I’m on the 2019 uni visit thread so we have just been through this 😀

I would suggest your son looks at some university websites and requests some prospectuses to look through. We found these very useful as they gave details of all the courses available and what modules were studied as well as info about the university itself. My DD made a list of pros and cons from these which helped her decide which unis to visit for open days. Her pros and cons considered the course, the size of the university, the city itself, the university ranking especially in her chosen subject, price of accommodation and how far from home it was.

She also found Which? University website had a lot of good information as well as the UCAS website. There is also a lots of opinions and info on last year’s university visit thread on here. Good luck to your son, I hope he finds the course and university that suits him 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List