Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 May 17, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
I like the look of Knotts Berry , it's on my list to do one day ,
I'll give an update on what I thought of it.

Old 22 May 17, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by rusty30 View Post
but got set up with a rucksack of supplies (for the strenuous 45 min walk ) and felt like Bear Grylls as we set off on the trail...

About 30 seconds in, I slid on some loose gravel and went flying.
Soooo - if you do decide to hike, wear sensible footwear (I had converse on which I thought would be ok but weren't) and non flimsy clothes (if you do fall, the gravel on the trails is like tiny daggers). Even my jeans were ripped apart.
Sorry to laugh at your mishap - but you posted it in a very funny manner.
My wife was with me and she managed fine, but we do a little bit of walking - not up hill's or Munroe's or anything mind you - and we were fine.

I think you were very unlucky - I was wearing Merrel's (good footwear essential for any California/Vegas holiday in my opinion because you walk loads) but my wife hadbeen wearing go walks without any doubt.

I was more worried about the sign warning to look out for rattle snakes - but we never saw any - and loads of locals walk the trail.

For the OP - yes very doable to park in Hollywood and Highland - I went to valudate my ticket with purchase - the very nice ladies at validation did not even want to see my receipt - we were well within the 2 hrs. And the Observatory is not far away.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 17, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

It was my own fault really - I had totally the wrong footwear! Usually, the most 'trekking' I do in LA is round The Grove or Whole Foods

The only good thing was that I had finished my work assignment (which was filming & interviewing backstage on a TV show) - not sure me turning up looking like a limping, battered extra from the Walking Dead would've gone down too well with the glitterati
rusty30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 17, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

We did all the normal things in an afternoon as we just wanted to see them, had lunch at the Farmers Market and a quick look around the Grove shopping centre. We really enjoyed a morning at the La Brea tar pits (had a lovely lunch sat outside) and a fantastic day at Universal - despite it raining and no where open for lunch - we starved until 2 when suddenly the park was full and everything open.
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 17, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

As others have said the Chinese Theatre and walk of fame could be done as part of a day doing the observatory or even the zoo (very reasonable $20 and free parking).
Knotts berry farm and disney are both south of LA and if your were lucky would be 1.5 hours but likley to be much longer. So I would look to book a hotel for a night and do 2 full days, there is plenty to keep you busy for 2 days.
Knotts Berry is a good park and has a great kids area plus some big rides for the older ones in the group. Tickets are cheaper then disney as well.
You may want to ask the relatives to look out for deal as they may be able to buy tickets cheaper.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 17, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by shack69 View Post
As others have said the Chinese Theatre and walk of fame could be done as part of a day doing the observatory or even the zoo (very reasonable $20 and free parking).
Knotts berry farm and disney are both south of LA and if your were lucky would be 1.5 hours but likley to be much longer. So I would look to book a hotel for a night and do 2 full days, there is plenty to keep you busy for 2 days.
Knotts Berry is a good park and has a great kids area plus some big rides for the older ones in the group. Tickets are cheaper then disney as well.
You may want to ask the relatives to look out for deal as they may be able to buy tickets cheaper.
We got the Knotts Berry Farm tickets through Viator and got a discount for signing up for their newsletter.

We've booked it for our first day in USA on the assumption we'll be up really early and avoid a lot of traffic.

There's a Denny's nearby that we will hopefully have breakfast in. Love Denny's.

Edited at 08:20 PM.
tocpe321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 17, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
lme30005
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by rusty30 View Post
You could park at the multi storey at Hollywood & Highland. From there you have great views of the Hollywood sign from top floor of the mall there. The Walk of Fame is right there and it's a few mins walk to the Chinese Theatre. You could knock the whole lot out in 30 mins just to say 'you've seen it' and then take the short drive up to Griffith Park (about 15 mins).

If you want to stay longer you could lunch at Mels Diner (50s style juke boxes and old fashioned burgers & shakes- touristy but in a good way!) or there is a Hard Rock Cafe and a Buffalo Wild Wings. There is also a Madame Toussauds if that appeals. The El Capitan theatre is good for a photo and houses the Disney Store too!

Lots of people hate the tackiness of Hollywood Boulevard but I find it quite amusing! I'm probably a bit immune to it now but you can get hassled by 'character actors' that charge for pics, tour guide touts and the like - just walk along briskly and don't engage - they will move on pretty fast.
From where can you see the sign? Is it a different view from the Griffiths Observatory? We are just trying to organise our 'sightseeing' day there, including a visit to The Grove
lme30005 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 17, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
red cuillen
Excited about Disney

Another vote for Knotts berry Farm, well suited for your children given their ages, good mix of fun rides and thrill rides, and don't forget to buy some boysenberry jam! Not far from Disney though, so wrong side of LA again from your base. Hopefully your relatives can advise - or even drive you!
Sea temp is around 14 in Feb, bit like the south coast of England in early June!
red cuillen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 17, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
VicStar
VIP Dibber

If we can borrow relatives to come with us or get residents discounts then we absolutely will! DH is a very confident driver with innate, inhuman sat-nav skills, plus he used to spend his summer holidays in LA so isn't too worried about finding his way about, but you can't beat having a local with you!

I do fancy Knotts Berry but worry it might be too many theme parks in too short a space of time? Disney is non-negotiable as far as I'm concerned

The Tar Pits look interesting too!

I'll make sure we all have sensible footwear while sightseeing...

Edited at 09:29 PM.
VicStar is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 17, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lme30005 View Post
From where can you see the sign? Is it a different view from the Griffiths Observatory? We are just trying to organise our 'sightseeing' day there, including a visit to The Grove
This is the view from the Hollywood & Highland mall:

rusty30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List