Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 6 Jul 17, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Road Trip – OLD & NEW ADVENTURES – Day 2 – Caladesi I, Dunedin, Clearwater

Road Trip – OLD & NEW ADVENTURES – Day 2 – Caladesi I, Dunedin, Clearwater

Woke up to cloud and wind – not quite what we expected but we were here and had our whole holiday to look forward to! Clouds aren't a bad thing on your first day either, especially as where we were going there was little shade.

We walked the 2 blocks to the beach and had breakfast in Crabby’s Beachside Café. I had bagel, cream cheese and fruit and Will went for the eggs etc etc, which I find way too much. We chatted to the server and he told us that some of these new buildings had only sprung up over the last 4 months and were changing the face of the place entirely.

This was the morning we were going to my favourite place – Caladesi Island. I just love the little boat over and the gorgeous beach with shells. It’s accessed via Honeymoon Island State Park. We missed the first ferry at 10am by 10 minutes so had to wait until 10.30 for the next one. I do think the people who work on this ferry have THE best job in the world and I’d love to do it!

It was a bit choppy this morning, even on the ‘inland’ bit of water and there was a fair bit of splashing! We’ve seen dolphin here before but not this time. You’re only allowed 4 hours on the island in total. We walked the trail to the beach and I was really disappointed to find it rough with the waves almost going sideways with the wind and almost no shells! Only small ones, none of the really big ones we’ve previously found at all.

We paddled along the shore and sat on a bench next to a lovely dead tree, weathered by the elements. It was obviously unsafe to swim in the sea as the flags were up (last time it was really smooth and we were in the water for ages!) so we decided to walk back and do the nature trail instead. We stopped off at the café for a drink first and played on the swings like big kids. It was more sheltered on the nature trail from the wind.

On the ferry back there were 2 guys from Ohio. One had got engaged on the island and had gone back to collect sand for the sand ceremony at their wedding. Aaah! We were almost at the dock when a dolphin appeared – yay! Sorry, I didn’t manage to get a photo.

We then drove round Honeymoon Island and stopped at the South Beach Café for a look see. We climbed up to the top to look out onto Clearwater and Caladesi – and there down below us was a Gopher Tortoise! We’d never seen a tortoise in Florida before, despite all the signs, and this was a big one – about a foot long! He was wandering around and eating lots.

On the way back to Clearwater we stopped off in Dunedin. We really liked this little town. I loved the arch over the road. They change who they are honouring every day too. There are lots of antique/gift stores and a railway museum with the remains of the old tracks, a marina and an ice cream shop called Strachans. Will decided to have a double scoop cone– which took him half an hour to eat!

Back at Clearwater Beach we had a game of mini golf at Capt. Blythes Landing – I won by an immense 22 shots. No idea how! We then went to the store which had opened very near our motel for some snacks and drinks, then back to freshen up.

I’d read about the rooftop bar at Pier House 60 hotel on The Dibb. Glad I did as the view were wonderful and we each had a cocktail. The sunset wasn’t good though because of the clouds.

From here we walked over the other side of the Marina and saw this amazing Harley. It belonged to a rapper called King Swagger (… no idea!) and Will had to chat to him. No idea how much it cost. It had masses of speakers and lowered to the ground when he turned it off. It was also extremely shiny!

Dinner was at the Clear Sky Café, also a Dibb tip. Here we had the most amazing fries ever – we asked about them and they bought them in but we never had them anywhere else. We both had a burger. My only one of the holiday – Slimming World gets into your head when it comes to menu choices, but let’s forget about all the ice creams and drinks I had!

Back at the hotel we tidied up a bit before bed. We concluded that Clearwater was very different from our first experience of it. Although we still liked it, it was far more high-rise and maybe we would stay somewhere else, like Dunedin, next time. Tomorrow would be our journey to Crystal River for our Manatee swim!

I can highly recommend the Sta N Pla Marina Resort - lovely rooms, pool and dock.

Index - https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...4#post12643444

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023

Edited at 03:32 PM.
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 17, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
FLAFantastic
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Excellent!

Looking forward to hearing about the Manatee swim as I want to do this in August

Was looking to book tickets on pay day!

AnnMarie
Old 6 Jul 17, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Ooo that burger looks yummy, you must have amazing self control to have only had one all trip!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 17, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post

Oh, no! The shells! So disappointed for you.

But I'm really glad you posted about it - so that I can explain to Poot that it's a possibility. I am SUPER excited to do Caladesi on our next with-car Florida holiday. And I am totally with you on the ferrymen's jobs. Lucky so-and-sos!

The manatee swim is the thing I keep MEANING TO DO - but never have. I keep wondering about alligators...

And anji - can I be really cheeky and ask...would you be willing to put the occasional snap of YOU in the trippie? I love to see the folks I'm reading about!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 17, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
Oh, no! The shells! So disappointed for you.

But I'm really glad you posted about it - so that I can explain to Poot that it's a possibility. I am SUPER excited to do Caladesi on our next with-car Florida holiday. And I am totally with you on the ferrymen's jobs. Lucky so-and-sos!

The manatee swim is the thing I keep MEANING TO DO - but never have. I keep wondering about alligators...

And anji - can I be really cheeky and ask...would you be willing to put the occasional snap of YOU in the trippie? I love to see the folks I'm reading about!
Hi April - yes I was so surprised! Obviously the tides have a lot to do with it. Usually there are loads of big conches (usually inhabited) and other large shells, but not that day. Were still lots of small ones though.

There's a photo of me in the pre-trip report but as it's me who takes most of them I tend not to be in them. Will keeps forgetting to take his camera out with him but promise to put a few in - I hate having my photo taken though He takes sneaky ones, which I hate!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
Florida Road Trip 2022
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 17, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
capecoralfl
Apprentice Imagineer

Now that's a great Florida day! Keep them coming!
capecoralfl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 17, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Nice day

Joan
Old 15 Jul 17, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Red
Proud to wear my Ears

Red's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I am loving your report, you have given us loads of ideas. We stay in Palm Habor so are near lots of the places you mention. We haven't explored quite as far as some of the places you mention but I am taking notes 😀 I agree with you about Clearwater, we first started coming about 11 years ago and over the last few have really noticed the changes. We certainly do not like it as much and rarely go now, although fancy going to the Clear Sky Cafe now 😀 Looking forward to reading the rest!
Red is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 17, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Red View Post
I am loving your report, you have given us loads of ideas. We stay in Palm Habor so are near lots of the places you mention. We haven't explored quite as far as some of the places you mention but I am taking notes 😀 I agree with you about Clearwater, we first started coming about 11 years ago and over the last few have really noticed the changes. We certainly do not like it as much and rarely go now, although fancy going to the Clear Sky Cafe now 😀 Looking forward to reading the rest!
Glad you're enjoying it - we were shocked how different it was to just 2012. Such a shame but the beach is still lovely!

Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
Florida Road Trip 2022
Old 5 Aug 17, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Dunedin is such a lovely place , I'm hoping we can pop back on our upcoming trip. Made a note about Caladesi and Honeymoon island too, I think we would love them !

Been great seeing some different bits around clearwater
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List