Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 Oct 17, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Minion71 View Post
Highly recommend booking on the day they release Alcatraz tickets - 90 days in advance as they sell fast for the popular slots - the night tour gets snapped up - only managed the day but would love to go at night must be very atmospheric. We stayed in a variety of locations in SF - in Union Square and FW and much prefer the Wharf area - so much to do at night without venturing far - easier with children at FW
Thank you
Old 24 Oct 17, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Buzz242 View Post
Another fan of the Alcatraz night tour, we have also been during the day but preferred the evening visit.
Thank you
Old 24 Oct 17, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lell View Post
I guess it depends on your priorities. We only paid £440 for 3 nights including free parking and free breakfast. It was about a 2 mile walk to FW but we both enjoy walking and walked there and back each day (we got an Uber the night we went to Alcatraz). I couldn't justify the extra £400 upwards to stay in FW.
The Behind the scene tour started about 4pm and joined up with the night time tour later on.
If it was this type of saving I would consider this. Where did you stay?
Old 25 Oct 17, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
If it was this type of saving I would consider this. Where did you stay?
We stayed at Travelodge at the Presidio which I was initially a bit dubious about (I wouldn't stay in a Travelodge in the UK after a couple of bad experiences) but it got good reviews. It was great, the only complaint I could say about it, was our shower room needed a bit of updating but the room itself was great, really comfy bed and the staff were lovely. They even let us park up early in the morning even though check in wasn't until 3pm. If you are a Star Wars fan, it's a 5 min walk to the Yoda statue in the Presidio or about 10 mins to the Disney museum.
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 17, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lell View Post
We stayed at Travelodge at the Presidio which I was initially a bit dubious about (I wouldn't stay in a Travelodge in the UK after a couple of bad experiences) but it got good reviews. It was great, the only complaint I could say about it, was our shower room needed a bit of updating but the room itself was great, really comfy bed and the staff were lovely. They even let us park up early in the morning even though check in wasn't until 3pm. If you are a Star Wars fan, it's a 5 min walk to the Yoda statue in the Presidio or about 10 mins to the Disney museum.
Thank you
Old 26 Oct 17, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Neither... we loved the Lombard St Marina District. FW was too touristy and tacky whilst Union Sq is slap bang in the middle of the city.
We found Lombard St perfect, walking distance to FW and Palace of fine arts with loads of restaurants and shops just one block behind LS. Wouldn't think twice about staying there again.
Old 26 Oct 17, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

We opted for US - it was cheaper and we quite like to be in the " heart of the city" but it is noisy .
As we had the 48 hour HoHo bus tickets we used that to get around - we did take the tram to FW and it wasn't cheap, but there were 5 of us ... and as it was several years ago, we hadn't a clue about the likes of Uber . It was cheap enough the morning we had to get a regular cab to FW for our Alcatraz tour.
They both have their appeal so its really about what works for you . FW wasn't our thing , a bit like Times Square in NY wasn't our thing either , we felt they were a bit too loud and brash for us. But then in Union Square you will likely see more homeless people on the street, hear more sirens and the general hustle of a big city.
I guess, what would you do with $$$ saving and is a really important thing for you in terms of budget?
WileyCoyote is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 17, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
sparkles18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Myakka Lodge View Post
Neither... we loved the Lombard St Marina District. FW was too touristy and tacky whilst Union Sq is slap bang in the middle of the city.
We found Lombard St perfect, walking distance to FW and Palace of fine arts with loads of restaurants and shops just one block behind LS. Wouldn't think twice about staying there again.
We are in San Francisco now and agree with Myakka. We are staying at the Chelsea Inn on Lombard Street which we paid £389 for 3 nights with hopefully £50 cashback making it a great price of £339!
Chestnut Street is one block down with lots of bars and restaurants. You can also catch the bus here for $2.75 which will take you close to FW. We have also walked there in about 30 mins.
We took an Uber last night from Union Square back to the hotel for $11.25 and have also caught the cable car from US to the top of Lombard Street for $7 and it was about a 15 minute walk back to the hotel.
This is the second time we have stayed here and find it a great location with the added bonus of free car parking.
sparkles18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 17, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
We opted for US - it was cheaper and we quite like to be in the " heart of the city" but it is noisy .
As we had the 48 hour HoHo bus tickets we used that to get around - we did take the tram to FW and it wasn't cheap, but there were 5 of us ... and as it was several years ago, we hadn't a clue about the likes of Uber . It was cheap enough the morning we had to get a regular cab to FW for our Alcatraz tour.
They both have their appeal so its really about what works for you . FW wasn't our thing , a bit like Times Square in NY wasn't our thing either , we felt they were a bit too loud and brash for us. But then in Union Square you will likely see more homeless people on the street, hear more sirens and the general hustle of a big city.
I guess, what would you do with $$$ saving and is a really important thing for you in terms of budget?
I read your trauma for the Alcatraz tour ha ha
No TS wasn't for us either...
Thank you it's so difficult making a decision
Old 26 Oct 17, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sparkles18 View Post
We are in San Francisco now and agree with Myakka. We are staying at the Chelsea Inn on Lombard Street which we paid £389 for 3 nights with hopefully £50 cashback making it a great price of £339!
Chestnut Street is one block down with lots of bars and restaurants. You can also catch the bus here for $2.75 which will take you close to FW. We have also walked there in about 30 mins.
We took an Uber last night from Union Square back to the hotel for $11.25 and have also caught the cable car from US to the top of Lombard Street for $7 and it was about a 15 minute walk back to the hotel.
This is the second time we have stayed here and find it a great location with the added bonus of free car parking.
That's an amazing price! Did you book it far in advance? I'm not precious about staying in FW I'm just trying to make it as easy as poss as we r only there for 2 full days!I wouldn't mind a 30min walk.
I will price this now