Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 8 May 09, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazzy
Imagineer

Mazzy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
For those of you who've been to the West Coast of the US

We did part of the West Coast of US 2 years ago, we went to San Francisco, Monterey, Carmel, Disneyland, Hollywood, Santa Monica, Venice Beach and had a great time.

We've thinking about going again next August. Of the places we visited we want to go back to Disneyland, Hollywood, Monterey (for the sea otters!) and Carmel. We will get an internal flight from LA area to Monterey, and our main flights will be to/from LA.

Apart from those places, we're looking for new places to visit between Monterey and Anaheim that we haven't been to before. Also wondering about San Diego.

DS will be 16 and DD will be 20 by next August, so it's practically 4 adults travelling now. Also, we're non-drivers over there so very interested in transportation options too.

I would love to hear about any other places in that area that Dibbers have visited, also where did you stay, and any pics if possible - I don't ask for much do I?

Thank you!

PREVIOUS TRIPS:
WALT DISNEY WORLD:
Dolphin:
MAY 1999, SEPT 2003, XMAS 2005, AUG 2007, APR 2008, APR 2009
Port Orleans Riverside
NOV 2000,
Port Orleans French Quarter APR 2005, OCT 2006
Polynesian: FEB 2007
Caribbean Beach SEPT 2008
DISNEYLAND PARIS: SEPT 1999, JAN 2002, MAY 2006
DISNEYLAND RESORT CALIFORNIA:
AUG 2007, JULY 2010
Mazzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 09, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Our first West Coast trip was similar to yours although 'we' (DH that is) does drive and we included Las Vegas and Yosemite. Our second one we left out LV and San Francisco and stayed a week near San Diego. We loved Southern California so much that we're going back there next year. There are some photos in My Gallery and a trip report entitled 'California Here I Come'.

Kitty
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 09, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazzy
Imagineer

Mazzy's Reviews
Originally Posted by KittyKat View Post
Our first West Coast trip was similar to yours although 'we' (DH that is) does drive and we included Las Vegas and Yosemite. Our second one we left out LV and San Francisco and stayed a week near San Diego. We loved Southern California so much that we're going back there next year. There are some photos in My Gallery and a trip report entitled 'California Here I Come'.

Kitty
Thanks for your reply. DD Sam wants to leave Vegas until she's 21 and can have a gamble, lol, and also I want to do Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam etc, so hopefully we will do that from 2011 onwards when Sam is 'of age'.

Glad to hear you loved Southern California, so which places did you visit in your second trip, along with the week in San Diego? I haven't researched San Diego at all, what did you like about it so much?

Off to have a look at your trip report and photos - thanks.

PREVIOUS TRIPS:
WALT DISNEY WORLD:
Dolphin:
Port Orleans Riverside
NOV 2000,
AUG 2007, JULY 2010
Mazzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 09, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggernut
Imagineer

I was going to suggest Highway 1, Hearst Castle, San Luis Obispo and Solvang but then I read you were non-drivers so I'm not sure how you'd do these places without transport...
1992(Honeymoon)&1993 Quality Inn International; 1995, 1997, 2006 and 2009 West Coast; 1996 & 1999 Comfort Inn LBV; 2004 Indian Ridge; 2005 & 2011 Regal Palms; 2007 & 2010 The Manors at West Haven; 2008 Sunridge Woods; 2012 Boston and New York 2013 Sandy Ridge 2014 Colorado/Utah/Vegas 2015 Manors North at West Haven 2016 LV/SF/YOSEMITE 2017 Canada 2017 Indian Ridge Oaks
Tiggernut is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 09, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post

We loved San Diego..been back a lot, last time 2006
You will have seen the harbour in Soarin'

The Zoo and Sea World was beautiful

Seaport village was lovely, we visited the Coronado hotel (The Grand Flo is based on it) where they filmed Some like it hot.

We took a trip up into the mountains to an old town and they even had an old soda fountain. I cannot remember the name but it is famous for apple pie.

San Diego is Well worth a vist

if you like visit the more authentic not touristy Mexico by "tram"
and go to TJ.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 09, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazzy
Imagineer

Mazzy's Reviews
Originally Posted by Tiggernut View Post
I was going to suggest Highway 1, Hearst Castle, San Luis Obispo and Solvang but then I read you were non-drivers so I'm not sure how you'd do these places without transport...
To be honest I think our DS might find that a bit boring anyway, lol, but thanks for the idea.

PREVIOUS TRIPS:
WALT DISNEY WORLD:
Dolphin:
Port Orleans Riverside
NOV 2000,
AUG 2007, JULY 2010
Old 8 May 09, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazzy
Imagineer

Mazzy's Reviews
Originally Posted by Minnie28 View Post
We loved San Diego..been back a lot, last time 2006
You will have seen the harbour in Soarin'

The Zoo and Sea World was beautiful

Seaport village was lovely, we visited the Coronado hotel (The Grand Flo is based on it) where they filmed Some like it hot.

We took a trip up into the mountains to an old town and they even had an old soda fountain. I cannot remember the name but it is famous for apple pie.

San Diego is Well worth a vist

if you like visit the more authentic not touristy Mexico by "tram"
and go to TJ.
Ooooh, I didn't realise that was San Diego in Soarin', lol, you learn something every day! DD and I are big animal lovers, how long do you need to spend at the zoo, is it a full day? If we stayed in San Diego itself for a few days I wonder if we could get round by public transport? It's really starting to appeal to me now!

PREVIOUS TRIPS:
WALT DISNEY WORLD:
Dolphin:
Port Orleans Riverside
NOV 2000,
AUG 2007, JULY 2010
Old 8 May 09, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Hal
Gloria sic transit mundi.

Hal's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 17
Originally Posted by Mazzy View Post
... and our main flights will be to/from LA.
Just a reminder to consider "open jaw" flights too - flying to LAX and back from SFO, or vice versa, for example - to save doubling back on yourselves.

Owner at Marriott Marbella Beach, Cypress Harbour, & Harbour Lake; and DVC OKW & BLT.

There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle.
Hal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 09, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mazzy View Post
Ooooh, I didn't realise that was San Diego in Soarin', lol, you learn something every day! DD and I are big animal lovers, how long do you need to spend at the zoo, is it a full day? If we stayed in San Diego itself for a few days I wonder if we could get round by public transport? It's really starting to appeal to me now!
Yes, you can get around ok. We stayed at Embassy suites Downtown- just across the road from Seaport village and walking distance to the naval museum, ferry landing and Hortons Plaza mall . You can get a bus to Balboa park and the zoo- but we found the taxi rank outside the hotel too much of a temptation and ended up getting a cab there and back ! The hop on hop off bus is also a good way to see the sites. We only used it for one day, but you can get a 2 day ticket. We got off at Coronado Hotel/beach, Balboa park, Old Town and Hortons Plaza, if you had a 2 day ticket you'd have enough time to see those properly, we had 1 1/2 - 2hrs at each place.
Oh and we spent a whole day at the zoo, got there for opening and left about 1/2 hour before closing, we really enjoyed it.
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 09, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
dave and lesley
Imagineer

dave and lesley's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
we've been to san diego, we thought it was lovely, really good, fab beaches, really worth a visit. they even had a dog beach. the zoo's brilliant, we spent a full day there. the old town is interesting .

by the way, why do you new avators always seem to feature food
2010 SSR HRH, 11 SSR Cocoa beach, 12 SSR HRH,
2014 SSR GFV Wedding, 15 LBV, 17 Miami Beach
dave and lesley is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread