Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Jun 19, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Extremely interesting 2 days for us!
We visited Dundee and Aberdeen, both open days specifically for Medicine.

Dundee was very well organised indeed and although both were friendly and informative, Dundee was the favourite so far, particularly due to the 'hands on' approach from the first year onwards rather than pre-clinical years to start with.
We still have to see Edinburgh and Glasgow and possibly St Andrews too so will be good to compare

Both of these medical schools, in fact all Scottish medical schools do well in whole of UK league tables, all generally always in the top third of the tables so both these were certainly to be considered.

Son still not 100% sure of Medicine as still very keen on Physics too. (however he has been doing a part time course at college in his spare time for 2 years which is just finishing, 'Working on the health Sector' which covered all aspects of working in clinical and non-clinical roles so has been considering this path for a while), but we are all 3 of us learning so much and helping him decide. He's so torn! He likes both equally!

Interesting times for all our Class of 2020 that's for sure!
Good luck to all!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Back from University of Liverpool yesterday. Both me and a Beth loved it there. We went out to Leahurst on the 9:30 coach and the place just blew us away - the facilities are amazing, especially the equine practice. Thought the city vet suite was also very good and like the accommodation and nearby student union etc. Even though the uni is in the city, it was like a self contained village with coffee shops, book stores, banks etc. Really liked the cafe and couple of student bars too (although got lost looking for the roof terrace). Everything seemed really organised and all the lecturers were really enthusiastic and helpful.

Number one choice so far - AAA needed and admissions guy said hardly every any leverage so something high to aim for.
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

DD and DH went to Bath yesterday - nice small uni feel, loved it - except the hills.
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
DD and DH went to Bath yesterday - nice small uni feel, loved it - except the hills.
Bath is beautiful.

But expensive. I strongly recommend when gathering information on university towns that you don't just consider halls costs. Look at later year housing costs too. Lots of unis have housing offices which may be able to provide details on open days, or there are plenty of student to let websites which will give you the info you need. Or ask about costs and availability and support / process etc at the accommodation stand.

Some unis subsidise halls and second year costs are significantly higher. My dd's year 2 costs were 25% higher than halls 765 a month. Crippling on student loan. My DS 30% less 332. Be sure to check it out and work out who and how it's going to be paid.

Also worth noting in the late Dec early Jan if year one the year 2 house hunt will start. Set aside enough to pay out (in one go) first month's rent as a holder, a deposit - mine have been 400 and an extra months rent respectively, and an admin fee of around 1-200. You will also need to sign a guarantors form to underwrite the full cost of the accomodation for a year should your child default.

Not scaring you off, but just saying be aware. The year 2 money kicks in earlier than you might think usually June/July year 1.

Edited at 10:09 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Bath is beautiful.

But expensive. I strongly recommend when gathering information on university towns that you don't just consider halls costs. Look at later year housing costs too. Lots of unis have housing offices which may be able to provide details on open days, or there are plenty of student to let websites which will give you the info you need.

Some unis subsidise halls and second year costs are significantly higher. My dd's year 2 costs were 25% higher than halls. Crippling. My DS 30% less. Check it out.
yes - there were sharp intakes of breath on prices when talking to later year students, but the courses she was looking at were really very good and had exactly what she wants, so won't limit her (whilst we have the money to help).

Thanks for the heads up on dates

Edited at 10:08 AM.
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Sorry. I didn't mean to target my long ramble at you. It just popped into my head when I read Bath!

Bath was one of the ones we looked at with my DD. It was lovely but expensive.

As you say, it's a big combination of factors, the uni, the course, the people, the town etc. It all has to feel right.

I just think unis can be a bit sneaky about year 2 costs and don't share that info as obviously as they could.

In the end my DD chose somewhere more expensive than Bath!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
Back from University of Liverpool yesterday. Both me and a Beth loved it there. We went out to Leahurst on the 9:30 coach and the place just blew us away - the facilities are amazing, especially the equine practice. Thought the city vet suite was also very good and like the accommodation and nearby student union etc. Even though the uni is in the city, it was like a self contained village with coffee shops, book stores, banks etc. Really liked the cafe and couple of student bars too (although got lost looking for the roof terrace). Everything seemed really organised and all the lecturers were really enthusiastic and helpful.

Number one choice so far - AAA needed and admissions guy said hardly every any leverage so something high to aim for.
So glad you loved it. We did too last year. Dd has a place for September. Just need those 3 A’s now!
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
We were there yesterday too.
My lad liked the accommodation, but that’s going to be a minimum of £7,000 but I expect all universities will be the same.
Interesting to see no car parking if you live on campus, or rent in two close post codes.

Apart from that, he liked Bath, seems to have a good Mechanical Engineering syllabus, even if it targets more to Aviation, bye to there closeness to aviation sites.

Off to Nottingham next week...
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
We were there yesterday too.
My lad liked the accommodation, but that’s going to be a minimum of £7,000 but I expect all universities will be the same.
Interesting to see no car parking if you live on campus, or rent in two close post codes.

Apart from that, he liked Bath, seems to have a good Mechanical Engineering syllabus, even if it targets more to Aviation, bye to there closeness to aviation sites.

Off to Nottingham next week...
We have a rest weekend - Dd wants to spend some time with friends, then Cardiff on the Friday after. Life gets too busy sometimes!
Old 23 Jun 19, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

We gave three more to do, Nottingham next Saturday, then Sheffield tge week after.
Finally Loughborough in September.
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List