Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 6 May 19, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Valentine
Imagineer

Mrs Valentine's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 21
We loved Uber. Went from LBV to Royal Pacific for about $15,. About $17 for the outlets at the end of IDrive. So easy and so much better than buses etc. Although, the trolley up IDrive is quite fun.

DisneyJulie
Mrs Valentine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 19, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Tweety1 has covered it I think. I’ll add that you get the make/model/licence plate of the car and the drivers name and your journey is tracked by GPS, you can follow along yourself on the app or see the route the driver took afterwards so I think it’s as safe as any shuttle/taxi and you’re less likely to be cheated because there’s documentation of the exact route. Of course by 2022 I’m sure the apps will be even more sophisticated, there may be new players in the market and there’s no guarantee that any hotel that has shuttle service now will have it in 3 years because of how quick the market is changing.

Like Tweety1 we saved so much by using Lyft this year and would only rent a car if we were doing a road trip or staying at a villa. We never waited more than 5 minutes for a car to arrive so we felt just as ‘free’ as we did with a car.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 19, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
Tweety1 has covered it I think. I’ll add that you get the make/model/licence plate of the car and the drivers name and your journey is tracked by GPS, you can follow along yourself on the app or see the route the driver took afterwards so I think it’s as safe as any shuttle/taxi and you’re less likely to be cheated because there’s documentation of the exact route. Of course by 2022 I’m sure the apps will be even more sophisticated, there may be new players in the market and there’s no guarantee that any hotel that has shuttle service now will have it in 3 years because of how quick the market is changing.

Like Tweety1 we saved so much by using Lyft this year and would only rent a car if we were doing a road trip or staying at a villa. We never waited more than 5 minutes for a car to arrive so we felt just as ‘free’ as we did with a car.
Yes tracking was fun the kids loved it plus DH liked all the different cars we went in
I have even been looking at villas in the Windsor hill area as it’s not too far from Disney and I think that will be more cost effective than hiring a car by the time you take into account the full costs plus parking charges. Also wanted to add that these prices only only cars that take 4 if you need an XL which we normally would as we are a family of 5 (DD couldn’t come with us this time) then you need to add around $8 on the prices so may then not be as cost effective. In saying that we are out in Aug as a family of 5 and using Lyft.
Also this time noticed a lot of hotels with these ‘resort fees’ and ‘parking charges’ so even more reason to Uber!
Old 7 May 19, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
LOUISEACAT
Proud to wear my Ears

Disney use the Lyft app for their Minnie Vans.
LOUISEACAT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 19, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

My parents had the same concerns RE: Uber, so we just took taxi's (and the occasional private hire black escalade if we were feeling swanky for another $10) from Universal to Disney the fee with a standard taxi was about $35-40 with tip if I recall. Obviously you'd save with Uber but this way no phones needed (left ours at home) and simple cash exchanges.

No way would I be paying $20 EACH for a shared shuttle.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Regarding offsite suite hotels with shuttles, we stayed at both the Embassy Suites and Homewood Suites on I-Drive near Pointe Orlando. These both had free shuttles to Disney (Epcot then use Disney buses), Universal and Seaworld. Both hotels were very good and the shuttles worked well. However, they did have limited times - I think only 3 buses in the morning and 3 return buses in the evening.

This was a few years ago though and I don't know whether they still do shuttles.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

I too am a little wary of uber and lyft. Add to that my ancient phone with not enough space to download the app and the cost of a new sophisticated one probably cancelling out any savings we'd make on uber/lyft, then its a nonrunner for us unless i can book via wifi on an ipod or my trusted chromebook!

Uber is only permitted in ireland if it charges the same price as a taxi, so not sure I can even authenticate my registration before going to US next year!

The lat time we stayed in Buena Vista Palace (3/4 years ago, the )disney springs hotels seem to have the most frequent services.Shuttles are generally every 30mins and route A and Route B cover 3 hotels each and you can always walk to disney springs or get the lynx bus or a taxi or lyft or uber and from there can get to a resort and then to the parks OR after 4pm may be able to get to the PARKS direct from Disney Springs.

Other option is the Clarion Hotel near hotel plaza boulevard. its cheap, about 1or 2 miles from Disney Springs, near food outlets and a grocery shop and some dibbers have been going there for years!
A bus, taxi,uber,lyft from there would be very cheap plus they also have their own shuttles, so a combination of both?

Hope you get sorted!

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM

Edited at 05:07 PM.
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

Clarion Inn, Lake Buena Vista, A Rosen Inn hotel.

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 03:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Mad Hatters
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Another vote here for homewood suites or embassy suites. Both on I drive. Homewood you can see in my trip report I have just finished putting up if you want to.

Both great hotels and whilst the shuttles offer limited time slots they are included for free with your stay. You could always use them one way and then get a taxi back if that suits you better and makes things cheaper than taxis both ways.
Mad Hatters is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List