Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Oct 19, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
geniefan
Excited about Disney

What can my doctor give me for flight nerves?

I fly in 7 weeks today and my doctors is typical moan nonsense and the current waiting time for a routine appt is 3 weeks!

But when I finally get an appointment, I'm hoping to explain to the GP that I am petrified of flying and especially this time as I am flying alone its even worse.

Ive done everything I can to minimise the worry... flying PE (more space), taking rescue remedy, calms, etc but nothing works. I have never been to the doctor about this before so wanted to know peoples stories about if they have been, were you prescribed something?

Id hate for my silly nerves to ruin my disney excitement on the flight. I want to enjoy myself, not be sweating and constantly looking round me being nervous.
Old 1 Oct 19, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
THOscar
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by geniefan View Post
I fly in 7 weeks today and my doctors is typical moan nonsense and the current waiting time for a routine appt is 3 weeks!

But when I finally get an appointment, I'm hoping to explain to the GP that I am petrified of flying and especially this time as I am flying alone its even worse.

Ive done everything I can to minimise the worry... flying PE (more space), taking rescue remedy, calms, etc but nothing works. I have never been to the doctor about this before so wanted to know peoples stories about if they have been, were you prescribed something?

Id hate for my silly nerves to ruin my disney excitement on the flight. I want to enjoy myself, not be sweating and constantly looking round me being nervous.
I've seen a lot of people on here recently say doctors have stopped prescribing on the NHS for things like flight anxiety. I'm on mobile so not going to dig out threads just now but I'm pretty sure some folk have more luck going to a private GP for a paid prescription.
THOscar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 19, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
geniefan
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by THOscar View Post
I've seen a lot of people on here recently say doctors have stopped prescribing on the NHS for things like flight anxiety. I'm on mobile so not going to dig out threads just now but I'm pretty sure some folk have more luck going to a private GP for a paid prescription.
Aah okay, thank you. I wouldn't mind paying to see someone private if it helped me a bit, that wouldn't be an issue.. If you can find out anything more like what sort of medication people were given that would help
Old 1 Oct 19, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
THOscar
Apprentice Imagineer

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...t=prescription

Big thread on the topic there.
THOscar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 19, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
15isto2
Imagineer

I would suggest a fear of flying course might be of benefit
15isto2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 19, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Mobile

Most private hospitals have a private GP service; they will probably prescribe you diazepam if your local GP won't.
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 19, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Have you tried a paper bag? I hate flying. Only thing in my life I’ve ever had real panic attacks about. I still do it but have found managing my breathing is the game changer. If I start to get in a state I blow in and out of a paper bag and concentrate on that. Probably looks stupid but works for me. I also break the flight up into 30 minutes chunks in my head and deal with 30 minutes at a time. Read for 30 mins. Pod case for 30 mins. TV episode 30 mins etc. I wouldn’t take medication if on my own in case I needed to have my wits about me. Good luck.
Old 1 Oct 19, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
jlnewport
Looking for my Ears

I have previously been to my GP about flying, I was prescribed a low dose Diazepam to take before the flight. I hope you find something that works for you.
jlnewport is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 19, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Stepaway
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Went to the GP on Monday. She was lovely. Said Diazepam takes longer to work but lasts longer and Lorazepam works quickly but fades much quicker. As my issues are take off and turbulence we agreed Lorazepam was the way to go.

Have taken Diazepam before and it gave me a gentle feeling like being drunk. Not how I’d like to spend my flight all spaces out but it took the edge off and I managed it.
Stepaway is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
geniefan
Excited about Disney

Thank you all for the replies. I flew to MCO in march this year and the classic nerves were there, but I had family with me to kind of keep me together but in November I'm doing it alone.

Im not scared of flying itself, I am scared of feeling sick on the plane. I have anti sickness medication anyway and it works, but it doesnt stop the panic and the worry. I have booked the V Room at Gatwick to hopefully sit quietly on my own before the flight and be distracted on my phone etc without the carnage in the main terminal.

I have a doctor appt for next week and I'm hoping they are understanding. Id rather not be 'out of it' on the flight, (I dont drink alcohol on planes) but I just want the nerves to be calmer.

Thanks for all everyones comments and help x