Notices

View Poll Results: Do you have a landline.
No - never had one 15 3.77%
No - chose to give it up 56 14.07%
Yes - hardly ever used 263 66.08%
Yes - use it a fair bit 39 9.80%
Yes - use it all the time 25 6.28%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Aug 20, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Ours is included in the broadband package. Was glad of it 3 years ago - my neighbour almost killed themselves falling down some steps outside on New Year's Eve - mobile network was overwhelmed - not a great signal here anyhow. Nipped back and rang the ambulance on the home phone.

It brought home to us that the mobile network is not infallible and perhaps we should keep the home phone plugged in even if just as a back up.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Ours is included in the broadband package. Was glad of it 3 years ago - my neighbour almost killed themselves falling down some steps outside on New Year's Eve - mobile network was overwhelmed - not a great signal here anyhow. Nipped back and rang the ambulance on the home phone.

It brought home to us that the mobile network is not infallible and perhaps we should keep the home phone plugged in even if just as a back up.
I always thought emergency service calls took priority over a busy network / could use any networks signal to avoid problems like that. If not, that is worrying!
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by abiknox View Post
I always thought emergency service calls took priority over a busy network / could use any networks signal to avoid problems like that. If not, that is worrying!
Certainly did not work that way for us.

It was very worrying indeed and gave us one of those OMG moments - "what do we do?" - "I'll use your home phone.." - "I haven't got one" - luckily we did and were 2 doors away.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

We still have ours, but never ever use it. We were with Sky and needed it for the broadband, but we have recently moved to Virgin and it came with the package anyway. On a side note, we were with BT and were paying circ. 25 a month for the landline etc. When we cancelled to transfer to Virgin, I got a letter in the post saying they were giving me £117 back, completely clueless how and why they had this amount in credit given we haven't made calls for about 5 years.

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Yes we have a landline. If it was my choice I would have no phones plugged in, but I live with my mil who uses the landline often. She’s also a nurse and is often on-call and so she like having the landline and mobile so the hospital can get through to her if she’s needed.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I’m moving to Fibre next week and they’ve assured me I don’t need a BT landline any more - I’d love to know if that is true!
You don’t actually have to have a phone plugged it.

Still need to pay line rental though
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Thank you all. Very helpful.

Am currently with sky fibre will see if we need to keep it for the broadband.

I had it in my mind that it also made a difference to things like credit scoring and banks etc ? Or is this just a sign of my age. It used to matter but no longer ?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

I am guessing that you are not at an age of needing to build a credit score and have plenty of other utility and council bills that will more than suffice.

If your Sky broadband is still a fibre to cabinet and not full fibre to house you will still need a landline I believe.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
I am guessing that you are not at an age of needing to build a credit score and have plenty of other utility and council bills that will more than suffice.

If your Sky broadband is still a fibre to cabinet and not full fibre to house you will still need a landline I believe.
Even full fibre to the house you still pay for the line rental

Best you can do with all/any of the companies is go to minimum or pay as go calls.

You have to pay for a landline to get broadband through fftp, fttc and copper
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
The good thing about a landline is in a power cut you can still make calls all the time, a mobile will only hold a charge for a certain time.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List