Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 15 Apr 20, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 25
Talking We're all going on a Poly-holiday - October 2019: Day 13: Barry's the best!

Day 13: Barry’s the best!
Friday 25 October 2019

Index

Tragical express notice, outlet shopping, back to Epcot for some more snacks dodging the rain, getting dolled up for the most incredible evening meal at Yachtsman Steakhouse and an evening by the pool

We woke this morning to the tragical express notice hanging on our hotel room door handle - noooo! This little sign meant it was our last full day at WDW but there was no time to be sad. There were too many fun things to do and too much delicious food to be eaten!

A simple breakfast was all that was required today so we just paid OOP for some slices of bread at Capt. Cooks, which were about 90c for 2 slices. (Didn’t want to waste a snack credit on it) we used the toasters and the free peanut butter and bam - cheap breakfast!

We had left the last day pretty open so we could be a bit spontaneous.

One thing we hadn’t done much of so far this holiday was shopping. We figured we had enough time to squeeze a short trip to the Vineland Outlets just to go to the Disney Outlet store. We booked a Lyft and off we went.

Since the last time we went there seems to have been a huge surge in popularity of these stores, mainly because vloggers have been posting videos of what’s new and how much of a saving you can make, I think.

So much so in fact that they’ve had implement a maximum capacity policy and introduce queuing stanchions - seriously? Feeling a bit sceptical about what I had heard about this we decided to brave it anyway. We would be getting there for store opening anyway.

As we arrived people had already started queueing, I didn’t want to make it obvious I was taking a photo but this queue wrapped round the building all the way round to the food court.

We joined the queue and when it opened they let about 5-6 families in at once. It didn’t take too long before we were allowed in

We had a really successful trip and bought lots of souvenirs which I will show you in the final instalment of the TR!

We got a Lyft back to the resort to drop off our shopping and then walked to the TTC to go to Epcot one last time for more tasty treats for lunch. We had snack credits to use and only one place we wanted to use them!

After heading through the entrance we walked all the way round to World Showcase and went straight to Earth Eats to grab another vegan impossible slider as we had enjoyed it so much last time.

The IMPOSSIBLE™ Burger Slider with Wasabi Cream and spicy Asian Slaw on a Sesame Seed Bun

As a reminder our scores from the previous time we visited were
Izzy 4/10 (she just didn't like the horseradish flavour)
Immy 9/10
Kate 9/10
Andy 9/10
Average 7.8/10

We also decided to try the IMPOSSIBLE™ Cottage Pie: IMPOSSIBLE™ Ground Meat with Carrots, Mushrooms, and Peas topped with Mashed Cauliflower, White Beans, and Vegan Mozzarella

I didn’t think the cottage pie was as good as the slider but the girls did and it scored:

Izzy 10/10
Immy 9/10
Kate 7/10
Andy 8/10
Average 8.5/10

I really fancied some poutine so we walked to the Refreshment Port to order one. The heavens opened as we were queuing and we had to dash to find some shelter to eat it! The closest place we could find was the DVC sales gazebo, along with dozens of others. It was very cosy. Andy and the girls weren’t too impressed with my choice of snack and Izzy just picked at the chips that had escaped the gravy, whilst Andy and Immy snubbed it altogether. It wasn’t a patch on the poutine at DS so I’d give it a 6/10.

The rain was pretty torrential by this point and I had somehow squeezed one of the ponchos we’d bought into the pocket of my denim shorts so I whipped this out and used it as a cover for me and the girls as we walked through world showcase to the next booth.

The rain got slightly lighter so we ran to the Brazil booth in search of our next snack.

We chose the Crispy Pork Belly with Black Beans and Tomato

We all loved this one

Izzy 8/10
Immy 8/10
Kate 9/10
Andy 9/10
Average 8.5/10

The rain got even heavier so we dived into a little F&W merchandise stand until it died down. The CMs in there had a radio call telling them to pack up the parasols and roll down the shutters on the windows.

Once he had done that we asked if we could see his pins whilst we were there. I loved this cork board!

After a short break in the rain we dashed to Japan for our next culinary delight - the teriyaki bun that we tried last time. It was blimmin lovely. We enjoyed it whilst we hid in the shelter of the doorway of Takumi-Tei

The rain had finally started to clear as we walked to the next booth - Spain.

We wanted to try the Charcuterie in a Cone and the wine flight

The girls weren’t huge fans of the charcuterie, I guess it is a little grown up.

Izzy 5/10
Immy 5/10
Kate 8/10
Andy 7/10
Average 6.25/10

The wine flight was good and went nicely with the charcuterie!

As we walked round to Germany we popped in to karamell kuche to buy some snack credit treats to take home - the boozy selection and some salted caramel ones… yummy!

We stopped at the Africa booth to try the Kenyan Coffee Barbecue Beef Tenderloin with Sweet Potato and Corn Mealie Pap and Kachumbari Slaw

None of us were very big fans of this one, it was a bit something and nothing.

Izzy 5/10
Immy 5/10
Kate 6/10
Andy 6/10
Average 5.5/10

The girls stayed and played on the drums for a while then we moved on to China for the girls to get a couple more twisty pets and to pose for a picture with the Buddha

That was that! We were all snacked out and just about ready to head home. We walked to Mouse Gear for a bit of shopping and noticed they had the Epcot Starbucks “been there” mug. I had picked up the Animal Kingdom and MK one earlier in the holiday and was pleased it was available considering Starbucks at Epcot was temporarily closed. I had never been a huge fan of the mugs but recently I really got a thing for them, they’re just so cute and they stack really nicely! It has made me a little sad that I never collected them before though I could’ve got a San Francisco one, DCL one DL one… gutted! ☹️

IG: _disneykate_
YouTube: DisneyKate

Edited at 07:41 AM.
bambikate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 20, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Before we left I expressed to Andy how sad I was that I never bought the Starbucks “Been there” Hollywood Studios mug when we were there and he volunteered to go to Hollywood Studios there and then to get it for me.

I said that was ridiculous to go all the way there for a mug but he insisted it wouldn’t be that much trouble and it would give Izzy and I space to be able to finish all the packing.

Immy was happy to go with Daddy if she could get a Starbucks so it was decided! Immy and Daddy got a bus to Hollywood Studios from the Epcot bus stop and Izzy and I got the monorail back to the TTC to go back and pack!

On the way home, Izzy and I read an article that they would be changing the fuel rods from free unlimited swapping to $3 a swap - I thought that was a bit cheeky and was disappointed that had chosen to do that as I loved the freedom it gave you and only paid the slightly more expensive initial price tag because the swaps were free.

Well, I’m pleased I wasn’t the only one to feel like that and after a tremendous backlash, I’m please to say fuel rod ended up reversing that decision. HOORAY!

Meanwhile… in Hollywood Studios, Andy and Immy had successfully bought a Frappucino for Immy, an iced latte for Andy and, most importantly, the Starbucks mug! Yaaaay!

Izzy and I stuck on Radio Disney and absolutely smashed the packing leaving out only what we needed that evening and the next day. I was really happy how fast we managed to get it all packed.

As a reward, we opened the Ganachary treats we bought the other day and Immy and Daddy arrived just in time to have some too.

Feeling very productive we all got ready and dressed up for our final evening meal in WDW - Yachtsman Steakhouse, one of our absolute favourite restaurants ever.

In the lobby

We got a Lyft Lux (because that was randomly and offer and in fact cheaper than a regular one) to Beach Club. I have to say we really liked the Lux ride, it felt very… well… luxurious I guess

Walking to Yachtsman Steakhouse!

We managed to find the dole whip dresses that they had liked from the Poly gift shop at the outlet store for less than half the price of the original - they we thrilled and so were we!

Family selfie

After checking in we waited in the lobby and took some selfies then were called to the restaurant and shown to our seat. We had great memories from this lovely restaurant. The food is always exceptional.

We were seated at our table and introduced to our server, Barry.

What an absolute legend! He was charismatic, funny, helpful and knowledge and he absolutely made our final night with his tremendous service.

We were delighted that Yachstmasn's signature bread offering was still the onion brioche and oven roasted garlic after all these years - if you haven’t tried these before I honestly believe these on their own are worth the trip to Yachtsman Absolutely gorgeous! So much so when Barry asked if he could get us any more… we said yes!

Now on to the main course, we perused the menu but just couldn’t decide which cut of meat to go for. Barry suggested one dish that might interest us - the 28-oz Prime Porterhouse for Two -
Signature Steak 21-Day Dry-Aged, Bone Marrow, Green Onion Brioche, Garlic Butter and a choice of two sides

This sounded just incredible and was on the dining plan so we went for it and chose the Loaded Hasselback Potatoes with bacon and sour cream as one side and the broccolini as the other.

Izzy chose the filet and Immy chose the kids New York Strip but the girls shared both of theirs.

The girl love their steak and have it medium rare, the same as us.

The food was insanely good. We couldn’t fault it. I wish we had more room to finish the hasselback potatoes but we wanted to leave room for dessert as we knew this would be gorgeous too.

Izzy and Immy of course, had to have the Mickey’s art palette. This had changed slightly since the last time we went and was now a cookie with a fondant picture with cocoa butter coloured paint and a brownie.

I had a coconut and pineapple cheesecake, which appears to have disappeared from the menu and Andy went for the Chocolate Lava Cake - Valrhona Chocolate, Coconut Ice Cream, Raspberry-Chambord Sauce, Gingersnap Crumbs.

All of the desserts were fantastic, in fact, our whole meal was and Barry made it really special.

We wanted to thank him for being so lovely so we gave him a cast compliment, a lovely tip and just told him face to face how brilliant he had been . He was very appreciative of the feedback and obliged when the girls asked for a photo with him.

We left feeling very happy and lucky to have had such an incredible holiday.

Our itinerary said for us to go to Epcot and watch Epcot Forever (as our tradition was always to watch Illuminations on our final night) but after we watched it last time none of us wanted to see it. We just decided that this trip we had taken a totally different tack and chilling at the resort for us was just pure bliss! So we decided to book a Lyft and leave on a high and do just that..

Via the arcade at the Beach Club using up all our credits of course…haha

We spent a couple of hours relaxing and watching the fireworks from our resort and just felt totally blissful and happy.

On the way back to our room we noticed an abandoned luggage cart in the hallway and let the girls have a little ride to our front door…

The perfect final day.

bambikate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 20, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

Wow, what a wonderful day. Your girls look like they are having a brilliant time and I love their dresses. Thank you so much for posting.
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 20, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

Love the girls dresses! Great you got them at the outlets even cheaper. Can’t believe that queue! Good to know it goes down quickly though.

What a perfect evening meal for your last day too. Your server sounds great, can make such a difference, particularly to a “nicer” restaurant xx
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 20, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
jools1302
Apprentice Imagineer

jools1302's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Enjoying this so much... we were there at roughly the same time as you and its bringing back fab memories thank you
Old 15 Apr 20, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Inky
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

An amazing last day, we loved the Yatchtsman as well, lovely service there
Inky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 20, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
fletchie148
Imagineer

What a great last day
You always seem to pack loads in
2000 - Disney All Star Movies 2000 - 2007 - Quality Inn International. 2005 - Quality Inn Suites 2008 - The Fountains 2009 - Orange Lake 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Vista Cay 2017. The Grove Resort & Spa 2018
Majorca - Tonga Towers 2019. Orange Lake 2020 - never happened. Orange Lake 2022. Orange Lake 2023
fletchie148 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 20, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A great last day

Joan
Old 26 Apr 20, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
dutchrose
Getting Excited

Great last day!
dutchrose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 20, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Originally Posted by Rabel View Post
Wow, what a wonderful day. Your girls look like they are having a brilliant time and I love their dresses. Thank you so much for posting.
Thank you - aww you're welcome xx

Originally Posted by sheluk View Post
Love the girls dresses! Great you got them at the outlets even cheaper. Can’t believe that queue! Good to know it goes down quickly though.

What a perfect evening meal for your last day too. Your server sounds great, can make such a difference, particularly to a “nicer” restaurant xx
Thank you - we were so happy to find them. Yes it makes a huge difference, doesn't it xx

Originally Posted by jools1302 View Post
Enjoying this so much... we were there at roughly the same time as you and its bringing back fab memories thank you
Ahh I'm so please thank you. You're so welcome x

Originally Posted by Inky View Post
An amazing last day, we loved the Yatchtsman as well, lovely service there
Thank you it's great isn't it x

Originally Posted by fletchie148 View Post
What a great last day
You always seem to pack loads in
Ahh thank you we like to make the most of it x

Originally Posted by mick View Post
A great last day

Joan
Thank you x

Originally Posted by dutchrose View Post
Great last day!
Ahh thank you x