Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 May 20, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
yogadeb
Imagineer

Leaving children home alone

My son is 10 , my hubby is now full on back at work in the construction industry and he works away a lot and I’m not working atm due to working in leisure centres and gyms so I’m at home all the time and doing the homeschooling etc .
I’m wondering if leaving my sensible 10 year old while I go out for a local 20 minute run alone or a dog walk is ok? What do others think ? .
He obviously knows not to answer the door or home phone etc .
I’ve checked online and there’s actually no law stating age kids can be left , as it states each child matures differently. (my son is mature for his age and would just be on his iPad and he has his own personal mobile phone with my number in if he should need me)

Just wondering what she you leave yours ? (no judgement please)

Edited at 08:00 AM.
yogadeb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 20, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

You are in a difficult place. I bet after all this time the two of you really do want to have some space from each other. As you say it really is down to the child - for me it would be the worry about what they would do if I didn't return in 20 mins. What about slightly shorter periods and work up to 20 mins.

Mine is a lot younger so I don't have any experience to draw upon.
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 20, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
yogadeb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Rabel View Post
You are in a difficult place. I bet after all this time the two of you really do want to have some space from each other. As you say it really is down to the child - for me it would be the worry about what they would do if I didn't return in 20 mins. What about slightly shorter periods and work up to 20 mins.

Mine is a lot younger so I don't have any experience to draw upon.
Thank you for your reply good idea . My son is a couch potato once on his iPad so I think he wouldn’t move from the sofa ... 😂

Quality inn international(now plaza) - 2004
All star movies -2005
Pop century -2007
Port Orleans riverside -2012
Royal Pacific and Beach club-2015
Royal Pacific and Animal kingdom lodge -2017
yogadeb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 20, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Grumps Mrs
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I can remember being left home alone aged 6 (nearly 7) - I was home from school with mumps and Mum had to collect my brother. The school was maybe a 10 minute walk away.
If your son is sensible then I'd have no problem leaving him for a short time, after all he'll be at high school next year and most of the high school pupils here go home to an empty house on a regular basis.
Grumps Mrs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 20, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

I left my son alone at that age while I nipped to the corner shop for milk or popped next door for a coffee, he was very sensible. I would say with mobiles phones and very little chance of anyone knocking on your door it will be fine. You will dog walk/jog very locally and can get back to him quickly if he needs you
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 20, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
yogadeb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Grumps Mrs View Post
I can remember being left home alone aged 6 (nearly 7) - I was home from school with mumps and Mum had to collect my brother. The school was maybe a 10 minute walk away.
If your son is sensible then I'd have no problem leaving him for a short time, after all he'll be at high school next year and most of the high school pupils here go home to an empty house on a regular basis.
Me too ! Back in the 80 ‘s my mum had 2 jobs and I’d often be on my own .
She would also expect us to wash up too ! 😂

All star movies -2005
Pop century -2007
Old 12 May 20, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Only you know your son YD. I know from your post your a sensible person & would never put your son at any risk. If I were you I'd explain the situation too him, which you know doubt have, & give him a chance of a bit of grown up independence! Start with a short time then build up. Go for it it would probably do you both good.
Old 12 May 20, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
yogadeb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
I left my son alone at that age while I nipped to the corner shop for milk or popped next door for a coffee, he was very sensible. I would say with mobiles phones and very little chance of anyone knocking on your door it will be fine. You will dog walk/jog very locally and can get back to him quickly if he needs you
Thanks , yes he’s super sensible he has a 23 year old sister so grew up really quick , he’s pretty savvy.

All star movies -2005
Pop century -2007
Old 12 May 20, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
yogadeb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
Only you know your son YD. I know from your post your a sensible person & would never put your son at any risk. If I were you I'd explain the situation too him, which you know doubt have, & give him a chance of a bit of grown up independence! Start with a short time then build up. Go for it it would probably do you both good.
Thank you

All star movies -2005
Pop century -2007
Old 12 May 20, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsbenny
Imagineer

Mobile

I would. My son is 10 and I would leave in him in the house if my other son at senior school was staying back doing extra studies for exams. Probably a 30 minute round trip.
mrsbenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List