Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 28 May 20, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
KRBarnard
Very Serious Dibber

KRBarnard's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Universal Studios Temp Check and Medical Conditions

Hey everyone. I had sent a query to Universal Studios to ask where I stand in regards to the temperature check. Below is the message I sent to them, followed by their reply;

Good evening, I have attended Universal Orlando for many years and had a mostly good experience with the support offered to me as a disabled person. My family and I are booked to return in October 2020 and February 2021. I am concerned about the temperature checks on arrival as I have Systemic Lupus Erythematosus and this is an illness that causes me to have a raised temperature most of the time. Is there a way that these issues will be considered, and would I need to bring a medical letter from my Rheumatologist? Thank you

Thank you for contacting Universal Orlando Resort. At this time we are not allowing anyone through security that is unable to pass the temperature check. Please continue to refer to our official website and social media channels for additional updates on safety measures as we make adjustments based on the recommendations provided by the CDC and local health officials to ensure the safety of our Guests and Team Members.

So I guess if this is still the case when/if we travel, I'll have to take paracetamol before we go, take an ice pack in the car, and drink an iced coffee and hope for the best! I was hoping that they would have some kind of medical advisor on hand for certain situations such as my own, and maybe that could happen going forward. For now, it will be a case of taking a chance and crossing some fingers.
Gateway Inn '97 Radisson Barcelo '99 Quality Inn Plaza '01 Quality Inn Int'l '03 La Quinta Inns&Suites '05 B.W. Movieland '07 Holiday Inn '08 & '09 Indian Creek '10 & '11 Vista Cay '12 Rosen Inn @ Pointe and Miami '13 Vista Cay '13,'14,'15,'16 CBR '16 Tampa, POR & SSR '17 OKW + Vista Cay '18 Windsor Hills '19 Vista Cay'22
KRBarnard is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

I think too many people will have their own "get out clause"... DD17 runs at 38.2.

But she may have that temperature today because of Covid, not just because she runs hot anyway... who knows? so I doubt they can take your word for it - because how would you know.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
KRBarnard
Very Serious Dibber

KRBarnard's Reviews
I understand this, and I know they have to draw the line somewhere. It's such a shame it's by using a temperature check as anyone with a viral fever (Covid or otherwise) could just take paracetamol. People who have Covid and show no symptoms will not have a fever, and some people with other symptoms of Covid, may not have a raised temperature. It's just a really unreliable way to screen people, especially in the Florida heat! This is why I asked if medical information from my Rheumatology team would be considered.

I did hope the rapid response testing would be used as a follow up if someone did have a higher temperature, but maybe that will come with time.
Gateway Inn '97 Radisson Barcelo '99 Quality Inn Plaza '01 Quality Inn Int'l '03 La Quinta Inns&Suites '05 B.W. Movieland '07 Holiday Inn '08 & '09 Indian Creek '10 & '11 Vista Cay '12 Rosen Inn @ Pointe and Miami '13 Vista Cay '13,'14,'15,'16 CBR '16 Tampa, POR & SSR '17 OKW + Vista Cay '18 Windsor Hills '19 Vista Cay'22
KRBarnard is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinythepanda
Getting Excited

Mobile

I hadn’t even thought about this. I also have lupus and my temperature can fluctuate, particularly in warmer climates
Tinythepanda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by KRBarnard View Post
I did hope the rapid response testing would be used as a follow up if someone did have a higher temperature, but maybe that will come with time.
Who would pay for this test (which when run as a private test is currently retailing at £69 a test). Would you be willing to pay £69 each day to enter the park - they certainly won't be paying it for you
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
KRBarnard
Very Serious Dibber

KRBarnard's Reviews
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Who would pay for this test (which when run as a private test is currently retailing at £69 a test). Would you be willing to pay £69 each day to enter the park - they certainly won't be paying it for you
There is currently a handheld device just being made available that does quick read tests, much like a blood sugar monitor. The hand held device will cost around $120. It works using test strips and each set cost just under $5. I would very happily pay that.
Old 28 May 20, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by KRBarnard View Post
There is currently a handheld device just being made available that does quick read tests, much like a blood sugar monitor. The hand held device will cost around $120. It works using test strips and each set cost just under $5. I would very happily pay that.
The only currently planned and approved hand-held quick read test still takes an hour to process to results, how could they manage that in terms of socially distancing the people waiting for results?

I'm sure it will improve but right now the only signed-off way to really check is a good old-fashioned swab test reviewed in a lab
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
KRBarnard
Very Serious Dibber

KRBarnard's Reviews
Originally Posted by Tinythepanda View Post
I hadn’t even thought about this. I also have lupus and my temperature can fluctuate, particularly in warmer climates
The last time I took part in a Lupus research study, my temperature was above normal every day even though it was during a period of "remission" for me. My temperature typically goes from 37.8 - 40.2, and higher if i have an infection. This is pretty standard for someone with Lupus, and I think other auto-immune diseases also suffer from this as we all over produce antibodies in a similar way.

Other auto-immune diseases that people will need to think about in this way are Rheumatoid Arthritis, Ulcerative Colitis, Hypothyroidism, Celiac Disease, Irritable Bowel Disease, Chron's Disease. Even if you have one of these illnesses but don't really think you have a temperature all the time, you would be surprised how high it can be without you noticing sometimes, and that's because it's how you feel all the time.
Old 28 May 20, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
KRBarnard
Very Serious Dibber

KRBarnard's Reviews
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
The only currently planned and approved hand-held quick read test still takes an hour to process to results, how could they manage that in terms of socially distancing the people waiting for results?

I'm sure it will improve but right now the only signed-off way to really check is a good old-fashioned swab test reviewed in a lab
A more expensive option is the $12 Biopanda COVID-19 Rapid Test Kit. Results in around 10 minutes. I would pay that too. In fact, lets be honest, I'm going all the way to Orlando, so anything up to about $35 would be ok with me if I can go in play!

My point really is that the temperature check will probably stop more people with auto-immune disease's (and other issues) than one's who have Covid as so many with Covid have the virus and don't have any symptoms, or are walking round with it for 4 or 5 days before developing any.

So yeah, I suppose my point is that overall I think the temperature check is just a bit rubbish. But then it will massively effect me so I am hugely biased and bound to think that

Also, I wanted to really share this for others to take it into consideration rather than get into ANOTHER debate about who is the most medically qualified on the Dibb and has all the answers...
Old 28 May 20, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
signtalker
Imagineer

Mobile

I can also see menopausal women struggling lol

Jules
signtalker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List