Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 May 20, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by miked1e View Post
Sounds great. We didn’t do Universal either. I know a bit different to Orlando but one of the sacrifices we made to ensure more time elsewhere or to get other things done... like WB Studio Tour which would recommend whilst in Burbank!
I can second this!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi again when you get some more firm plans I’m sure we would all love to help with ideas at each place .
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 16

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 78
Your revised plan sounds great. We absolutely loved Yosemite and would so love to visit again.
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

My first California trip was with the headline intention to drive the PCH from SFO to San Diego. We failed because at the time of the trip, a mudslide had completely blocked the PCH, south of Monterey.
For me, the essence of California is that road and therefore it was natural that I would want to stay at various locations along it, sampling things such as Cannery Row and more importantly, Great Whale watching.
Yosemite would have been marginal in any case, because we visited at Easter.To be honest, it wouldn’t have mattered either way.

So for us, it would be Monterey ahead of Yosemite.. mainly because we are coastal people in any case. On a 3 weeker , I would probably aim at both.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 12:37 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyYoda
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Oscar10 View Post
Thanks for everyone’s replies, guess it’s an overwhelming majority for Yosemite or doing both. After reading a few trip reports (and trying to keep driving times to 3/4 hours a day) we have revised our plan to look something like this:

San Francisco (4 nights)
Yosemite (3 nights)
Monterey (2 nights)
Pismo Beach area (1 night)
Santa Barbara (2 nights)
Burbank (1 nights)
San Diego (5 nights)
Anaheim (3 nights) 2 days at Disney finish off the holiday
Fly home LAX

Reduced Disney and L.A. by a night each and added on 2 nights at Santa Barbara. We will give Universal theme park in LA a miss having been to the Orlando parks a couple of times, which would save us the money to do an extra night on the PCH.
Another vote for Yosemite (it's may be my favourite place on earth so far!). If you are up for a long walk, consider the 'Panorama Walk'. Starts with bus to Glacier Point. It's a long walk (about 9-10 miles) with medium difficulty (bit of a rocky path in one section but this was in 2013). Our youngest who was 8 at the time managed it fine. My oldest who was 11, got cramp towards the end. Both of them remember the experience now as 'the big adventure'! Great way to experience Yosemite.

We stayed at 'Yosemite Lodge at the Falls'. Right in the middle of the park. Bit basic but can highly recommend for the convenience on a short stay.

Edited at 03:05 PM.
DisneyYoda is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 20, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeymouseears
Excited about Disney

I would do Yosemite and Monterey and skip San Diego
mickeymouseears is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 20, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mickeymouseears View Post
I would skip Monterey, Yosemite (certainly the whole LA area), SFO and Santa Monica in order to visit incredible San Diego.

For me, it is quite simply the finest US city that I have ever visited and the only one thus far that I would consider living in.

We are all different.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 20, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I would skip Monterey, Yosemite (certainly the whole LA area), SFO and Santa Monica in order to visit incredible San Diego.

For me, it is quite simply the finest US city that I have ever visited and the only one thus far that I would consider living in.

We are all different.
Just a little OTT, San Diego is good, but don’t knock some other great places

Edited at 04:21 PM.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 20, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickeymouseears View Post
I agree with this. I did like San Diego though especially the zoo. I enjoyed Monterey more but that might be due to where we stayed in both areas.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 20, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
fiona88
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Oscar10 View Post
Hi, we are in the planning stages for a California trip next August.

Fly into San Francisco (4 nights)
Yosemite (3 nights) or Monterey/PCH (3 nights)
LA (2 nights)
Anaheim (4 nights)
San Diego (5 nights)
Fly home LAX

We are a family of 2 adults, 3 children (17, 11 and 10). My question is if you had the choice would you visit Yosemite or Monterey and drive down the PCH to LA.

If Yosemite would you stay in the park or outside the park in nicer accommodation and drive in ?

Is there any smaller walking trails for the kids ?

Do you drive or get the shuttle buses to the main tourist spots ?

Any info would be a great help

Thanks
Good question, both offer very different experiences, Monterey you've got the aquarium and whale watching, the 17mile drive coastal views and beaches then the PCH with stop offs at viewpoints, coastal towns, seals to watch.

Yosemite is a totally different landscape, amazing views, hikes and some visitor centre type locations but it's mainly outdoors.

For Yosemite:
I'd stay inside the park, we did both and it was so much easier getting up without needing to drive (approx an hour from most places, maybe 30min if you can get El Portal) parking can be difficult, however it isn't impossible and as long as you're in as early as possible you should be ok.

The downside to staying inside the park is cost or facilities, we stayed at housekeeping camp which was a campsite with permanent tent structures, shared facilities, a campfire to cook on etc at around $110 per night, Curry village is around $150, then the hotels are £300+ compared to chain inns outside the park it's very expensive.

For yosemite there are a few smaller walking trails, the mist trail goes up steps to Vernal falls waterfall, the mirror lake trail is also quite short. Then you've got a few from car parks to viewpoints to waterfalls at about a mile each way or so.

Most of the time you want to use the shuttle busses as if you move your car there's no guarantee of parking at your next destination

Largely it's going to be a personal decision, it's doesn't matter how amazing we think Yosemite is if you and your kids hate walking, if they love the beach and aquariums then Monterey/PCH would be the place to go (or vice/versa)

Edited at 03:41 PM.
fiona88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List