Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Apr 20, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Mobile Pipe dream plan for west coast trip

So,
I am thinking of west coast trip and I have very little knowledge to draw on. I have been reading this part of the Dibb for only the last few days.
Some background. We are a family of 5 with kids (currently almost 3, 5 and a half and 18. Boyfriend of the eldest will be part of the plan at this point too.
California is firmly on the Bucket list for the eldest and the Wife. DW has become a bit Disney mad in the last couple of years along with the youngest two.

Like many other dibbers we are both working through this current nightmare pandemic and working long hours at times whilst trying to keep the kiddies happy and healthy.

We have an amazing 26 night tripped planned to Florida on 1st July. This is obviously on a knife edge at the moment.

So, as I regularly do, I have drifted off into my holiday planning dream world 🤣

So depending on what happens with our 2020 trip I am looking at west coast in Aug 21 or the following year (as an add on to a Florida trip &#128512

Looking for any advice and tips on where to start... itinerary ideas, tips etc. We are looking at 10-14 days in California I think. Is this going to be enough? We don’t expect to get close to seeing or doing everything. Would probably finish up with 4 days at Disney land and would like 1 day at universal. Also I have seen mention of whale watching which is a bucket list item for the wife but I don’t even know if that is an option in August.
So where else do we go? Driving is of no concern to us but will have to be sensible as to not bore the youngest two. Any suggested itineraries/ideas gratefully received. Budget not overly restrictive at this stage.

Obviously I will be looking up trip reports for the 1st time too.

Sorry for the waffle 😂
Paul
August 2021 - Anthem of the seas UK mini cruise Trip report *completed*
Vegas/LA Aug 22 - Trip Report In Progress
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 20, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi we posted to mobys mum this morning, have a look it’s probably similar we would suggest. Whale watching is all year round. We went with sanctuary cruises from moss landing on 2 occasions, they have a marine biologist on board which is great. Moss landing is 15/20 mins north of Monterey. There are also other companies go from Monterey. Any questions just ask and we’ll try and help.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 20, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi we posted to mobys mum this morning, have a look it’s probably similar we would suggest. Whale watching is all year round. We went with sanctuary cruises from moss landing on 2 occasions, they have a marine biologist on board which is great. Moss landing is 15/20 mins north of Monterey. There are also other companies go from Monterey. Any questions just ask and we’ll try and help.
Thank you very much. I’ve had a good look and it doesn’t look like sanctuary cruises allow kids of the ages of ours. There is one company that does.
Now thinking of concentrating our two weeks on Vegas, Anaheim and Beverly/Hollywood hills area to cut down the travelling time that the likes of SF, yosemite and Monterey would require. Lots of studying to do 😂
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 20, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
pinktraceb
slightly serious Dibber

pinktraceb's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 12
Have you considered San Diego as well? That gets a lot of love on this forum - it looks amazing!

Our plan in August (although I'm not sure it's going to happen) is:

4 night LA
3 nights Big Bear Mountain Resort
4 nights San Deigo
3 nights Anaheim

Flying in and out of LAX.

We did consider flying in to San Fran and making our way down, but didn't want to do too much driving so will leave that for another trip!

Enjoy your planning!
The Bacon's Go Back May 2015
Ramada Gateway & OKW 2017
pinktraceb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 20, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by pinktraceb View Post
Have you considered San Diego as well? That gets a lot of love on this forum - it looks amazing!

Our plan in August (although I'm not sure it's going to happen) is:

4 night LA
3 nights Big Bear Mountain Resort
4 nights San Deigo
3 nights Anaheim

Flying in and out of LAX.

We did consider flying in to San Fran and making our way down, but didn't want to do too much driving so will leave that for another trip!

Enjoy your planning!
Thank you. I’ve never really considered the west coast before so I am learning rapidly at the moment 😂 I haven’t quite given up on our July 2020 Florida trip (I probably should have &#128580.

I’m not willing to deprive the family of this much awaited Florida trip so my plan for next year would be a big one..., currently thinking 15 nights Florida (7 on site WDW and 8 in a villa), then fly to las Vegas for 4nts and think I have picked the hotel if I can get the right price, 4 nights in a small villa near Disneyland followed by a house nearer to the other la sights (pricey though)

Would love to see San Diego but don’t think it will be a goer for this trip. Wasn’t even considering Vegas with the kids but not ruling it out having read opinions of a few people that have been as families.
However, there is lots of time for my plans to change and I will be thinking carefully how I will book to protect my money better in this grim new world.
Old 20 Apr 20, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Inky
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Bambikate did a good trip report
Inky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 20, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Inky View Post
Bambikate did a good trip report
Thank you. I will have a read at my first opportunity
Old 20 Apr 20, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi with the big difference in age it’s a bit more difficult. With Vegas with very young kids not sure it’s the best place as well as being very hot. As others have said San Diego would offer a good variety,beech,fantastic zoo, wildlife park. Would tend to say to you that 4/5 days LA area. Be aware it’s 100 miles across and at times is a traffic nightmare.
Hadn’t realised kids ages when suggesting whale watching , but you could split for this if you needed, in Monterey they have a fantastic aquarium which the younger ones would enjoy. Appreciate with the younger ones car time is awkward.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 20, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Mobile

Enjoy... West Coast planning was an amazing year of my life followed by the holiday of a lifetime!

Key thing is going to be driving with the little ones... we did 16 nights and crammed a lot in which meant driving 3-4 hours every other day (ish). Unless they are of course happy with travelling and can keep them occupied.

I would highly recommend adding Yosemite to the plan. Amazing place...

We stayed 4 nights in Disneyland hotel at the end... again highly recommend.

I would suggest making a list of must dos and things to do if time then getting a suggested plan from this.

Also look at the trip reports on here for some good ideas if new to it all.

Mine is on here ‘suitcase and a dream.’ This was 2 adults (big kids) only...

Happy to help if any questions. Feel free to message me.
Old 20 Apr 20, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by miked1e View Post
Enjoy... West Coast planning was an amazing year of my life followed by the holiday of a lifetime!

Key thing is going to be driving with the little ones... we did 16 nights and crammed a lot in which meant driving 3-4 hours every other day (ish). Unless they are of course happy with travelling and can keep them occupied.

I would highly recommend adding Yosemite to the plan. Amazing place...

We stayed 4 nights in Disneyland hotel at the end... again highly recommend.

I would suggest making a list of must dos and things to do if time then getting a suggested plan from this.

Also look at the trip reports on here for some good ideas if new to it all.

Mine is on here ‘suitcase and a dream.’ This was 2 adults (big kids) only...

Happy to help if any questions. Feel free to message me.
Thank you very much for that. I initially was thinking SF, Yosemite, Monterey as well as Disney universal etc. It was only when I started to get to grips with the distances and driving times I realised it would be too much for the kids. This is why I kind of think 4-5 days in each area would be a minimum and try and keep the driving down to 4-5 hours each time. (Thinking early starts with the kids asleep and giving them breakfast half way &#128514