Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 14 Apr 20, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 25
cyclops We're all going on a Poly-holiday - October 2019: Day 11: Flumes, booze and incredible views

Day 11: Flumes, booze and incredible views
Wednesday 23 October 2019

Index

Typhoon Lagoon, Disney Springs, Blaze Pizza, Dinner at California Grill, Happily ever After from the rooftop and a sneaky final trip to the Contemporary Arcade

Today, we finally got to go to Typhoon Lagoon after postponing it earlier in the holiday.

To start with, we had breakfast from Capt. Cook’s in our room. Andy mobile ordered and picked it up with Izzy, whilst Immy and I got the swimming gear ready.

We went for a Bounty Breakfast Platter - Scrambled Eggs and French Toast served with Bacon, Sausage, Breakfast Potatoes, and a Biscuit

And a Morning Flatbread - House-made Sausage Gravy topped with Scrambled Eggs, Bacon, and Sausage covered in Mozzarella and Parmesan finished with Chives.

This was enough for the 4 of us and we all got changed into our swimwear before FaceTiming Grandma and Grandad.

Selfie with the GoPro before we go!

To get the TL bus you had to get bus to DS and then another one to TL, which honestly sounded like such a hassle I could envisage it taking about an hour and we just wanted to get there so we just ordered a Lyft, which got us there in about 15 minutes and cost $12.99 including tip.

We scanned our bands and went into the park.

We were planning on renting a locker so we walked towards the locker rental area. With a bit of clever stacking we managed to fit all of our stuff into a regular locker, which was $10 but included a $5 refundable fee.

We had brought towels from our resort and took our outer clothes off as we already had our swimwear underneath.

We applied our suncream, got the GoPro out and off we went!

Hidden Mickey

It was a really lovely hot day but the park wasn’t very busy at all, which was fab.

We went on pretty much every ride but didn’t capture photos and videos of everything - the wait times were really short so we managed a couple of them multiple times in a row including Miss Adventure Falls (our fave), Gangplank Falls and Crush N Gusher .

The girls also went on Humunga Kowabunga together but on the way down Izzy really hurt her back on the slats that join the pieces of the slide together A bit scraped and bruised, she was OK after a cuddle and a rest and we moved on to some tamer rides.

Miss Adventure Falls on the way up!

Selfie time

Gangplank Falls

We spent a good amount of time in the lazy river just floating and chilling (and pushing each other’s floats so the other person ended up floating underneath the waterfall of course)

For the final part of our morning we hung around in the wave pool. The closest we got was about half way - the noise of the waves forming really scared me I think I squealed every time

Cheese!

The girls in the water

After a fantastic morning we decided to call it a day and all went to the changing rooms to dry off and get in to our clothes. We had debated eating at TL but as DS was so close with such a great choice of restaurants it made sense to go there.

No photos Mum…

Stopping for a quick picture on the way

We went to the bus stop and asked the bus driver who was waiting in a SSR bus whether there was a bus going to DS but he said none did and the best thing to do was to get on the SSR bus and walk to DS. We had stayed at SSR before and taken the walk many times so we knew it wasn’t far and was a very pretty route so this wasn’t an issue at all.

The driver was lovely and really chatty and he said because we were the only ones on the bus he would drop us as close as he could to the DS path bless him

The sun was beating down as we walked along the path to DS. We even waved at some of the boats and amphicars and they waved back, which made the girls smile

Out of all the amazing QS choices in DS we just had to go with Blaze Pizza! I mean we'd hardly had any pizza all holiday...

We made it! It wasn’t hugely busy, which was nice as we could easily find a table inside.

We made our own custom pizzas. The girls had cheese, pepperoni and red onion to share, I had Cheese, pepperoni, mushrooms, artichokes, red onions and Italian sausage and Andy had the ‘Meat Eater’ which was pepperoni, crumbled meatballs, red onion, mozzarella but then he added chicken, bacon and red peppers too.

IG: _disneykate_
YouTube: DisneyKate

Edited at 08:15 PM.
bambikate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 20, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
The pizzas were was just as delicious as they always are - we had intended on saving some to have later as we thought it might be a bit much for lunch but with a bit of sharing between us we managed it all… whoops!

After lunch, we had a really lovely stroll around the Springs and did a bit of shopping

The socks on offer here were fantastic - we bought a pair of really cute golden retriever socks, which Andy loves to wear now.

It was such a gorgeous and hot day

We went to the Candy Cauldron to get some treats to take home and to watch them do some decorating from the window. They were making Maleficent rice krispie treats

After a fantastic few hours we walked to the bus stop to wait for a bus back to the Poly. It was about 20 minutes before one turned up, but whilst we were waiting we spotted a few of the cool new design buses including this Lion King one

After a short bus ride home we were back and walking to our room to relax for a short while before our dinner reservation at 6pm at California Grill.

We chilled in our room for a while, watching TV and taking turns to shower and get ready, it was soon time to walk to the monorail to to take the short journey to the Contemporary Resort for our reservation. We left at about 5:50pm which should have been plenty of time but as we got to the station we noticed everyone being turned around and they advised that the monorail was down.

They were suggesting people got the bus or the boats to their destinations but there was big crowd of people going towards those so we just booked a Lyft and managed to get there by 6:05, which all things considered wasn’t too bad.

Andy and I were celebrating being together for 15 years and Andy asked if they happened to have any seats by the window, all the ones facing MK were already pre booked but they said they did have one available in the room at the back with views of Bay Lake. We had dined in this room years ago and really liked how it was slightly secluded from the rest of the restaurant so gratefully accepted.

Somehow between them arranging this table for us and us being shown to our table they had managed to decorate it with this cute heart in Mickey Confetti - so sweet!

The gorgeous views

Our server told the girls that the confetti was ours to keep and gave us a tiny drawstring bag to take it home with at the end of the night.

Whilst deciding on our menu choices Immy rearranged the heart into a cute K and A for us

For cocktails, Andy chose the Ancho Rancho Spicy Margarita that he had had at brunch the other day which was Patrón Añejo Tequila, Ancho Reyes Chili Liqueur, Lime Juice, Agave Nectar.

I had a San Francisco Mai Tai which was Captain Morgan Spiced Rum, Almond Orgeat Syrup, Orange and Pineapple Juices, Gosling’s Black Seal Rum Floater.

The girls chose a mocktail which had orange juice and tropical juice on it (which I cannot seem to find on the CG menu online…)

Our server brought out some lovely fresh bread and butter for us to nibble on whilst we waited.

He also surprised us with a free glass of champagne each, which we were not expecting at all - so sweet. There was a lovely old couple behind me with their adult son and they saw our champagne and confetti and said they too were celebrating their anniversary - 45 years! We congratulated them and had a little chat. They seemed really lovely. At the end of their dinner they gave us their bag of confetti for the girls so they would have one each to take home, it was a really kind gesture.

Izzy ordered off the adult menu and chose the Poulet Rouge Chicken - Potato Dumplings, Leek Cream, Coal-fired Cabbage, Rye-Caraway Crumble, Leg Confit, Sherry Jus

Andy and I chose the Oak-fired Filet of Beef with Aged Gouda Macaroni and Cheese, Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Oxtail Marmalade, Red Wine-Sweet Onion Jus.

Immy chose the House-made Macaroni & Cheese with green beans from the kids menu

For dessert she chose the cookies and cream, which was house made cookies with vanilla ice cream

I chose the Apple Tarte Tatin - Applejack Brandy-roasted Granny Smith Apples, Cinnamon Streusel, Gooey Butter Cake Ice Cream

Andy chose the Warm Valrhona Chocolate Cake - Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, Milk Chocolate-whipped Panna Cotta, Pretzel Crunch.

I have to say although my dessert was lovely (I especially loved the butter cake ice cream) the apples were a little too hard for my liking and I was a little jealous of Andy’s rich, chocolatey and salty dessert, it was gorgeous.

After dinner we settled our bill and went for a walk on the viewing platform to see the gorgeous views and to get ready to watched Happily Ever After.

Andy went to the bar to get us another cocktail, I had the blackberry sour I had at brunch the other day and he had a margarita.

Selfie time

It wasn’t crowded at all by 9pm and we had a great view of the castle ready to watch the show. We absolutely adored watching it from up here - you could see the projections on the castle so well we couldn’t believe how clear they were from so far away.

The music being played through the speakers was also crystal clear and I got shivers hearing the music start. It felt really special.

After the fantastic show we joined the huge queue of people wanting to get into the lifts to leave CG… it was so busy because everyone had dined there earlier in the day was able to come back to see the fireworks and also everyone who had timed their dinners to coincide with the show!

After a few lifts full we made it downstairs and decided a sneaky trip to the Contemporary Arcade wouldn’t hurt before we caught the (now fully functioning) monorail back home.

A truly fantastic day

bambikate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 20, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

Another brill day. You have put so much detail in your water park trip - it always makes me laugh how people say “went to the water park, spent a few hours, came home”. Me included! Your day looked great.

What a perfect ending at Cali Grill! X
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 20, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another great day with more good food

Joan
Old 18 Apr 20, 04:40 AM  
Link to this Post
flo-tinka
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

The fireworks from CaliGrill, so special!
Congratulations on 15 years btw
flo-tinka is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 20, 07:27 AM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

Mobile

Another lovely day.
I’ve been really fancying a Blaze lately!
Your Cali meal sounded so good x
miss_mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 20, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Originally Posted by miss_mouse View Post
Another lovely day.
I’ve been really fancying a Blaze lately!
Your Cali meal sounded so good x
Thank you so much - ooh I'd kill for one right now x

Originally Posted by flo-tinka View Post
The fireworks from CaliGrill, so special!
Congratulations on 15 years btw
Ahh thank you x

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Another great day with more good food

Joan
Yay thank you x

Originally Posted by sheluk View Post
Another brill day. You have put so much detail in your water park trip - it always makes me laugh how people say “went to the water park, spent a few hours, came home”. Me included! Your day looked great.

What a perfect ending at Cali Grill! X
Haha I think I've written days like that on past trips too. Thank you so much xx

Old 2 May 20, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Mobile

Fun day at the water park - definitely looks like perfect weather for it.

California Grill and fireworks- a great way to spend your anniversary
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 20, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
Fun day at the water park - definitely looks like perfect weather for it.

California Grill and fireworks- a great way to spend your anniversary
Ahh thank you so much xx