Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 May 20, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Button17 View Post
Just to add, I would not have put a ceiling fan in our kids rooms due to safety issues. They coukd reach up, throw stuff up.
They are standard in most bedrooms in Florida including children's. I have never heard of any safety issues. Our house in the UK was a problem due to the height of the ceilings. The one in the master bedroom was fine because it was centered over a double bed but they wouldn't work if the beds were on the side.
Old 9 May 20, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I personally wouldn't recommend a portable air con unit to anyone. Some ceiling fans are cheap and aren't so great, but a half decent one fitted properly can be good. An alternative is a fan you fit on the wall and it just plugs into a socket so no electrical work required.
Thanks I'll look at that as an option as well
SquishTheWhale is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 20, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We have one in our bedroom over the bed, and in the summer it’s the best thing ever.

I’d have no issues putting one in the kids rooms. They couldn’t reach it unless they had a ladder (which they don’t) and they could throw anything in the air and hurt themselves. It would have to be something pretty substantial to break the fan. I’ve head butted ours a few times and it’s barely moved.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 20, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

To clarify, I’ve head butted it when I’ve been cleaning it 🤣🤣
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 20, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

The portable air con units work fabulously, if you have the right type of window.
You need to poke the hose outside, and you need to be able to close up the window so that no warm air gets back in.

They therefore work excellently with the windows that lift up, as they come with a horizontal strip with a hole cut in for the hose, but windows that open in/out aren’t ideal at all
Old 9 May 20, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
The portable air con units work fabulously, if you have the right type of window.
You need to poke the hose outside, and you need to be able to close up the window so that no warm air gets back in.

They therefore work excellently with the windows that lift up, as they come with a horizontal strip with a hole cut in for the hose, but windows that open in/out aren’t ideal at all
Ah didn't know that. We have windows that open out.
SquishTheWhale is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 20, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

We have one above our bed it’s a godsend as the upstairs main bedroom is always hot even in winter
The kids all have good quality fans in their rooms year round
This ceiling in our room is really quite cost about £500
mushumadness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 20, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

I work shifts and have a ceiling fan in the bedroom, have done for years. I use it day or night, summer and winter. The air circulation helps you sleep. At least that’s what the student from the university told me when he did a shift workers sleep study. I tried a tower fan but found it too noisy so fitted a ceiling fan. Not a hard job but I’m not sure about your ceiling rose in the pic, think you’ll have to chip it off first. Do it, you won’t regret it.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 20, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

We were looking (just before lockdown) for one for our bedroom. Going to do it in a nautical/ seaside/coastal theme, to remind us of holidays - and I fancy the airflow just as much as the look of it.
We'll get back on it after lockdown when I can get other stuff I need for the makeover
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 20, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post

I have ceiling fans in two of the bedrooms. I put them in 12 years ago, I bought the fans online but I can’t remember where and I got an electrician to install them as I would for any light fitting. I love my ceiling fans, couldn’t be without them.

I once thought about getting a ceiling fan when I lived in my first flat, the electrician told me that it was too heavy for the ceiling and wouldn’t install it as he said it would pull the ceiling down.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List