Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 May 20, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Thank for the info.

I have been considering fans for our bedroom, but dont think that will be much use.

These split AC units look really good and with a quick look they can be as low as 30db for internal noise levels.

Our bedroom is around 24 sqm so doenst need a huge unit. But our main room (kitchen/living/dining open plan) is maybe 46ish sqm with high vaulted ceilings so I reckon we need a 24,000 BTU unit.
Physical installation looks fairly straightforward, but I would obviously need professionals for the electrics and gas. I have two spare slots on my CU (I am assuming I would want these on a separate circuit).
Though TBH, I think supply and fit is the way to go for me.

Lots to think about.
The unit in my mancave is the biggest of all 4 (most powerful) because that is a big area. Only the mancave one is on a seperate circuit, the 3 in the bedrooms are on 13 amp fused connection units connected to the ring circuits (loft ring, first floor and ground floor). I could have run them on seperate circuits, but it was a waste of time and effort (not cost as I can do it myself), but we've never had any issue with the bedroom ones being on FCUs.

The unit in the front bedroom was the most awkward because it would have looked naff having the external compressor at the front of the house, so that had to run through into the back bedroom and then to the outside wall.

The 3 bedroom external units are fitted on wall brackets on the outside wall, and the mancave unit on the ground (slightly raised).

Edited at 11:22 AM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 20, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
The unit in my mancave is the biggest of all 4 (most powerful) because that is a big area. Only the mancave one is on a seperate circuit, the 3 in the bedrooms are on 13 amp fused connection units connected to the ring circuits (loft ring, first floor and ground floor). I could have run them on seperate circuits, but it was a waste of time and effort (not cost as I can do it myself), but we've never had any issue with the bedroom ones being on FCUs.

The unit in the front bedroom was the most awkward because it would have looked naff having the external compressor at the front of the house, so that had to run through into the back bedroom and then to the outside wall.

The 3 bedroom external units are fitted on wall brackets on the outside wall, and the mancave unit on the ground (slightly raised).
Thanks.

There is only really one external wall I can use for the compressors so would have to run the gas pipes to their. Seems these pipe runs can be up to 15m which should be fine for me. It is a gable wall (bungalow) so want to see how high off the ground I can get then. Hopefully at least 3m to the bottom os the units. I obviously beed to locate the internal units where it is easy to route the gas pipe. Hopefully that will be pretty straight forward.

I really should have thought about this when we were doing our refurb. and extension. But I think retrofit will be pretty simple.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 20, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Hi MH,
One more question - do these units normally have built in timers so that you can either turn them on/off at certain times, or vary the thermostat at different times per day?
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 20, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Hi MH,
One more question - do these units normally have built in timers so that you can either turn them on/off at certain times, or vary the thermostat at different times per day?
I believe all ours have timers on the remote controls, but I have never bothered to use them. If my mancave is hot I just put the aic con on for an hour before I go down there (or in the winter put the heater on an hour before I go down there). They all have temperature adjustment and will maintain the temperature you set them to.

As before, we put our bedroom units on an hour before we go to bed and then put them on low quiet mode when we go to bed as the rooms have reached the desired temperature.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 20, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

We have a Panasonic like MH in the living room, it’s a powerful one cos it’s bigger than we need really, and we have a large living room...
We don’t use the timer, just put it on as it’s needed and almost instantly cool, and quieter than a fan...
We don’t need one in the bedroom as it’s north facing and always cool... summer before last I was so hot in the living room even with fans that I had to go sit in the bedroom...
The unit has been a game changer as they say...
we chose are fitter based on a recommendation from my next door neighbour who had one fitted in his bedroom, and he always shops around extensively... wouldn’t have even attempted to fit it ourselves..

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater

Edited at 12:40 PM.
djewkes is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 20, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
We have a Panasonic like MH in the living room, it’s a powerful one cos it’s bigger than we need really, and we have a large living room...
We don’t use the timer, just put it on as it’s needed and almost instantly cool, and quieter than a fan...
We don’t need one in the bedroom as it’s north facing and always cool... summer before last I was so hot in the living room even with fans that I had to go sit in the bedroom...
The unit has been a game changer as they say...
we chose are fitter based on a recommendation from my next door neighbour who had one fitted in his bedroom, and he always shops around extensively... wouldn’t have even attempted to fit it ourselves..
Thanks for this.

If you dont mind me asking - what was the cost to supply and install?
Old 10 May 20, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

Thanks for this.

If you dont mind me asking - what was the cost to supply and install?
It was about £850 I think, thereabouts, 3 men took a couple of hours, a bit easier fit as it’s a bungalow...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 20, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

MH, do I have to fit the fan on a light fitting? Or can it go anywhere if the electrician installs it? The light fitting in our bedroom is weirdly almost in the corner of the room
SquishTheWhale is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 20, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
MH, do I have to fit the fan on a light fitting? Or can it go anywhere if the electrician installs it? The light fitting in our bedroom is weirdly almost in the corner of the room
You don't have to although must people do because they have the power source where the light is so the fans usually have a light built in (not usually in Florida villas as they have wall lights and not many ceiling lights from my experience).

Sometimes it's necessary to install the fan away from the light especially if someone wants the fan directly over a bed (or their light is in the corner like yours etc). Everything is doable, and if the fan is being fitted in an upstairs bedroom in a different area away from the light fitting then usually loft access makes it fairly straightforward to run the fan's power source. This can sometimes be a pain though if the loft is boarded and/or full of rubbish (I've refused to do such jobs because the loft can't be accessed due to 80 years of rubbish dumped up there).

The ceiling bedroom lights in my local houses (including mine) were always fitted at the front of the house about 12" from the windows/curtains. I have moved many including mine to the centre of the room. I've often been asked why the ceiling bedroom lights were fitted so close to a window, and that was because if someone was getting undressed their silhouette wouldn't have been from outside the house (especially with thin curtains).

I prefer the ceiling fans that have remote controls because the amount of fans where people have pulled the chain or cord too hard and broken the switch is common. I do think that ceiling fans can work well if properly positioned (and safely fitted).

Edited at 02:51 PM.
Old 10 May 20, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
It was about £850 I think, thereabouts, 3 men took a couple of hours, a bit easier fit as it’s a bungalow...
That is a very good price for a large panasonic unit supplied and fitted.