Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 May 20, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
WendyBelle
Excited about Disney

do 'neighbour issue, do 'smokeless' fuels for burners smell?

A dibb friend had good general advice on a problem on here so i thought I'd ask for advice please. A new neighbour has moved in and burns stinky black smokey fuel in their inside burner. We have our windows open most of time in summer even at night, this smoke comes in and smells awful. They had a chimney with a high flue put on their extension. Unfortunately for us their smoke floats above their next doors gardens so doesnt annoy them but hits our garden because of prevailing winds and layout of trees. We are in a clean air area and asked them nicely in a note to burn the correct material but it got worse, burning plastic etc so we contacted EH and they phoned them and the neighbour just lied about what they were burning and EH beleived them. Said they were already burning correct fuel? End of case. It is continuing and it is making my life a misery. As son as it gets dark on the fire goes, and on colder days its on all day, on and off smoke all day.
I wondered if anyone who had one of these or knew about them could tell me, does the 'smokeless' fuel smell? is it supposed to smell of coal? (I know when they are burning wet wood and plastic as those smells are obvious) and do the smokeless fuel actually create any dark smoke?
Old 28 May 20, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

We used smokeless for years and prefer them for this reason.
They shouldnt have black smoke or a strong smell. If they were burning peat, then it would be a nice smell.
Obviously they must be burning the wrong coal or something else as well.

The problem is they only have to buy a bag of smokeless and have it sitting open. If EH make a visit and see it they will just believe them, unless they catch them in the act with black smoke coming out of the chimney.

Maybe take a video, but not from your property and somewhere very public as they may get to see the video and submit this to EH.

The next issue is, and i stress this, report them annom unless you care that they may find out who reported them.

If you report a neighbour for things like this, noise etc then its very possible for them to find out who reported them if they really want to. Plus if you sell your house and a buyer asks have you had any issues with neighbours, then legally you would have to answer yes if you have reported them using your name.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
WendyBelle
Excited about Disney

thanks for reply. Can I ask, should there be any black smoke at all, even when starting up, and you say shouldnt be a strong smell, should you be able to smell coal 4 houses away?
It is all so horrible, we asked them nicely and left phone no to contact and discuss if they wanted, we explained my elderly aunt lives with us and has COPD yet they carried on in fact did it more. We had no choice it to contact EH because of my aunt. EH won't come out to see them despite us saying we have lots of footage of smoke over different days and say case closed because they SAID they were burning correct material. Im angry with EH lack of response.
Old 28 May 20, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
If you are in a smokeless area then they can do something but if you are in a normal area then they can do nothing as they say they are burning the correct material.
Mazbar is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
WendyBelle
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Mazbar View Post
If you are in a smokeless area then they can do something but if you are in a normal area then they can do nothing as they say they are burning the correct material.
we are in a smokeless area for sure, definitely, and still they took their word
Old 28 May 20, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Mobile

Smokeless fuel is not actually smokeless, we have a log burner and when I go outside sometimes I can smell it and certainly see smoke coming out of our chimney, we only buy smokeless fuel (we are not In a smokeless area) and we only have them on a Saturday with wine in the winter.

They might be using the correct fuel.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
WendyBelle
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by JessBlu View Post
Smokeless fuel is not actually smokeless, we have a log burner and when I go outside sometimes I can smell it and certainly see smoke coming out of our chimney, we only buy smokeless fuel (we are not In a smokeless area) and we only have them on a Saturday with wine in the winter.

They might be using the correct fuel.
thanks , smells of coal? like an old coal fire
Old 28 May 20, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
WendyBelle
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by WendyBelle View Post
sorry meant to add, seems very unfair if they are using correct fuel that it impacts on us and stinks our house out. At times they are def not using the right stuff as we get wet wood smells and copious brown smoke and they have been burning plastic with acrid smell too.
Old 28 May 20, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Personally I hate the smell of smokeless fuel, it stinks. I work on rooftops next to chimneys and some people think it is fine to put a big scoop on the fire when I’m next to the pot. One other thing it is highly corrosive the fumes from smokeless fuel.
Mazbar is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WendyBelle View Post
Yes, no smell in the house but I’ve been to the bin before and smelt it.
I believe certain woods are classed as smokeless.

Edited at 03:51 PM.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List