Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 22 Nov 17, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile Discovery cove worth it?

Basically is discovery cove worth going? I may have already answered my own question but was looking for some opinions to help me 100%

We are going back to orlando in April for 12 days and already have Disney and universal passes. It's my birthday and was thinking of doing something special and wondered wether discovery cove is worth it? Not to sound spoilt but I've already done a dolphin swim in Jamaica and swam with rays and sharks in Dominican which was amazing but has obviously now been ticked off the bucket list.
We are travelling down the coast later in the trip and I really want to do a kayak trip and hope to see dolphins in the wild - wondered if anyone had done both (kayak and discovery) and which was better?

I'm also waiting to see what the blue Friday offers are which I think will help sway my decision! (But then thinking we would be squeezing too much in as would then want to do seaworld / aquatica and busch!)

I was also planning on cali grill the night of my bday so not sure if I would be pushing it with times and after a day of all inclusive wouldn't appreciate the meal so much!

Sorry first world problems hey!
Thanks
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
heedtheba
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Discovery cove is the best park in orlando
heedtheba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

We had an amazing day at DC this year with the kids. However, I’ve previously done a dolphin swim in Mexico which I would say was superior so if it’s just about the dolphins then I’d be inclined to say don’t bother.

There is so much more to the park though. It is beautiful, relaxing and a great way to spend a day. The aviary was a firm favourite!
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Gillybean08
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile

We loved it! It's not just the dolphin swim, its the full day in gorgeous relaxing surroundings and a fantastic lazy river, my boys wanted to go back the second week. The staff are great and we weren't rushed at closing time its just honestly so relaxed! We sat with one last drink talking to staff and watching the sun go down. We have also eaten at Cali Grill and had a table at the window with view of the castle and fireworks. It was really special but the food was a let down, we preferred our BOG dinner tbh for food. I wouldn't do both on the same day as I wouldn't want to rush from one to the other and getting ready and all that goes with it after such a relaxing day
Gillybean08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

I'm sure you will get loads of replies saying absolutely yes it is worth it, and don't get me wrong we had a great day there and thought it good value for money with everything that was included in the ticket price.

But... for it to be worth the money I think you need to use Sea World and aquatica if not Busch tickets too, and given you are already doing Disney and universal in 12 days you won't have much spare time.

Also, I had previously swam with dolphins in Mexico and in comparison the dolphin swim at discovery cove is very poor. It is more of an interaction then one short fin pull by one dolphin. It was fine for the ages our kids were and them not knowing any different, but disappointing for my husband and me. In Mexico we had 2 dolphins who did the fin pull (one in each hand), also did them pushing us by their noses on our feet so you raise up out of the water, dolphins jumping over bars we held over our heads etc.

I wouldn't hesitate to go back to DC if the price was right and I could make good use of the SW and AQ tickets but I wouldn't do the dolphin swim there again.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 17, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
amandajane10
Imagineer

amandajane10's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I have been 3 times now and booked our 4th for next year but non swim. We will say its our best day of the holidays. I wouldn't advise a dinner reservation tho as you will be full of all day snacking and drinking lol. But as said you need to do Seaworld and Aquatica imo to get the moneys worth out of it.
Villa Holiday May 2018
Planning Easter 2020
amandajane10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 17, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Geordie boy 57
Imagineer

Geordie boy 57's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We are doing DC for the first time next year now granddaughter is old enough
At first glance it did seem expensive but as we intend to do Seaworld, Aquatica and Busch on next trip the price seems good to me
Can't wait to show granddaughter DVD of what she will be doing on her reveal day at Christmas
2018 3 weeks Dibb villa/1 night Clearwater/1 night RPR
2023 Christmas/New Year. Clearwater/Dibb villa/HRH
Geordie boy 57 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 17, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Worth every penny , we’ve done the dolphin swim and non swim. We did the non swim 2 weeks ago and at the end of the day the trainer let us take photos of the dolphins close up while they were playing. It’s a great day away from the parks and so much to do as well.
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 17, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Wow thanks everyone for your replies!

I must admit I still can't decide and the blue Friday prices have just been released at $254 each... hmm the other half has said no but I may go against him 😂 but geordieprincess you have stated exactly the reasons why I'm not so sure...

( we were also lifted into the air by the dolphins which was incredible, although I know now that they do not like to do that as it can hurt the dolphins, which is understandable, but it made the experience for me when I look back)

Edited at 10:50 PM.
Old 23 Nov 17, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

And yes if we do it i will 're think plan of which day as after the last holiday I could hardly eat due to the heat! So wouldn't want to waste money on a meal that we wouldn't enjoy on the same day!