Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Mar 18, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
CosmicGirl
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I've had to scan my Magicband when returning to the resort via taxi. I didn't have a car.
Again, quite simple: they can make taxis pass by the security guard who can scan your magicband if he wants to but on a system that simply checks if you're a guest or not without registering you "as a car".
CosmicGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 18, 01:15 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

It's definitely reverted back to no charges on some web pages- disneyworld.disney.go/en...vices/parking/
Old 16 Mar 18, 03:01 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Personally it won't encourage me to eat on site. Instead of a split stay we will stay off site for the whole stay , pay a heck of a lot less for accomadation , pay for park parking rather than resort parking (it's roughly the same arguably less as we don't do the parks every single day ) and have the savings made on accomadation to spend (and as staying off site far less likely to spend it with Disney) as extra. Inevitably more of those meals will be off site .
I think Disney have misread the market certainly in the U.K. In crossing from expensive to gouging.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 18, 06:14 AM  
Link to this Post
kcsunshine73
Imagineer

kcsunshine73's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by cheekytink View Post
There has been lots of interesting discussion around this - and Previous posters - that's exactly what Disney want.
They want to reduce the number of visitors with cars - it makes is significantly more likely that you will remain on site and spend your $$$ on site, rather than popping off to Walmart, Cracker Barrell etc. If they penalise you for having a vehicle on site, then many many more people will use ME, Minnie Vans, buses and the gondola-system when it is open. PLUS the additional revenue for those people who still choose to have (or have to) have a car on site.

I understand why they have done it, but I don't have to like it.
Yep. This.
DL SanFrancisco to Anaheim Discovery Aug '23 ; WDW Emerald Isle/Florida Keys Dec'18/Jan'19; Dolphin, NYE 2015 DL HROC - 2013-14 Anaheim/LA/San Diego Tokyo Tokyo Disney Sea -April 2013 WDW - Tuscan Villa, GrandFlo & POFQ - Christmas 2012 WDW - Westridge, DCL Magic, ASMu 2011 DLRP - all the hotels (APHs 2007-2011) DLRP SF - March 2006 - DLRP DCR - August 2005 WDW Kissimmee - June 1984
kcsunshine73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 18, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by cheekytink View Post
There has been lots of interesting discussion around this - and Previous posters - that's exactly what Disney want.
They want to reduce the number of visitors with cars - it makes is significantly more likely that you will remain on site and spend your $$$ on site, rather than popping off to Walmart, Cracker Barrell etc. If they penalise you for having a vehicle on site, then many many more people will use ME, Minnie Vans, buses and the gondola-system when it is open. PLUS the additional revenue for those people who still choose to have (or have to) have a car on site.

I understand why they have done it, but I don't have to like it.
That seems like a logical deduction. Obviously doesn't work for every guest though. We are one of the ones that usually splits our stay onsite/offsite, but we only stay onsite if we get DDP. If we have DDP then we won't be spending any extra $$$ with Disney whether we are captive or not. Without DDP we will stay entirely offsite and miss out on the EMH but save a shed load in the process.

Also, I don't buy the "Well Universal does it so Disney should" argument. Disney has so much land in Orlando, parking space should never be a problem for them. I think Universal are more restricted (still doesn't make it right).

Mind you - I wholly object to paying parking fees at any hotel and will avoid them wherever possible for that single reason.

If Disney really wants to raise their income from parking then stop the freeloaders parking at the hotels to go to the parks.
Old 16 Mar 18, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Cha cha
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Burgmeister View Post
That seems like a logical deduction. Obviously doesn't work for every guest though. We are one of the ones that usually splits our stay onsite/offsite, but we only stay onsite if we get DDP. If we have DDP then we won't be spending any extra $$$ with Disney whether we are captive or not. Without DDP we will stay entirely offsite and miss out on the EMH but save a shed load in the process.

Also, I don't buy the "Well Universal does it so Disney should" argument. Disney has so much land in Orlando, parking space should never be a problem for them. I think Universal are more restricted (still doesn't make it right).

Mind you - I wholly object to paying parking fees at any hotel and will avoid them wherever possible for that single reason.

If Disney really wants to raise their income from parking then stop the freeloaders parking at the hotels to go to the parks.
Totally agree!

We don't tend to drive at WDW and rely on their bus system 😁
But, I can't believe that hotel guests will have pay to park but day visitors may be able to continue to park their car at resort all day for free to avoid paying for parking at the parks and taking space on the already overcrowded buses to the parks.

Crazy! 😕
Cha cha is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 18, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
cringer
a Friend of the DIBB

This doesn't seem well thought out as the Hotel prices are already significant and it means if you visit a park other than Disney you are going to be paying for parking twice. When they say bookings made before the end of 2019 does this mean you can book during 2019 for 2020 and not pay the parking if you are a UK customer?
cringer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 18, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
It's definitely reverted back to no charges on some web pages- disneyworld.disney.go/en...vices/parking/

well, on the webpage you link, it's definitely still there

Overnight Self-Parking

Effective for reservations made March 21, 2018 and thereafter, standard overnight self-parking is available to registered Guests for a fee that will be applied to their hotel folio upon check-out. All parking fees include applicable tax.

Standard Overnight Parking charges per Resort Category:

Disney Value Resorts: $13 per night
Disney Moderate Resorts: $19 per night
Disney Deluxe and Deluxe Villa Resorts: $24 per night

Complimentary standard parking is available to Guests staying at the Campsites at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort. Each campsite provides parking space for one (1) motorized vehicle.

so I don't know if it need to propagate to all their servers, mirrors or whatever, but it's still "policy" as far as what shows on their website

---

now, as I objected on another forum, if they backtrack and go back to the no parking charge, don't be to worried for the mouse.
the little rodent will eventually get the money from you
2019 prices are not out yet ... hmmm ... doesn't that sound weird ... ok let me be cynical ... they tried to push the parking charge before the release of rack rate ... so if they need to go back on this they can still incorportate it into the room rates

well, a $25 increase in room charge on a $500 deluxe room ... this can go unnoticed and people would go : "hmmm it's dearer than last year" and the next guest will go "just like the year before, and the year before that" ... and both guests will sigh and still book their holiday, being so grateful free dining was released again ...

bottomline : we'll be paying it no matter what, no matter how.
and if there is too much backlash on the parking charge, it will be integrated into the rack rate, meaning that everyone staying onsite will pay the parking fees, even if they use Magical Express and Disney Transportation ... so ... don't be too worried about the mouse's income

Edited at 02:26 PM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 18, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Disdaydream
Excited about Disney

Disdaydream's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
I guess I am not surprised that Disney has found another way to charge a fee ... but what I don't understand is the way they have chosen to do it, by separating it out and labeling it, showing people that it is a removal of a previously "free" perk.

They must have known this was always going to make people unhappy, its the perks and little extras that make you feel special when staying at a Disney Resort, so why choose to do it this way I wonder, rather than just add more onto room rate?

Along with the diluting of other perks such as the fastpass booking window and the Extra Magic hours many of the "little perks" are rapidly being erroded

If they are purely trying to reduce car numbers and encourage people to not leave Disney property, it may work ... but they have upset a whole lot of loyal customers and potentially put even more pressure on the Disney bus/transport system which always seems overstretched already ... making yet another perk less attractive

Edited at 06:01 PM.
Disdaydream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 18, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneysue
Excited about Disney

Will this include DVC members? We don't get that many privileges as it is, so surely we are not included in it.