Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 31 Aug 19, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Really wished I hadn't opened this thread 😩

I have been having a few issues , went to see the Doc , who is so softly spoken and reassuring, he suggested it was probably time to do an endoscopy
He just recommended going for extra sedation.

But the way he said it , it was as though it was popping round for a cup of coffee and a doughnut

I guess I thought if there was an option to be not sedated , then it can't be sooooo bad. Sounds like I was wrong

Hopefully though it will be all ok and I won't need the other option 💩
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
soraia
Very Serious Dibber

I'm actually having one on Thursday and am feeling SO anxious. I had one about 10 years ago and it was hugely traumatic as it went wrong. I only had the throat spray that time and am going for sedation this time but as each day is getting closer I'm panicking more and more. I know it can't be as bad as the last one but my emotions are all over the place!
soraia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Loretta
Proud to wear my Ears

I had one a few years ago with sedation. I was apprehensive simply because I always had an issue with any procedure that was near my face being sedated meant that wasn’t an issue. I also had biopsies taken but had no side affects or discomfort after the procedure. Much easier than a colonoscopy with the horrible prep and spending a day close to home.
Loretta is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
lyn1
Imagineer

I have had it 5 times with just the throat spray as I wanted to drive myself home, I hated it each time. I was gagging from start to finish, really unpleasant.
Old 31 Aug 19, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
nonnie
Excited about Disney

My mum has had both done a few times with a colonoscopy last Wednesday, dropped her off at 8.30am, phoned at 9.30am and told collect her at 10.30am. Sitting in our local cafe at 11am and this is after sedation, she is 80 with numerous health conditions and it was plain sailing and she can't remember anything. She has had an endoscopy with just the spray (pressured into it) and it wasn't nice, but another twice with the sedation and was absolutely fine.

My friend was in on Thursday for an endoscopy with sedation and and was very very nervous, she text me that night to say it was fine and she didn't recall a thing about it, definitely ask for sedation and don't let your mum be pressured into the throat spray and I'm sure she'll be fine xx
nonnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Wow DH & I must be exceptions then, we have both had one, I was told I would have a local anesthetic but that I would remember nothing once it was over. I remember being asked to lay in my side & that's all I remember! I awoke/ came round feeling nothing but hungry and was asked if I would like a sandwich which I ate and enjoyed. That was it! DH had a similar experience but said he was awake all the time as had refused anything so that he could drive himself home afterwards, which he did, he said he gagged a bit when he had to swallow the endoscope & had a bit of a sore throat that day. Was more peeved he did not get offered the sandwich I told him he would get. Both of us got the all clear but he was told he had a small hernia that was causing his reflux.
Old 31 Aug 19, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
Wow DH & I must be exceptions then, we have both had one, I was told I would have a local anesthetic but that I would remember nothing once it was over. I remember being asked to lay in my side & that's all I remember! I awoke/ came round feeling nothing but hungry and was asked if I would like a sandwich which I ate and enjoyed. That was it! DH had a similar experience but said he was awake all the time as had refused anything so that he could drive himself home afterwards, which he did, he said he gagged a bit when he had to swallow the endoscope & had a bit of a sore throat that day. Was more peeved he did not get offered the sandwich I told him he would get. Both of us got the all clear but he was told he had a small hernia that was causing his reflux.
Yep, as above, same experience for me as your husband. Just throat spray, drove to shops afterwards to do some Christmas shopping. Apart from throat feeling a bit numb for an hour, no other impact.

Am surprised at some of the responses on here but I suppose everyone is different.
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneySarah
Apprentice Imagineer

DisneySarah's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I had one last month with sedation and it was absolutely fine. I do remember bits of it, and I did gag but at the time I didn’t care.
Old 31 Aug 19, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by gl20 View Post
Yep, as above, same experience for me as your husband. Just throat spray, drove to shops afterwards to do some Christmas shopping. Apart from throat feeling a bit numb for an hour, no other impact.

Am surprised at some of the responses on here but I suppose everyone is different.
It’s the biopsies that caused the problem for me, don’t know what they did but every time they took a sample I felt a rush of wind being pushed up from my stomach and that’s when I’d be sick.

I have a bad gag reflex anyway though, can’t brush my teeth in the morning without gagging and I can’t swallow pills either, I guess my tachycardia shows how bad mine was for me!

I don’t think I could have one done again or if I did I’d have to have sedation.

Edited at 09:28 PM.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I was dreading having my endoscopy as I also have a bad gag reflex. I had the throat spray and was fine.
Don’t worry too much. I went to the hospital on my own and just rang husband to pick me up. It was nowhere near as bad as I expected.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List