Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Mar 20, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Do you think financial security is going to become more important than holidays?

We all have different ways of saving and spending, some have a big back up pot others have little or none.

I like to have a stash for a rainy day, it comes from being very poor in my 20s.

Do you think the current uncertain times will alter the way you spend and save?
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 20, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
rasmus
Imagineer

rasmus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We need people to come here on holiday to survive financially...
January 2019-Cabana bay/Homewood suites
rasmus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 20, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Yes possibly. We have very little savings, preferring to live life for the now but if our holiday in the summer doesn’t go ahead we’ll probably use that 10K for a safety cushion.
If it does go ahead and things get back to some relative normality we’ll slowly build up more of a savings pot regardless

Edited at 01:00 PM.
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 20, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by rasmus View Post
We need people to come here on holiday to survive financially...
I dont think I'm suggesting no one will go on holiday, I am asking whether their priorities will change.

But I do understand what you are saying
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 20, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Nothing will change for me, I love my holidays but I have never put holidays before my financial security.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 20, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

I'd say always financial security is a priority over holidays

we are very fortunate to have both but if it was a choice would be the former every time
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 20, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

I wouldn't put financial security above a holiday anyway, having been on the bones of my backside years ago when I was a single parent and not working I have over the years become more money savvy. After what happened with my OH yesterday I'm glad we have a pot of money to fall back onto, we do have holidays but don't over commit to what we payout. Once all this is over we hopefully have a couple of holidays paid for to look forward too, we will visit places it's heartbreaking to see posts online of tourist places we've been to in past that are struggling 😭
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 20, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post

I grew up in reduced circumstances, it looked like we had the nice house but my parents were in hock for it and we kids suffered in terms of clothes or any kind of treats, the pressure that put on their marriage made home life like a pressure cooker and I vowed I would never live like that.

I've played a very safe game but I sleep at night and that's what means the most to me.

We often see threads here that run something like we have a small nest egg shall we blow it or go to Florida, almost to a man the answer is blow it.

If this goes where it's alleged to go people are going to have such a wake up call. Houses will be lost and families will be shattered.

I remember in one of the bust scenarios about thirty years ago a friend of mine buying a house thirty odd thousands under it's value putting the owners in negative equity for that amount.

From what I've observed down the decades some people will take from this and contingency plan but most will carry on regardless.

The best tip I can give is to choose the options that allows you to sleep at night.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 20, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I have always purchased my vacations with ‘spare money’, I.e money that is truly disposable income.

When I actually leave for that vacation, I have paid it off and in addition, my spending money is also written off.

I buy flights with cash and then construct the vacation in the months that follow when I have further spare cash.

I would only fail in this model once.. and then I would miss the following one in order to buy a greater portion of the one after, right at the start.

If I had to borrow to vacation, then I would not vacation. It would be a summer spent on the kayaks and in addition, the footpaths of the Cornish Coasts with a picnic in the rucksack. That is why I chose to live in West Cornwall when I left the Army and joined the Police 32 years ago.

Very Fortunately, and in the event of job loss, I can survive on my Pensions. My mortgage is very small.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 20, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Nothing will change for me, I love my holidays but I have never put holidays before my financial security.
this is us

I do not understand the holidays before financial security. Live for today attitude is great if you have money
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List