Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Mar 20, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Booked today... for August 2020 !

I was cancelled by the Volcano, had Egypt cancelled by the Sinai aircraft bomb detonation, had my PCH drive in 2018 stymied by the mud slide, now cancelled by Covid19... I am used to vacation disappointment and feel akin to the ‘unsinkable Molly Brown’ (google her).

Well, we can sit and mope about matters .. or optimistically look to the future (whilst protecting our investment). We are Husband, Wife and boys of 17 and 14.

Tonight, having established that my BA refund is coming, as are pretty much every other outlay on my original plan, I booked with American Airlines. American are offering free change of booking etc and of course if they cannot deliver, then it is refund time... again.

19 August LHR to Phoenix AZ direct with AA
02 September SFO to LHR direct with British Airways.

We are planning loosely around the following...
Straight to Tucson to see the legendary Davis Monthan desert boneyard and Pima Air Museum. Number 1 on my worldwide bucket list after seeing the USAF museum last summer. To say that Mandie is thrilled is an understatement.. She is quite utterly speechless.. possibly with joy?

Drive back to Phoenix and see what’s there (don’t yet even know)... yet.

Drive to Burbank and in so doing see lots of desert, cacti and a Joshua tree.

Universal Studios and Warner Bros studio tour. If up and running. If not, then USS Iowa (if open). (Mandie’s suggestion)

Pismo or Madonna Inn as a base to venture up as far as Hearst Castle and San Simeon plus a morning horse riding at Pismo.

Drive PCH taking in Bixby, Pfeiffer, Big Sur and Partington. It was shut on our last visit.

Drive up to Monterey for Whale Watch, aquarium or both. Depends if Blues and Orcas have been sighted in the days preceding.

Drive on for a bit of SFO including
Love Tour
Haunted SFO tour
A day cycling, Golden Gate Park, Sutra baths, Golden Gate, Bonito Point.
Possibly 6 flags if open.

Fly home.

Clearly this may not happen and with this in mind, all bookings will be refundable with the option of changing flights to a later date if nothing/ not enough is open. Attractions will be bought late in the day.

My haste to book is fuelled by the current collapsing pound value and also the anticipated chaotic rush with jacked up prices should business resume.
I now have my flights at the same price as 5 days ago before the pound plummeted. (I have been monitoring lots of other options as well as this one).
I have $4000 plus dollars in spending money (as opposed to £ s waiting to become spending money). Mainly purchased at 1.26 and above.

I suppose It’s a ‘risk it for a biscuit’ scenario with nothing to lose if it doesn’t happen. Many are saying ‘let’s wait an see’, but at the end of the day, why when there is free cancellation? .. it is for sure that prices will soar, just like after the Volcano.

If business has not resumed in 5 months, then the World will be bankrupt!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:01 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 20, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

I have a live booking for August and have some hope I will be able to go - without hope we give in.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 20, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I have a live booking for August and have some hope I will be able to go - without hope we give in.
That is very true and good luck with your booking.

If you are unfortunate and lose it, then just look to the future and book again. Life goes on.

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 20, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
simbamad
Imagineer

simbamad's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We also go in August, praying we still get to go but also trying to mentally prepare myself and not be too disappointed if we don't.
Old 20 Mar 20, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Minniebella
VIP Dibber

We have everything crossed for August 🤞🏼
Minniebella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 20, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
rosetom
slightly serious Dibber

rosetom's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Good luck everyone you'll going to need it
rosetom is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 20, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Life is always better with positivity and optimism.

I ain’t no eeyore!

Old 20 Mar 20, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
KayLouise
Very Serious Dibber

I have everything crossed for everyone planning to go this year.
I'd been feeling pretty deflated after reading some (rather doomsday) posts on the Dibb recently saying even next year looks unlikely. The thought of our holiday next year is the only thing keeping me going at the moment!
This little bit of optimism amongst the dark has really perked me up, so thank you Cornishfrogboy, wishing you lots of luck!

Edited at 04:56 PM.
KayLouise is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 20, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Risk it for a biscuit

I thought it was only my crazy DH who said this! Thanks for the giggle and I hope the world sembles slight normality by then and your trip is a go!
Old 20 Mar 20, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Sounds like a great itinerary. Its good to be positive Hope it all happens for you.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List