Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Mar 20, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Mobile Tiling info please?

Received our bathroom order at the weekend and just checking it all off. However we have been sent floor tiles, not sure if that is correct for walls? Interweb says you can but these are very heavy. Going to check with bathrooms designer but obviously getting replacements at the moment will be an issue. Any info or ideas? Thanks x
Old 23 Mar 20, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Lucyjane45xxx
Imagineer

Not a tiling expert by any means, however we recently had our three bathrooms done, all in the same tile.
The same tile as been used for both the walls and the floors. I think they are 40cm x 40cm slabs and they are very heavy!
"The Superfan & The Skeptic" - Trip Report Index Here
Lucyjane45xxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 20, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I have used Floor tiles on walls many times.

Obviously I would never use wall tiles on floors.

Many tiles are for both floor and wall.

I would simply research the tile through the manufacturers website or brochure for reassurance, then carry on.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 20, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

When we did our bathrooms last year we ran into the same problem. We ended up chasing a range that had separate floor and wall tiles. Our tiler and builder both advised strongly against using heavy floor tiles on the walls.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 20, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I have used Floor tiles on walls many times.

Obviously I would never use wall tiles on floors.

Many tiles are for both floor and wall.

I would simply research the tile through the manufacturers website or brochure for reassurance, then carry on.
This exactly.

We have 2ft x 1ft floor tiles in the kitchen and if they went on a wall I would never walk in that room in case they fell off!

Most gear out there though is dual purpose. As CFB says check out the spec and invariably they are fine for both uses.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 20, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
I'd have no problem with this whatever.

We have 2' x 1' travertine tiles in the villa Master bathroom and those beasties are HEAVY. Personally, I wouldn't used pre-mixed adhesive for floor tiles. I tried to safe a few bob by using some pre-mixed in my downstairs toilet floor - disaster. It was only when I used the proper powder floor adhesive that I got a good grippy mix that actually set.

EDIT: Link here:

porcelainsuperstore.co.u...tile-adhesive/

Regards

Gary

Edited at 01:37 PM.
Tetrarch is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 20, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Tetrarch View Post
I'd have no problem with this whatever.

We have 2' x 1' travertine tiles in the villa Master bathroom and those beasties are HEAVY. Personally, I wouldn't used pre-mixed adhesive for floor tiles. I tried to safe a few bob by using some pre-mixed in my downstairs toilet floor - disaster. It was only when I used the proper powder floor adhesive that I got a good grippy mix that actually set.

EDIT: Link here:

porcelainsuperstore.co.u...tile-adhesive/

Regards

Gary
My understanding is that Pre mix requires air in order to set. On a large tile, this is not always going to go well.

2 part mix relies on a chemical reaction and is therefore going to work everywhere that the adhesive is placed.

Moral.. although ready mix looks the easy solution and is certainly more convenient... only use two part.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List