Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 7 Feb 20, 12:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Lorbs
Excited about Disney

Sat Nav on Mobile

Can anyone recommend which app you use for Sat Nav on your mobile phone in Florida. I am looking for something which doesn’t use my data which I seem to have read on here before?
Ps. What settings do I adjust on my mobile once I arrive so I can only use on WiFi for WhatsApp.
Thanks...
Lorbs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 12:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

OP, there are lots of options. One is to use Google Maps and download an area of interest before you travel and then turn data off on the phone.

Another is to download the 'Here' app and download the relevant US Map, set to Navigate offline and again, turn data off on the phone.

Not sure if you use Android or Apple, but you can pull down from the top and turn mobile data off. Otherwise, go into Settings and head for the Sim Cards and Mobile Networks area and turn off mobile data.

Edited at 12:44 AM.
Northerndave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Steveje
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

I used google maps, downloaded the latest map of the area just prior to leaving uk. Had no problems whatsoever. Worked perfect.
Steveje is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Red C
Imagineer

Mobile

Another for Google Maps
Mrs Red C is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I'm 74 so don't expect cutting edge information on mobile phones from me. I've only just moved on from an abacus to a calculator.

We don't use satnav much over there - maybe once a visit if we're going to new out of the way places. Like others have said Joan has "here we go" on her phone. Download the Florida maps here. True you don't get live traffic data but here's one to start you off. "I-4 extremely busy near Maitland"

We put our mobiles on "Flight mode" as we leave the UK and they stay that way all through the holiday. We communicate with our family using "WhatsApp" in wifi locations.

I simply don't trust phone company's data roaming. We had it free in USA last April with Vodafone. It became chargeable in November but they didn't bother to tell us they'd stopped the free roaming.

Mick

Edited at 08:46 AM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Invisible Man
Getting Excited

If you are not using data then as others have said download the latest map from Google and away you go.
Our phone is with Three so we get the traffic as well, but still found Google maps or Waze worked best for us, but many others are available and it’s about personal choice really.
Invisible Man is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Steveje
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Another advantage of using the system you are familiar with in uk when driving abroad is one less thing to get used too when driving on wrong side of road!
Steveje is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Mobile

Just use google maps, you can run it off line or if ya on 3 the data is in your roaming plan. If your not on 3 the payg cards are availible.
Old 8 Feb 20, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
philinmerthyr
Imagineer

Google maps and if you get lucky your rental car will have CarPlay which makes it all very easy. We picked up a jeep with CarPlay yesterday and the system is exactly the same as my Peugeot 2008 at home.

Day 1 and awake at 4:30am
Old 8 Feb 20, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
the_weird_one
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

If your on Apple i've been using Magic Earth recently which allows download of maps over wifi, used without a data connection and is CarPlay ready.

I've never had any luck with Google Maps, any time its had to recalculate a route I've lost all voice navigation
the_weird_one is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List